Tenerife is one of the most fascinating of the Canary Islands due to the great variety of landscapes it offers. La Gomera, the greenest of the Canary Islands, lies just 30 km off the coast of Tenerife and is a real hiker’s paradise. Steep cliffs along the coastline give way to volcanic peaks, deep gorges and lush green valleys. Explore the best parts of Tenerife and La Gomera on foot, with an option to climb Mount Teide (3718m), the highest peak in Spain.
- Tick-off some of the best walks on Tenerife and la Gomera
- Circular walk around Mount Teide, Spain’s highest mountain with an optional climb to the top
- Walk through the lunar-like landscapes of Tenerife and the lush green hills of La Gomera
Click to view map
Day 1: Arrival in Tenerife
A complimentary private transfer of 30 minutes from Tenerife South Airport to our comfortable hotel in Vilaflor (a transfer from North Airport or elsewhere in Tenerife can be arranged at a small extra cost). Vilaflor is the highest village of Tenerife, located at 1000m above sea level, on the Southern edge of the Teide National Park.
Day 2: Lunar Landscapes | 13 km
In the morning, a taxi will drive you a few kilometres further North to start a nice and easy walk through a volcanic lunar landscape with bizarre rock formations. This walk ends in the centre of the village of Vilaflor.
Day 3: Las Cañadas del Teide / Mount Teide | 10-14 km
In the morning, take the local bus to the Cañadas del Teide. This is an 18-km wide old crater left after the first volcanic eruptions on Tenerife. A 2,5-hour circular walk follows at Roques de Garcia, near the Parador. Another option is to be dropped off at the cable car and do a short walk (max 1 hour) around the peak of Mount Teide (at an elevation of 3500m), then walk from the lower cable car station back to the Parador (1.5 hours). The last bus for Vilaflor leaves the Parador at 16:00. Return to your hotel at Vilaflor.
Should you have secured a permit, you can extend your walk and climb to the top*. The walk is short and not demanding, but it will be best to take it easy, given the height. The ascent from the upper cable car station to the crater is 1.5 km return, 150 m ascent/descent, 2 h.
*Our package DOES NOT include a climbing permit for the peak (to avoid erosion of the soft volcanic rock, local authorities limit the number of hikers) as well as a cable car ticket to the top. Should you want to climb Mount Teide, you should reserve a free climbing permit here well in advance.
- Overnight in Hotel Spa Villalba, El Tejar Hotel & Spa or a similar spa hotel
- Walking for the day – Optional circular walks: up to 2-3 hours, 4 km ↑175 m ↓175 m per walk
- Walking for the day – Mount Teide: 6 hours, 10 km, ↑150 m ↓1350 m if you use the cable car only on the way up to the peak and walk back down to the Refuge station (shorter option using the cable car in both directions: 2 hours, 1.5 km, ↑150 m ↓150 m)
Day 4: Garajonay National Park (La Gomera) | 11 km
After an early breakfast, you have a 30-minute private transfer to Los Cristianos harbour to get the first ferry to La Gomera (9.00 or 9.30; travel time is approx. 40 min). In San Sebastián de la Gomera, a taxi will be waiting to take you to El Contadero, a remote crossroads high up in Garajonay National Park. From there, you do a 4.5-hour walk down to Hermigua. The first section (2,5 hrs) is a long but easy descent on wide footpaths through a magical laurel wood. Near El Cedro, you do a short steep section on a stony, stepped path, then continue on quiet inland roads to reach your comfortable and charming rural hotel in Hermigua.
- Overnight in Hotel Casa de los Herrera or similar
- Walking for the day: 5 hours, 11 km, ↑25 m ↓1275 m
Day 5: Hermigua Circular Walk | 13 km
Today’s walk starts with a short, steep ascent. Your route then leads you through terraced farms and banana groves. Then the landscape changes abruptly. A wide path crosses stark surroundings with sparse vegetation, passing several barrancos on their way toward the blue sea. Succulents and cacti carpet the ground, while ahead you enjoy one of the week’s highlights: fabulous views of Tenerife and El Teide Peak. Note that some sections of the path may be damaged, so you will need to be extra careful. Using walking poles is highly recommended on this day.
- Overnight in Hotel Casa de los Herrera or similar
- Walking for the day: 13 km, 5-6 hours, ↑600 m ↓660 m
Day 6: Juego de Bolas to Vallehermoso via GR-132 | 9 km
Morning transfer to the Garajonay Visitors’ Centre at Juego de Bolas, where you can marvel at the tropical flowers in the botanical garden. Then you begin an easy route on a long-distance hiking path, the GR-132, to Vallehermoso. Along the way, you pass two natural monuments, Roque Blanco and Roque Cano, before your descent into the lush valley of Vallehermoso. After a refreshing drink in the village square, transfer back to your hotel in Hermigua.
- Overnight in Hotel Casa de los Herrera or similar
- Walking for the day: 9 km, 3.5-4 hours, ↑200 m ↓750 m
Day 7: Degollada la Peraza to San Sebastián via GR-131 | 10 km
Transfer to Degollada de la Peraza for an easy but rewarding, panoramic descent. Reach San Sebastian, where you spend your last night at a comfortable hotel near the harbour.
- Overnight in Parador de la Gomera or similar
- Walking for the day: 4-4.5 hours, 10 km, ↑125 m ↓1025 m
Day 8: Departure
This morning you have a 10-minute walk (with your luggage) to the harbour to get the ferry back to Tenerife. At Los Cristianos, a taxi will be waiting to take you to Tenerife South airport.
What to Expect
You will spend the nights in a mix of welcoming tourist hotels and guesthouses. All places have been carefully hand-picked by us, and their quality is regularly monitored. We have tried to choose accommodations that offer friendly service, clean and comfortable rooms and local flavour. Hotel Spa Villalba is our default hotel in Vilaflor. The accommodation at El Tejar Hotel & Spa is with a discount – if you prefer this option, let us know.
Click to view default hotels
- Hotel Spa Villalba or El Tejar Hotel & Spa (Vilaflor, Tenerife), Hotel Casa de los Herrera (Hermigua), Parador de la Gomera (La Gomera)
Note that hotels are subject to availability. In case a particular hotel is fully booked for your desired dates, we will replace it with a hotel of equal or higher value and quality level. We will provide exact accommodation details to you upon booking confirmation.
Breakfasts on all days are included. Packed lunches are available at an extra cost and can be pre-ordered at the accommodations. On all nights, you will have plenty of options to dine out. Please note that there are supplements for compulsory dinner on Christmas day (25 December) and New Year’s Eve (31 December) in all hotels, as well as brunch on 1 January at Hotel Spa Villalba.
Difficulty & terrain
Moderate day walks of 3-6 hours per day (excluding breaks) on hilly to mountainous areas using well-kept, sometimes stony paths. On some days, there are alternate routes and/or ways to make walks shorter/easier. The walks follow rural tracks, both surfaced and unsurfaced, as well as hiking trails and footpaths. You may encounter some loose rock or muddy/slippery sections in wet weather (read more about difficulty grades). We strongly advise you to follow only marked trails and never shorten the path through the unknown and unmarked terrain. We will provide you with detailed road notes and maps, and you can call our 24/7 local assistance phone number anytime. More detailed info on route navigation will be included in your holiday information pack.
When to go
This trip is available throughout the year. The flexibility of self guided holidays means that there are no fixed dates, and you can start your holiday on any date in the season. Please note that hotels may charge additional supplements during national holidays (e.g. Christmas and New Year’s Eve).
Tenerife is warm year-round with almost no rain and long days of sunshine. The temperature is among the most consistent anywhere in Europe. Temperatures rarely drop below an average of 24°C throughout the year (but it can be much cooler at the top of Mount Teide – up to 11/12°C with winds between 15/30 kilometres per hour at the summit). La Gomera enjoys year-round mild weather with average maximum temperatures ranging from 15-25 degrees. Being an island, it can, however, experience foggy weather (especially in the winter months), some strong winds and tropical storms in summer, when it also may become quite hot.
Click to view travel options
Our recommended airport for this tour is Tenerife South (TFS). Complimentary arrival and departure transfers from/to Tenerife South are included, as well as the ferry transfers to/from La Gomera. If you fly to Tenerife North, there will be a supplement for the transfer.
- Accommodation for 7 nights in private ensuite rooms
- 7 breakfasts
- Transfers from Tenerife South airport to Vilaflor and from San Sebastian to Tenerife South airport
- Private transfers as per the itinerary
- Ferry tickets Tenerife-La Gomera-Tenerife
- Luggage transfers on walking days (1 piece up to 20 kg)
- Detailed digital holiday information pack including GPS-checked and regularly updated route descriptions, road notes and maps. Please note that the info pack is emailed to you prior to departure, and no printed documents are mailed or provided on-site
- 24/7 phone assistance by our local office/representative
- Transfer from Tenerife North Airport, if needed
- Mount Teide cable car tickets
- Mount Teide climbing permit
- Compulsory dinner on 24 December, 31 December and brunch on 1 January at Hotel Spa Villalba
- Supplements on national holidays – 24 December, 31 December
- Lunches, dinners, drinks and snacks
- Travel insurance (required – get a quote online)
- Personal expenses
- Local tourist taxes and entry fees (payable on-site)
- Any items not explicitly listed as included
Options, extras & supplements
- A supplement applies to members of a group who require a single room
- This holiday is available for solo travellers; a supplement will be charged as accommodation and luggage transfer costs are not shared (we never mix and match – solo travellers will be accommodated in single rooms)
- Transfer from/to Tenerife North Airport
- Extra nights along the trail are bookable upon request
- Accommodation at El Tejar Hotel & Spa at a discount – if you prefer this option, let us know, and we will calculate a price for you.