The Lycian Way East extended trek is a 14-day demanding but rewarding itinerary following the highest and most rugged sections of the Lycian Way, winding its way above the Mediterranean’s most dramatic coastline to the limestone peaks of Mount Olympos soaring high above the glittering sea. It descends through shady wooded valleys past the ruins of the Lycian city of Olympos to the isolated lighthouse on the ridge of Cape Gelidonia. The trek continues on coastal paths around the sheltered harbour and tiny islands of Simena and Kekova Lagoon, famous for the underwater ruins of the Sunken City. The tour ends at the coastal town of Kaş with a day full of optional activities at sea.
- Walk the eastern sections of Turkey’s Lycian Way
- Experience an authentic, less-travelled side of Turkey
- See the eternal flames of Chimaera
- Explore the ruins of Olympos, dating back to 300 BC
- Fantastic views over turquoise seas from Cape Gelidonia’s lighthouse
- Discover the sunken city of Kekova by boat
- Optional activities at Kaş
Click to view map
Day 1: Antalya
Arrive at Antalya Airport and enjoy our complimentary transfer (45 minutes) to your hotel in Kaleiçi, the historical centre of Antalya.
- Accommodation: Atelya Art Hotel or similar
Day 2: Hisarcandir – Göynük | 16 km
A car transfer will bring you from Antalya to the walk’s beginning point (1hr 15mins). You will walk through the Hisarcandır traverse with beautiful pine and cedar forests and several viewpoints towards Antalya. The trail is mostly downhill and leads down to the bottom of the canyon at Göynük.
- Accommodation: guesthouse in Göynük
- Walking for the day: 16 km, 6 hours, ↑260 m ↓1525 m
Day 3: Göynük – Göynük Yayla | 17 km
You walk uphill all day, starting at the Göynük gorge entrance and going over switchback ridges beneath pine trees, with excellent views to pastures and orchards; it is possible to swim where the river forms a beautiful pool in the canyon. You meet your transfer vehicle near a bridge (alt. 850m) from where you transfer to your hotel in Ovacık. Your destination is the mountain village of Ovacık, where you will have dinner and enjoy a magnificent view of the sea and the high mountains of Taurus from your hotel.
- Accommodation: Gül Mountain Resort
- Walking for the day: 17 km, 6 hours, ↑1200 m ↓500 m
Day 4: Göynük Yayla – Yayla Kuzdere | 16 km
You transfer back to where you left the walk the previous day. Then you trek along high mountain paths and tracks to the village of Gedelme, where you can explore a Roman castle. From there, you walk up to the mountain village of Yayla Kuzdere (alt. 900 m), enjoying views of Mount Tahtalı. Dinner and overnight in Sevim’s village house in Yayla Kuzdere.
- Accommodation: Pension in Yayla Kuzdere (wooden bungalow with private bathroom)
- Walking for the day: 16 km, 5 hours, ↑460 m ↓530 m
Day 5: Yayla Kuzdere – Beycik (Optional climb of Mt Olympos) | 15 km
From Yayla Kuzdere you start with a steady climb up a stream bed to the pastures of Çukur Yayla, just below Mount Olympos (Tahtalı Dağı). Optional ascent of Mount Olympos. You climb the pass from Çukur Yayla (alt. 1950 m) through a forest of pines and impressive cedar trees and descend via a winding path through the lovely forest to the village of Beycik (alt. 900 m). Your transfer vehicle takes you to Çıralı (30 mins). Dinner and overnight at Emin Pension or Kiyı Pension in Çıralı.
Note: Day 4 can be changed to include an optional ascent of Mount Olympos (2365 m). In that case, you don’t descend to Beycik but climb from Yayla Kuzdere to the saddle and from there to the top. From the summit, you take the cable car to the lower station and transfer to Çıralı (cable car ticket c. 22 euro one-way pp not included, payable on-site).
Day 6: Rest Day / The Eternal Flames of Chimaera
Today you can make an optional exploration of the ruins of the ancient Olympos (total appr. 6 km along the beach). Walk to the “Burning stones” with their natural earth fire, the eternal flames of the Chimaera. Mount Chimaera was the name of this place in ancient Lycia, where methane and other gases emerge from the rock and burn constantly. Some ancient sources considered it to be the origin of the myth of the monster called the Chimera. Lunch not included—dinner and overnight at the same pension in Çıralı.
Day 7: Çıralı – Adrasan | 20 km
You start directly from Çıralı and walk through the ancient city of Olympos and up Musa Dağı (Moses Mountain, alt. 650m). The climb is through a dense forest with many strawberry trees and passes some minor ancient ruins. After having a picnic lunch near an old hut, you descend through a forest, past deserted farmhouses before you reach sea level and your accommodation in the beautiful bay of Adrasan.
- Accommodation: Deniz Hotel in Adrasan or similar
- Walking for the day: 20 km, 6-7 hours, ↑720 m ↓720 m
Day 8: Adrasan – Gelidonia Lighthouse | 18 km
Again you start directly out of your hotel, and the route leads south via Kızıl Sırt (alt. 450m) along a remote and isolated coastline. You follow a path parallel to the coast at a high altitude along cliffs and green slopes, overlooking the sea and enjoying magnificent views towards some little islands. After arriving at the lighthouse at the tip of Cape Gelidonia (alt. 200m), you walk down to a dirt road to meet your transfer vehicle for the transfer to Beymelek (1 h 10 min). Dinner and overnight in Taş Evler Guesthouse in Beymelek.
- Accommodation: Taş Evler Guesthouse or similar
- Walking for the day: 18 km, 7 hours, ↑700 m ↓700 m
Day 9: Kapakli – Simena | 9 km
Transfer from Beymelek to Kapaklı (30 min) to start the walk via rocky pastures to ancient Istlada and onwards to a small inlet (suitable for a swimming break) before crossing open fields towards Simena. You climb past impressive ancient Lycian tombs to the medieval castle, which dominates this remarkable harbour town. The houses are built between the ruins, and it can only be reached on foot or by boat, thus retaining a lot of its charms. Your pension is situated right on the shore with lovely views across Kekova lagoon, also known as the Sunken City.
- Accommodation: Ankh Pension
- Walking for the day: 9 km, 3 hours, ↑150 m ↓100 m
Day 10: Kılıçlı – Aperlaı; Boat Trip to Simena | 7 km
You transfer to the village of Kılıçlı (10 mins) from where you climb to Apollonia to explore the ruins of yet another ancient Lycian city. You descend over mule paths to the seaside ruins of Aperlai, a Lycian harbour town. After its exploration and a short coastal walk, you will be collected by boat. You enjoy a short cruise over the Sunken City, with supper on board, before returning to your pension in Simena. Dinner and overnight in the same pension in Simena.
- Accommodation: Ankh Pension
- Walking for the day: 7 km, 3 hours, ↑50 m ↓400 m
Day 11: Boğazcık – Okçüoldüğü | 12 km
Transfer to the village of Boğazcık (10 mins) from where you walk past Roman watchtowers to the beach. You enjoy a swimming break and a seaside walk to a beach called Üzüm Iskelesi. After another 2,5 hrs of walking along the rocky coast, you reach the hamlet of Okçüoldüğü from where you have a transfer to Kaş (30 mins). Dinner not included.
- Accommodation: Kayahan Hotel
- Walking for the day: 12 km, 4-5 hours, ↑200 m ↓560 m
Day 12: Okçüoldüğü – Limanağzı | 9 km
You transfer back to Okçüoldüğü from where you enjoy a short walk on coastal paths with many opportunities for swimming breaks. You can have lunch at a restaurant in Limanağzı, where your walk ends and transfer by boat to Kaş (pay locally). Picnic and dinner not included. Overnight in the same hotel in Kaş.
- Accommodation: Kayahan Hotel
- Walking for the day: 9 km, 3-4 hours, ↑220 m ↓380 m
Day 13: Free day in Kaş
There are many opportunities for activities such as diving, canoeing, paragliding or just some souvenir shopping, swimming and relaxing. Picnic and dinner not included. Overnight in the same hotel in Kaş.
- Accommodation: Kayahan Hotel
Day 14: Departure
Complimentary transfer to Antalya Airport (3.5 hours). Or transfer to Antalya city and optional extra nights there.
What to Expect
Accommodation is in hand-picked and regularly monitored hotels and guesthouses offering various levels of comfort. The properties are run by friendly people who make you feel part of the family and the local community. Twelve of the overnights are in private en-suite rooms, and one is in a village house with shared facilities. We have tried to choose accommodations that offer friendly service, clean and comfortable rooms and local flavour.
Click to view default hotels
Hotels are subject to availability. In case a particular hotel is fully booked for your desired dates, we will replace it with a hotel of equal value and quality level. We will give you the exact accommodation details upon booking confirmation.
Breakfast are always included, as well as 10 picnic lunches and 9 dinners. During the tour, you will enjoy natural, regional and rich Turkish food. Evening meals consist of soup or salads, a main course and fruit or sweet for dessert. Lunches will be picnics. Our packed lunches are wonderful, and we include plentiful trail snacks such as dried fruits and nuts.
Difficulty & terrain
This holiday is suitable for walkers of good fitness. You will walk 5-7 hours per day on average. Some days include optional longer walks (read more about difficulty grades). The terrain is varying from steep rocky footpaths to cobbled paths. The optional ascent of Mount Olympos is over scree and involves some light scrambling. We strongly advise you to follow only marked trails and never try to shorten the path through the unknown and unmarked terrain. We will provide you with detailed road notes and maps, and you can call our 24/7 local assistance phone number anytime. More detailed info on route navigation will be included in your holiday information pack.
When to go
We can organise this walking tour between April and middle of June and September till the middle of November. July and August are too hot for making this trip. The weather is best in the autumn. The flexibility of self guided holidays means that there are no fixed dates, and you can start your holiday on any date in the season.
- Twelve nights in 2 and 3-star quality hotels and guesthouses (private en-suite rooms) & one night in wooden bungalow with private bathroom
- 13 breakfasts
- 9 dinners
- 10 packed lunches
- Detailed holiday information pack including GPS-checked and regularly updated route descriptions and road notes; maps with daily routes and optional hikes marked
- Luggage transport to next hotel
- Transfers to trailheads as detailed in the itinerary
- Transfers to/from Antalya airport on day 1 and day 14
- Boat trip to the sunken city of Simena/Kekova
- 24/7 phone assistance by our local office/representative
- Travel insurance (required – get a quote online)
- Personal expenses
- Local tourist taxes and entry fees (payable on-site)
- Any items not explicitly listed as included
Options, extras & supplements
- A supplement applies to members of a group who require a single room
- This holiday is available for solo travellers; a supplement will be charged as accommodation and luggage transfer costs are not shared (we never mix and match – solo travellers will be accommodated in single rooms)
- Extra nights Antalya (Atelya Art Hotel or similar) including additional airport transfers
- On request, we can provide a private guide.