Walking Via Jacobi, Interlaken to Romont is part of a pilgrimage route from Lake Constance to Geneva. This 7-day tour takes you from Interlaken to Romont and includes one of the most compelling parts of Via Jacobi – the rock-hewn passages paved with river stones near Fribourg, bear witnesses to the centuries-old history of the pilgrims.
If you are looking for a spiritual journey or simply a beautiful hike along the magnificent Swiss valleys, this tour will be perfect for you. You will be enchanted by the stunning alpine scenery of the surrounding Bernese Oberland, the excellent cuisine and the Swiss hospitality.
- Weissenau Nature Reserve
- St Beatus Caves
- Spiez Toy Museum
- Rüeggisberg Monastery
- Vitromusée Romont – Swiss stained glass museum
Click to view map
*This map is only for general reference; detailed route maps will be provided in your pre-departure package.
Day 1: Arrival in Interlaken
Your tour starts in Interlaken, Switzerland’s hottest adventure destination.
- Accommodation: Bernerhof or similar
Day 2: Interlaken – Spiez | 13km
After breakfast, walk alongside the River Aare to the Weissenau nature reserve on the Thunersee lake. From Neuhaus, the route continues through woodland, often with clear views of the lake and the Bernese Alps. St Beatus Caves, a former place of pilgrimage of St Beatus, are awe-inspiring. Take a boat from Merligen to Spiez, and make sure you take the opportunity to taste the local wine!
- Walking for the day: 13km, ↑445m ↓445m, duration: 4h
- Accommodation: La Belle Vue or similar
Day 3: Spiez – Wattenwil | 23km
Before you leave, visit Spiez Toy Museum and admire its toy collection from the 19th century to the modern era. Learn about toys that were popular in days gone by and how they have changed in recent years. It’s sure to bring back some childhood memories. Enjoy the easy walks, admire the Stockhorn mountain chain in the background, and pass several lakes and two of the 1000-year-old churches on Lake Thun. The oldest, built by King Rudolf II of Burgundy, is in Einigen.
- Walking for the day: 23km, ↑560m ↓520m, duration: 6h
- Accommodation: Erlebnis Hofmatt or similar
Day 4: Wattenwil – Schwarzenburg | 25km
After breakfast, continue from Wattenwil in the Gürbetal valley through the rural landscape of the Schwarzenburgerland up to Schwarzenburg. There are fantastic views of the Stockhorn mountain range all along the way. You will walk through small villages with picture-postcard churches. The Rüeggisberg Monastery ruins and Wahlern Church, seen from afar enthroned on a sandstone ridge, are cultural highlights on the route to Schwarzenburg.
- Walking for the day: 25km, ↑695m ↓565m, duration: 6.5h
- Accommodation: Hotel Sonne or similar
Day 5: Schwarzenburg – Fribourg | 20km
This stretch is considered the most exciting part of the Way of St James in Switzerland and has been used by the Jakobspilger – the St James pilgrims – since the Middle Ages. In Sense District, the rock-hewn passages paved with river stones are bear witnesses to the centuries-old history of the Way of St James.
- Walking for the day: 20km, ↑ 400m ↓ 560m, duration: 5.5h
- Accommodation: Hotel De La Rose or similar
Day 6: Fribourg – Romont | 27km
The city of Fribourg with its numerous historic references to St James and the St James pilgrims would be worth the journey on its own. Along river Glâne, you will every so often encounter evidence of the passage of pilgrims in the past, such as the St Apolline bridge. While in Romont, visit the Swiss Museum of Stained Glass and Glass Art.
- Walking for the day: 27km, ↑ 620m ↓ 460m, duration: approx. 7h
- Accommodation: Hotel le Lion d’Or or similar
Day 7: Departure
Return home or individually extend your stay.
What to expect
Accommodation is in nice 2/3-star hotels, local guesthouses and inns, in double or twin private en-suite rooms (no en-suite rooms available in smaller villages like Wattenwil). We have carefully hand-picked all places and regularly monitor their quality. We have tried to choose accommodations that offer friendly service, clean and comfortable rooms and local flavour.
Show our default hotels for this trip
*Hotels are subject to availability. In case a hotel is fully booked for your desired dates, we will replace it with a property of equal standard. We will provide full accommodation details upon booking confirmation.
Accommodation is on a bed & breakfast basis. Picnic lunches are optional at an extra charge and can be ordered locally. You can have dinner at your hotel or nearby restaurants.
Difficulty and terrain
This moderate hiking tour leads mostly on comfortable forest trails (read more about difficulty grades). We strongly advise you to follow only marked trails and never try to shorten the path through the unknown and unmarked terrain. We will provide you with detailed road notes and maps, and you can call our 24/7 local assistance phone number anytime. More detailed info on route navigation will be included in your holiday information pack.
When to go
This trip is available from mid-April until mid-October. The flexibility of self guided holidays means that there are no fixed dates, and you can start your trip on any date during the season.The best time for walking Via Jacobi is between June and mid-September when the wildflowers are in bloom, and the weather is generally good. Earlier in the season, there may be some residual snow patches, but this will not require any special equipment or skills.
Click to view travel options
Our recommended airport for this tour is Zurich (ZRH).
By train or bus
- By train: From Zurich airport via Berne. Duration approx. 2h. For more information and timetables, please visit SBB or use the Omio travel planner above.
- Return travel by train via Fribourg to Zurich airport. Duration approx. 2h.
- 6 overnights with breakfast as detailed in the itinerary
- Luggage transfer when changing hotels (one piece of luggage per person, max 20kg)
- Ferry ticket Merligen – Spiez
- Detailed route notes (1 x per room) and GPS tracks
- 24/7 phone assistance by our local office/representative
- Airfare and connecting land transfers
- Lunches, dinners, drinks and snacks
- Travel insurance (required – get a quote online)
- Personal expenses
- Local tourist taxes and entry fees (payable on-site)
- Any items not specifically mentioned as included in the programme
Options, extras and supplements
- Extra charges may be applicable for last-minute bookings for this specific tour
- Single room supplement for members of a group
- This holiday is available for solo travellers; a supplement will be charged as accommodation and luggage transfer costs are not shared (we never mix and match – solo travellers will be accommodated in single rooms)
- Extra nights in Interlaken and Romont are available upon request