The High Valley of Engadine is called “the Pearl of the Alps” for a reason. It offers endless high-mountain sceneries with turquoise blue lakes and small valleys leading to sparkling glaciers and idyllic villages scattered along the course of the river Inn. You will pass Silvaplana and St. Moritz and marvel at the glistening glaciers of the nearby Bernina range.
- Breathtaking mountain landscapes
- Well-preserved natural environment with rich fauna
- Local villages with genuine architecture
- Comfortable accommodation
Click to view map
Day 1: Maloja
Arrive in Maloja (1803 m) for an overnight and breakfast. Maloja is a green oasis at the end of the valley of the river Inn. Ségantini, a painter from Maloja, found his inspiration in these breathtaking landscapes on the shore of the lake, at the foot of Longhin Peak and the beautiful Val Forno glacier.
- Accommodation: Hotel Pöstli or similar
Day 2: Maloja – St Moritz | 18 km
After starting in Maloja, you soon reach Heididorf (Heidi’s village), called Grevasalvas. Just before you reach the bottom of the valley at Sils, the trail takes you past Silvaplana to St. Moritz with an uninterrupted breathtaking view of the lakes in the Upper Engadine.
- Walking for the day: 18 km, 6 hours, ↑1000 m ↓850 m
- Accommodation: Hotel Randolins or similar
Day 3: St. Moritz – Bever | 20 km
High above St. Moritz, the mountain path continues along Piz Padella and reaches Alp Muntatsch. After taking a break, you can walk to the original village of Samedan, which is pretty close-by. Val Bever is just a stone’s throw away from here.
- Walking for the day: 20 km, 6 hours, ↑ 900 m ↓1175 m
- Accommodation: Hotel Bever Lodge or similar
Day 4: Bever – Zuoz | 11 km
Along Via Engiadina and uphill to Crast Mora. Enjoy the view of the valley floor and the nearby peaks of the Bernina range. The tour takes you over stone stairs and forest roads to a plateau. You will cross a stream above the Val Müra gorge and descend into Zuoz, the most beautiful village of the Engadine, where you can enjoy Its houses with painted facades and asymmetric windows, some of them are 500 years old.
- Walking for the day: 11 km, 3-3.5 hours, ↑560 m ↓550 m
- Accommodation: Hotel Engiadin or similar
Day 5: Swiss National Park Circular Walk | 14 km
By bus or rail to Schanf, the last village in the High Engadine situated in front of Val Trupchun and the Swiss National Park. From here, the tour will take you through the Swiss National Park, across lush alpine meadows to Val Trupchun, one of the idyllic side valleys of the Upper Engadine. This versatile route gives a glimpse of the unique flora and fauna of this region. On the way, you can encounter the remarkable local wildlife: marmots, chamois, ibexes, deer.
- Walking for the day: 14 km, 3-4 hours, ↑620 m ↓620 m
- Accommodation: Hotel Engiadin or similar
Day 6: Zuoz – Zernez | 20 km
Walking at a low altitude along the valley floor of the Upper Engadine. The hike leads you through pine and larch forests and past idyllic Engadine villages. You will climb up to the Acla Laret and pass Chapella. You will then cross the Punt Ota brook, which forms the border between Lower and Upper Engadine, and then proceed to walk through fragrant mountain meadows down to Zernez.
- Walking for the day: 20 km, 5-6 hours, ↑725 m ↓965 m
- Accommodation: Hotel Bär & Post or similar
Day 7: Departure
Departure or extra nights Zernez.
What to Expect
Accommodation is in nice 3-star hotels, 4-star hotel in Bever, in double or twin private en-suite rooms. We have carefully hand-picked all places and regularly monitor their quality. We have tried to choose accommodations that offer friendly service, clean and comfortable rooms and local flavour. Exact accommodation details are provided upon booking confirmation.
Click to view default hotels
*Hotels are subject to availability. In case a hotel is fully booked for your desired dates, we will replace it with a property of equal standard. We will provide full accommodation details upon booking confirmation.
All breakfasts are included. Picnics are optional at an additional charge and can be ordered locally. It is also possible to have lunch in inns in the valley Fex, at the pass of Fuorcla Surlej, at Morteratsch or Varusch. For dinner, there are usually numerous alternatives in the villages you are staying in.
Difficulty & terrain
The trip is suitable for average hikers. All the time, you will hike on good paths with no special technical difficulties. Note that the indicated walking times do not include the time necessary for the visits to villages and monuments (read more about difficulty grades). We strongly advise you to follow only marked trails and never try to shorten the path through the unknown and unmarked terrain. We will provide you with detailed road notes and maps, and you can call our 24/7 local assistance phone number anytime. More detailed info on route navigation will be included in your holiday information pack.
When to go
This trip is available on any date from late June till late September.
The flexibility of self guided holidays means that there are no fixed dates and you can start your trip on any date in the season – so please indicate desired beginning date when booking.
Click to view travel options
Our recommended airport for this tour is Zurich (ZRH).
By train or bus
- By train: There are good train connections in St. Moritz from where you can take a bus or taxi to Maloja for the start of your tour.
- On the departure date, you can take a train from Zuoz. See the following website for up-to-date schedules and connections: www.cff.ch/home.html or use the Omio planner above.
- By Bus, Taxi or Rental Car: There are options for bus or taxi transfers between Zuoz and Maloja. Chargeable parking spaces are available in St. Moritz (approx. CHF 12 per day). A bus takes you to Maloja.
- 6 overnights with breakfast as detailed in the itinerary
- Luggage transfer when changing hotels (one piece of luggage per person, max 20 kg)
- Detailed route notes (1 x per room)
- 24/7 phone assistance by our local office/representative
- Airfare and connecting land transfers
- Lunches, dinners, drinks and snacks
- Travel insurance (required – get a quote online)
- Personal expenses
- Local tourist taxes and entry fees (payable on-site)
- Any items not explicitly listed as included
Options, extras & supplements
- A supplement applies to members of a group who require a single room
- This holiday is available for solo travellers; a supplement will be charged as accommodation and luggage transfer costs are not shared (we never mix and match – solo travellers will be accommodated in single rooms)
- Extra nights along the trail are bookable upon request