This walking holiday will take you through the Wiltshire Cotswolds and will let you enjoy some of the best walking the Cotswolds have to offer. The circuit starts and finishes in beautiful Bath and takes in the most picturesque towns and villages of the Wiltshire Cotswolds. We arrange comfortable accommodation in en-suite rooms at hotels and accredited guesthouses on this itinerary, and we transfer your luggage between each of the accommodations.
Click to view map
Day 1: Arrive Bath
With its showcase of classical Georgian architecture, Bath is recognised as one of the most beautiful cities in the world. It is one of only four European cities designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site – the others being Florence, Venice and Strasbourg. The city became a spa with the Latin name Aquae Sulis (“the waters of Sul”) c. 60 AD when the Romans built baths and a temple. Bath’s Georgian terraces, crowned by the magnificent Royal Circus and Royal Crescent, climb dramatically up the hillsides, while the historic centre, where the Roman baths and ancient abbey still stand, is in a splendid location by the River Avon.
- Accommodation: The Rising Sun Inn or similar
Day 2: Bath to Bradford-on-Avon | 20 km / 12.5 mi
Starting from Bath, walk to Sham Castle, with great views over the whole city. Continue out from Bath heading towards Farleigh Hungerford. Pass the magnificent tithe barn at Barton Farm and continue towards Bradford-on-Avon, one of the loveliest small towns in Britain with a picturesque 17th-century bridge, Georgian townhouses and a complete Saxon church.
- Walking for the day: 12.5 miles / 20 km, 5 hours
- Accommodation: Lynchetts B&B or similar
Day 3: Bradford-on-Avon to Lacock | 21 km / 13 mi
Leaving behind Bradford, you find yourself out in the rolling hills and arrive soon at Monkton Farleigh, and then, with fine views of the Wiltshire Downs, or the Wiltshire Cotswolds, and Bath it is a small stretch on to the village of Box. After Box, the next stop would be Corsham is noted for Corsham Court, an Elizabethan mansion housing a fine art collection. Finally, you head on to your overnight stop of Lacock. Lacock is a charming village, often used as a filming location.
- Walking for the day: 13 miles / 21 km, 5 hours
- Accommodation: Talbot House or similar
Day 4: Lacock to Castle Combe | 19 km / 10 mi
Today it is a straightforward walk to Castle Combe. A well known Cotswold village, it has a famous bridge and stream and a 14th-century market cross still standing today. Castle Combe racing circuit is located not far from the village.
- Walking for the day: 10 miles / 19 km, 4-5 hours
- Accommodation: Castle Inn, White Heart or similar
Day 5: Castle Combe to Bath | 21 km / 13 mi
This final day of walking takes you back to Bath. It is a pretty walk through St. Catherine Valley to Bath Easton on the outskirts of Bath. Here it is possible to take a bus into the centre of Bath if tired or continue walking along the Avon to complete your journey. Overnight Bath.
- Walking for the day: 13 miles / 21 km, 5-6 hours
- Accommodation: The Rising Sun Inn or similar
Day 6: Departure
Departure or extra nights upon request.
What to Expect
Accommodations on this tour include a mix of 3 and 4-star charming small hotels, B&Bs and guesthouses. They have been carefully selected for their location, atmosphere, cuisine and/or unique services. All rooms have en-suite or private bathrooms.
Click to view default hotels
*Hotels are subject to availability. In case a particular hotel is fully booked for your desired dates, we will replace it with a hotel of equal or higher value and quality level. We will provide exact accommodation details to you upon booking confirmation.
Breakfast is included on all days. When no restaurant location is available on the route, lunches and snacks should either be bought from local shops, or packed lunch can be pre-ordered from your hotel the night before. You can have dinner at the guesthouse you are staying at or at the village pubs and restaurants.
Difficulty & terrain
This itinerary allows you to walk at a leisurely pace, giving you time to explore this fascinating area of outstanding natural beauty. Most days offer 4-6 hours of walking. You will cover a variety of terrain but these are gentle wolds and not mountainous areas. Ascents and descents are usually 150-200 m per day (read more about difficulty grades). The trail follows well-maintained footpaths, bridleways, open fields and some minor roads. The route is not specially designated and waymarked, so check carefully against your guidebook. Generally, the route is easy to navigate and we will provide you with detailed road notes and maps, and you can call our 24/7 local assistance phone number anytime. More detailed info on route navigation will be included in your holiday information pack.
When to go
This trip is available from the mid-April until mid-October. The flexibility of self-guided holidays means that there are no fixed dates and you can start your trip on any date during the season. If you are a seasoned and well-equipped hiker, we can eventually book you on off-season dates.
Click to view travel options
By train or bus
- Bath is served by frequent trains from Bristol (50 min) and London Paddington (1h 20 min). As this is a circular route, you will be walking back to your starting location to depart by the same means you arrived.
- 5 nights in a twin or double rooms with an en-suite or private bathroom (3 or 4-star hotels, B&Bs and guesthouses)
- 5 breakfasts
- Detailed journey documentation and practical information: personalised trip notes and maps (emailed before departure and a hard copy provided at the first hotel; one set per booking)
- Luggage transfers from hotel to hotel – up to 15 kg per person
- 24/7 phone assistance by our local office/representative in Cheltenham
- Airfare and connecting land transfers
- Lunches, dinners, drinks and snacks
- Travel insurance (required – get a quote online)
- Personal expenses
- Local tourist taxes and entry fees (payable on-site)
- Any items not explicitly listed as included
Options, extras & supplements
- A supplement applies to members of a group who require a single room
- This holiday is available for solo travellers; a supplement will be charged as accommodation and luggage transfer costs are not shared (we never mix and match – solo travellers will be accommodated in single rooms)
- Extra nights along the trail are bookable upon request