Enjoy La Vía Verde de Ojos Negros, a car-free cycling experience on one of the most beautiful Vias Verdes in Spain. Vías Verdes (literally, “green-ways”) are old disused railway lines that have been recovered and reconditioned for use by walkers and cyclists. Exploring them is a different, enjoyable and environmentally friendly way of getting to know Spain, its culture and its landscapes.
Aragon is a perfect illustration of the diversity and rich history that defines the country as a whole. Landlocked in the northeast of the country, its landscapes ranging from the spectacular lush Pyrenees in the north to the isolated mountains of the Sistema Ibérico in the south. You will start and end in Valencia and bike across charming villages with interesting examples of Mudejar architecture, the style developed from the amalgamation of Christian and Moorish styles after the Reconquista by the Christians. Enjoy a journey through tunnels and over viaducts, passing citrus groves and lovely whitewashed villages hidden in the valleys and views back as far as the sea – a relaxing adventure for bikers of all ages.
Click to view map
Day 1: Arrival in Valencia
Arrive in Valencia – the city of arts and sciences. Explore one of the most beautiful and well-preserved old towns in Spain. Treasuring a very important cultural heritage, there you will observe the great legacy left by ancient civilizations that lived on these lands. Do not miss the Turia Gardens, one of the largest and most beautiful city parks in Spain.
- Accommodation: Hotel Silken Puerta Valencia**** or similar
Day 2: Albarracín – Teruel
Welcome meeting at your hotel in Valencia early in the morning followed by a two-hour transfer to Albarracín, one of the most beautiful villages in Spain with its pink-hued medieval houses. Its unique history as an independent mini-state, and the story of its resurrection from near-abandonment over the past 60 years, add to the fascination. Your journey will start with a short climb to the Pinares de Rodeno where will have the opportunity to see the prehistoric cave paintings. Passing through some small charming villages you will soon reach Teruel. The town of Teruel is synonymous with Mudéjar architecturea, a glamorous amalgamation of Islamic craft and Christian taste. The patterns of terracotta bricks and glazed tiles are crafted skillfully into the town’s towers and churches, four of which are UNESCO-listed.
- Cycling for the day: 40 km
- Accommodation: Hotel El Mudayyan*** or similar
Day 3: Teruel – Albentosa
Enjoy the tranquillity of the Ojos Negros Greenway. Bike through pine and kermes oak forests, to finish today’s journey in the land of truffles. Enjoy an exquisite dinner at your accommodation for tonight – La Casa de la Estación.
- Cycling for the day: 45 km
- Accommodation: La Casa de la Estacion or similar
Day 4: Albentosa – Jerica / Navajas / Segorbe
After a heartful breakfast, you will be back on the Via Verde, cycling downhill to reach Jérica and Navajas, where you can refresh in the Palancia river. One of the most beautiful natural pools in the region of Valencia is located near Navajas – El Salto del Brazal, an enormous waterfall more than 30 metres high. Get to know the surrounding area of Mount Rascaña and the Cueva del Reloj. While in Jerica get lost in its charming streets and do not miss visiting the Torre Mudéjar de las Campanas – the most iconic site in the municipality. It is the only Mudejar-style tower in the region of Valencia sitting on a mountain high above the town.
Day 5: Segorbe – Canet d’en Berenguer
Today you will visit Canet d’en Berenguer, where you can enjoy the magnificent and peaceful beaches. The stage passes through the valley of the river Palancia, between two natural parks, the Sierra Calderona and the Sierra de Espada. Cycle through pine forests, fruit fields, small charming villages, the city of Sagunto with its impressive Roman theatre, and finally reach the refresh yourself in the waters of the Mediterranean.
- Cycling for the day: 45 – 50 km
- Accommodation: Hotel els Arenals**** or similar
Day 6: Canet d’en Berenguer – Valencia
Passing through the Valencian orchard valleys you will visit El Puig, where one of the most unique monasteries in Valencia is located. While there, make sure to try the typical traditional arros amb fessols i naps – rice with beans and turnips, which can be enjoyed in the local restaurants. The local treats include sweet potato cakes, almond cakes, encaratas, pilota de ametla, coca de almendra. The many gastronomic events organised in spring offer a unique opportunity to taste, purchase and learn all about the food, cuisine and regional wines. The road will take you back to Valencia where is always a pleasure to wander around the narrow streets.
- Cycling for the day: 35 km
- Accommodation: Hotel Silken Puerta Valencia**** or similar
Day 7: Departure
After breakfast, your tour comes to an end. Extra nights in Valencia available upon request.
What to Expect
You will be accommodated in 3 and 4-star hotels and high-grade B&Bs. We have carefully hand-picked all places and regularly monitor their quality. We have tried to choose accommodations that offer friendly service, clean and comfortable rooms and local flavour.
Click to view default hotels
- Hotel Silken Puerta Valencia****, Hotel els Arenals****, Hotel Rosaleda Doncel***, La casa de la Estación, Villa Pilar, Hotel María de Luna***, Hotel El Mudayyan***
*Note that hotels are subject to availability. In case a particular hotel is fully booked for your desired dates, we will replace it with a hotel of equal value and quality level. We will provide exact accommodation details to you upon booking confirmation!
Breakfast on each day is included. When no restaurant location is available on the route, lunches and snacks should either be bought from local shops, or packed lunch can be pre-ordered from your hotel the night before. Evening meals can be enjoyed in the charming restaurants along the way.
Difficulty & terrain
This is an easy tour that follows the longest Spanish Greenway. About 150 km of the route goes along the former railway line which is traffic-free. For the others, we have chosen small quiet roads where cars are seldom seen. Suitable for families with children. (read more about difficulty grades). Upon arrival, you will receive detailed travel information with route maps, route descriptions, tourist attractions and important telephone numbers and GPS with preloaded tracks.
When to go
This trip is available from early April to mid-November except from 18 July to 27 August 2022, when it is too hot for cycling. Departure on Mondays only in 2022.
Departure on Tuesdays only from 4 April 2023 to 8 November 2023 (Except from 18 July 2023 to 28 August 2023).
You can expect around 3,000 hours of sunshine annually and an average afternoon temperature of over 20°C for most of the year.
Click to view travel options
Our recommended airport for this tour is Valencia.
By train or bus
- The Valencia airport taxi journey will take around 20 min. with a fee of around 25€.
- There are alternatively two public transport options. The metro will take you to the centre for approx. 25 min. and costs 4€, while the bus costs 1.50€ (25-30 min).
- For more information, use Omio planner above.
- Accommodation in 3 and 4-star hotels and high-grade guesthouses as listed in the Hotels section
- Breakfast on Days 2-7
- Welcome briefing on Day 2
- Transfer from Valencia to Albarracín on Day 2
- Luggage transfers between accommodations
- Detailed travel documents (1x per room) with route maps, route descriptions, local attractions, important telephone numbers
- GPS with preloaded tracks
- Phone assistance by our local office/representative
- Airfare and connecting land transfers
- Lunches, dinners, drinks and snacks
- Travel insurance (required – get a quote online)
- Personal expenses
- Local tourist taxes and entry fees (payable on-site)
- Any items not explicitly listed as included
Options, extras & supplements
- A supplement applies to members of a group who require a single room
- This holiday is available for solo travellers; a supplement will be charged as accommodation and luggage transfer costs are not shared (we never mix and match – solo travellers will be accommodated in single rooms)
- Bike rental, including bike insurance
- Extra nights in Valencia are bookable upon request
We offer for rent standard hybrid aluminium bicycles which are fully-equipped with front-suspension, 24 gears, anti-puncture tyres, tool/puncture repair kit, speedometer, one pannier per bike, one handlebar bag and one map-holder per bike.
We also offer e-bikes with low frame: 7 gears, aluminium, Shimano Altus, good quality display (6 levels of power) as well as standard e-bikes: 24 gears, aluminium, Shimano Altus, good quality display (6 levels of power). Both models have a 15 Am battery, so they can ride long distances.