Gotaleden Trail was inaugurated in 2019, but it became popular quickly because of its lovely nature, clearly marked trails, charming cafes and historical places along the way. The 71-km long trail starts in Gothenburg’s heart and ends in the charming town of Alingsås, winding along the Säve river and the beautiful lake Aspen. You will pass by beautiful old mills such as Jonsered and Tollered and spot rich birdlife. On this hike, you will also stay in the luxurious and award-winning Nääs Factory Hotel with a history that dates back to the 1830s. Gotaleden is a delightful hike combined with comfortable accommodation.
- The Säveån Nature Reserve with diverse birdlife and fauna
- Sauna and a dip in the lake at luxurious Nääs Fabriker Hotel
- Wonderful nature combined with great pitstops
- The city of Gothenburg
Click to view map
Day 1: Arrive in Gothenburg
Your tour starts in Gothenburg. Accommodation in your hotel and take your time to explore the landmarks of the city like the Botanical Garden.
- Accommodation: 3-star hotel in Gothenburg (Comfort Hotel Göteborg or similar)
Day 2: Gothenburg to Jonsered | 19-24 km
You start your hike along Gotaleden. The first 4 km is an easy walk through the city of Gothenburg until you reach the nature reserve Delsjön – a vast area with a mix of old forests and lakes of different sizes. Now the nature trail starts and you walk past many small lakes. Take a pitstop for a picnic in a windbreak with a great view of the city and the surrounding forest. You continue past Kåsjön until you reach today’s end stop: Jonsered, an old rural setting. You can shorten your hike by 5 km if you take a bus in the morning to Skatås (not incl.)
- Walking for the day: 24 km, 5-6 hours ↑236 m ↓49 m (shorter option: 19 km, 4-5 hours ↑154 m ↓58 m)
- Accommodation: 3-star hotel in Jonsered (Hotel Le Mat Jonsered or similar)
Day 3: Jonsered to Tollered | 26.5 km
If you like flowers, you can start the day with a short stop at Jonsered’s Garden. Walk along lake Aspen on hilly paths with wonderful views. After a few challenging kilometres, you continue with easy hiking on paths and roads to Lerum. From here, the Gotaleden runs nicely along the Säveån river. Continue past Stenkullen before entering the Säveån Nature Reserve, which offers 4 km of wonderful forest walks along the river. There are some nice places for a picnic, or if you prefer – you can enjoy the food and the amazing interior of Garveriet (the Tannery) in Floda. From Floda, you have about an 8-km easy hike before you reach today’s final destination: Nääs Fabriker Hotel in Tollered, where you can enjoy the hotel’s wellness centre or take a dip in the lake.
- Walking for the day: 26.5 km, 6-7 hours ↑253 m ↓193 m
- Accommodation: Hotel Nääs Fabriker in Tollered
Day 4: Tollered to Alingås | 24 km
From Tollered, you walk uphill through forests and meadows until you reach the sheep farm, Mysten. Continue through fine coniferous forest to Ingared. From here, you walk on gravel and asphalt roads with nice views of the beautiful turn-of-the-century houses overlooking lake Mjörn. You reach Nolhaga Park and Nolhaga Castle, located just before the final destination for Gotaleden, Alingsås.
- Walking for the day: 24 km, 5-6 hours ↑227 m ↓150 m
- Accommodation: 4-star hotel in Alingsås (Grand Hotel Alingsås or similar)
Day 5: Departure
The tour ends after breakfast. It is easy to take the train back to Gothenburg, it takes approximately 25 minutes. Or you can prolong your stay to explore more of West Sweden.
What to Expect
Accommodation is in nice 3-star and 4-star hotels, in private en-suite rooms. We have carefully hand-picked all places and regularly monitor their quality. We have tried to choose accommodations that offer friendly service, clean and comfortable rooms and local flavour.
Click to view our default hotels for this trip
- Comfort Hotel Göteborg (Gothenburg)
- Hotel Le Mat Jonsered (Jonsered)
- Hotel Nääs Fabriker (Tollered)
- Grand Hotel Alingsås (Alingsås)
*Hotels are subject to availability. In case a hotel is fully booked for your desired dates, we will replace it with a property of equal standard. We will provide full accommodation details upon booking confirmation.
Accommodation is on a bed & breakfast basis. Lunches are available along the way. You can have dinner at your hotel or nearby restaurants.
Difficulty & terrain
The daily walks are quite long, but the hike is technically easy. If you feel that the daily itinerary will be too long, there are options to shorten the distances by train or bus (read more about difficulty grades). The trail goes along forest paths, gravel roads and some asphalt; the total length is 71 km from the heart of Gothenburg to the town of Alingsås. It is well marked with blue and a walking symbol with the text “Gotaleden”. We strongly advise you to follow only marked trails and never shorten the path through the unknown and unmarked terrain. We will provide you with detailed road notes and maps, and you can call our 24/7 local assistance phone number anytime. More detailed info on route navigation will be included in your holiday information pack.
When to go
This trip is available from the beginning of April until the end of October, with daily arrivals. Daytime summer temperatures normally range from 15°C to 25°C. The air is relatively humid, making warm days feel warmer and cold days colder. The best time to visit is June-August, with the warmest month being July, with an average maximum temperature of 20°C.
Click to view travel options
By train or bus
- Gothenburg airport: Landvetter airport is about 20 km southeast of downtown and is served by domestic and international flights. There are regular buses from the airport to the central railway station.
- Copenhagen airport: There are regular trains from this airport to Gothenburg with one change on the way. Journey time is about 4.5 – 5 hours. The timetable can be checked on the DSB website.
- Stockholm airport: There are regular trains between Stockholm and Gothenburg; journey time is 3-5 hours, depending on the train type.
- 4 overnights in 3-star and 4-star hotels as listed in the itinerary
- 4 breakfasts
- 1 dinner on Day 3 at Nääs Fabriker (2-course menu, no drinks)
- 1 picnic lunch on Day 4
- Luggage transport on the walking days
- Detailed route notes and maps (1 x per room) & GPS tracks
- 24/7 phone assistance by our local office/representative
- Airfare and connecting land transfers
- Local transport
- 3 lunches, 3 dinners, drinks and snacks
- Travel insurance (required – get a quote online)
- Personal expenses
- Any items not specifically mentioned as included in the programme
Options, extras & supplements
- Single room supplement applies to members of a group who require a single room
- This holiday is available for solo travellers; a supplement will be charged as accommodation and luggage transfer costs are not shared (we never mix and match – solo travellers will be accommodated in single rooms)
- Extra nights in Gothenburg and Alingsås