The Kullaleden Trail and Bjäre Peninsula are both parts of the Skåneleden long-distance trail. The itinerary comprises a total of 115km long coastal walks on the Kullaberg Peninsula and the Bjäre Peninsula in the region of Skåne (Scania) in the south-west of Sweden. The area features diverse and dramatic nature, rich history and great locally produced food and wine. The hike starts in the medieval city Helsingborg, takes you to small coastal villages and beaches, and then continues on the mythical Kullen Peninsula. It passes through beautiful vineyards and by the mighty castles of Kulla Gunnarstorp and Krapperup. You will also enjoy relaxing moments at charming seaside resort towns such as Mölle by the Sea, charming Arild, Torekov.
- Kullen Lighthouse
- Nimis wooden sculpture by Lars Vilks
- Flickorna Lundgren på Skäret café
- Charming coastal villages
- Impressive castles and gardens
Click to view map
Day 1: Arrive in Helsingborg
Your tour starts in Helsingborg – one of the oldest cities in Sweden. We recommend that you arrive as early as possible so you have the time to explore this beautiful, medieval coastal town.
- Accommodation: Elite Hotel Mollberg or similar in Helsingborg
Day 2: Helsingborg – Höganäs | 22km
Today’s hike is called the Castle Walk and offers glorious views of Denmark on the other side of the strait. You will leave Helsingborg passing nice gardens. Soon you will reach the royal summer castle Sofiero. Some extra time for a visit is highly recommended. Later you will pass small seaside villages such as Hittarp, Domsten and Lerberget. We also recommend a detour to the castle Kulla Gunnarstorp from the 15th century. When you arrive at the charming village of Viken, you will see the Kullabergen Peninsula in the distance. Just before Höganäs is Lerberget, with its small harbour, suitable for a coffee break. Your overnight is in Höganäs.
- Walking for the day: 4-5h, 22km ↑16m ↓202m
- Accommodation: Fröken Hjorts Bed & Breakfast, Fridas Hotel or similar in Höganäs
Day 3: Höganäs – Mölle | 12km
Today’s walk is quite short and easy, and you will have plenty of time for sightseeing, so take the opportunity to enjoy nature and the views. The trail follows paths and smaller gravel roads along the sea. We recommend a short detour to historic Krapperup Castle with its impressive park. Once you arrive in Mölle by Sea, there is much to explore – take a stroll in the village and admire the charming houses, eat at a restaurant or have a coffee at the cosy Mölles Krukmakeri (Mölle pottery). Fancy a swim in the ocean? Then don’t forget the traditional striped swimsuit, known from the early 1900s. Mölle was the first place in Sweden where women and men would be allowed to go to the same beach, so people travelled long ways from Sweden and Denmark to experience “the sin in Mölle”.
- Walking for the day: 2-3h, 12km ↑59m ↓51m
- Accommodation: Pensionat Strandgården B&B or similar in Mölle
Day 4: Mölle – Arild | 17.3-18.8km
This day is filled with experiences and breathtaking views. From Mölle to Kullen Lighthouse, it takes about 1.5 hours; the route goes along cliff trails and through birch and oak forest. Don’t miss a visit to the cosy Ransviks Café on Kullaberg’s south side with a pebble beach that invites you to swim. Kullen Lighthouse is Sweden’s highest-situated lighthouse and has been here since the 13th century. The view is stunning. From here, you can take a small detour to visit the Silver Cave below the lighthouse. The path from the lighthouse to Arild goes halfway through a beech forest. At Josefinelund, about 3km from the lighthouse, there is a nice lookout point, and nearby, there is a rest area. If you feel that you have strength left, a few kilometres before Arild, the giant artwork Nimis is a must to visit. (NB. It is a steep descent and ascent to Nimis). Overnight in Arild.
- Walking for the day: shorter option – 4-5h 17.3km ↑522m ↓488m; longer option with Nimis – 5-6h, 18.8km ↑697 m ↓663m
- Accommodation: Arilds Vingård (Arild Vineyard, located 1.2km from Arild, NB. The rooms are small here)
Day 5: Arild – Utvälinge/Ängelholm | 21km
After breakfast, you have a 45-minute nice walk along the sea to the first coffee break: Flickorna Lundgren på Skäret – one of Sweden’s most beautiful cafés, founded in 1938 and a major attraction today. Then the trail continues towards Bökebäck harbour. The next stop is Jonstorp, where you arrive after a beautiful walk through the heather fields with a magical view of the island Hallands Väderö and Torekov at Bjäre Peninsula. The last stage goes through Farhult, with its long sandy beach. You can have an afternoon coffee at charming Albertsgården or relax. The hike goes through the bird area at the river mouth of the Görslövsån river, which you cross via a suspension bridge. From Utvälinge, you will take the local bus to the hotel in Ängelholm (the journey takes 16mins and departures are once an hour). At your hotel, you can enjoy the various saunas and whirlpools.
- Walking for the day: 5-6h, 21km ↑189m ↓190m
- Accommodation: Best Western Plus Hus 57, Hotel Lilton or similar in Ängelholm
Day 6: Ängelholm/Vejbystrand – Torekov | 20km
In the morning, you will have a short transfer (20 min) to Vejbystrand. The walk is easy on paths and small beach roads and through lush meadows and fields abundant in birdlife. At the end of the day, you will arrive at the pleasant summer village of Torekov. Just outside Torekov, you will find Hallands Väderö/ Halland’s Weather Island, which is worth a visit.
- Walking for the day: 5-6h, 20km ↑95m ↓92m
- Accommodation: Torekov Hotel or similar in Torekov
Day 7: Torekov – Båstad | 23km
To Hovs Hallar, you walk through beach meadows and forests, where there are distinctive flora and fauna. You then reach Hovs Hallar, where the Hallandsåsen Ridge meets the sea. Then continue to the lush north slope on Hallandsåsen Ridge, where you walk through Englandsdals nature reserve with deep ravines with high cliff walls and streams. Later you will pass Norrviken’s gardens, and you approach Båstad walking on small asphalt roads.
- Walking for the day: 6h, 23km ↑378m ↓358m
- Accommodation: Hjortens Hotel and Bed & Breakfast or similar in Båstad
Day 8: Departure
Your tour along Kullaleden and the Bjäre Peninsula ends after breakfast. There are regular train services from Båstad.
What to expect
Accommodation is in nice 3-star and 4-star hotels and guesthouses in private en-suite rooms. We have carefully hand-picked all places and regularly monitor their quality. We have tried to choose accommodations that offer friendly service, clean and comfortable rooms and local flavour. Hotel upgrade is possible at some places with a supplement (on request depending on availability).
Click to view our default hotels for this trip
- Elite Hotel Mollberg (Helsingborg)
- Fröken Hjorts Bed & Breakfast, Fridas Hotel (Höganäs)
- Pensionat Strandgården B&B (Mölle)
- Arilds Vingård (Arild Vineyard, located 1.2km from Arild, NB – the rooms are small)
- Hotel Lilton (Ängelholm)
- Torekov Hotel (Torekov)
- Hjortens Hotel and Bed & Breakfast (Båstad)
Click to view optional hotel upgrades
- Hotel Hotellet & CO in Höganäs
- Hotel Strand Arild (Arild)
- Hotel Skansen in Båstad
*Hotels are subject to availability. In case a hotel is fully booked for your desired dates, we will replace it with a property of equal standard. We will provide full accommodation details upon booking confirmation.
Accommodation is on a bed & breakfast basis. Lunches are available along the route; you can also choose to buy provisions from the local shops before starting the walk. You can have dinner at your hotel or nearby restaurants. Fröken Hjorts Bed & Breakfast is located 2km outside Höganäs, and you can borrow bicycles to bike to Höganäs for dinner. The famous Flickorna Lundgren på Skäret cafe is open from the beginning of May until mid-September.
Difficulty and terrain
This is an easy to moderate hiking tour (read more about difficulty grades). It is a well-maintained and signposted trail. We strongly advise you to follow only marked trails and never try to shorten the path through unknown and unmarked terrain. We will provide you with detailed road notes and maps, and you can call our 24/7 local assistance phone number anytime. More detailed info on route navigation will be included in your holiday information pack.
When to go
This trip is available from the beginning of April until the end of October, with departures from Friday to Tuesday (Wednesdays and Thursdays are not possible due to local events). Every year there is a big tennis tournament in Båstad between 05 – 18 July, and it isn’t easy to get accommodation in Båstad and Torekov. In this case, we can offer this solution: Walk Torekov – Båstad, train back to Helsingborg for overnight. Skåne is one of the warmest regions in Sweden, with an average daily temperature of 12°C. The climate widely corresponds to Central European weather conditions. It is cold and wet with a few beautiful summer months. The best time for walking is between the end of May and mid-September.
Click to view travel options and route planner
Recommended airport: Copenhagen
By train or bus
- By train: Take the train from Copenhagen Airport to Helsingborg (1h30 mins). Both Helsingborg and Båstad have frequent train departures.
- For more information and timetables, please visit DSB and SJ or use the Omio travel planner above.
- By ferry: Ferries to Helsingborg depart from Helsingör in Denmark to Knutpunkten in Helsingborg run by Scandlines.
- 7 overnights with breakfast as detailed in the itinerary
- Luggage transfer when changing hotels (1 piece of luggage per person, max 20kg)
- Private transfer Ängelholm – Vejbystrand on day 6
- Tour map and detailed information in English or German (1 per room) & GPS tracks
- 24/7 phone assistance by our local office/representative
- Airfare, connecting land transfers and other local transport
- Lunches, dinners, drinks and snacks
- Travel insurance (required – get a quote online)
- Personal expenses
- Local tourist taxes and entry fees (payable on-site)
- Any items not specifically mentioned as included in the programme
Options, extras and supplements
- Single room supplement for members of a group who require single rooms
- This holiday is available for solo travellers; a supplement will be charged as accommodation and luggage transfer costs are not shared (we never mix and match – solo travellers will be accommodated in single rooms)
- Extra nights along the route are available upon request.
- Possible upgrades to 4-star hotels in Höganäs and Båstad – on request
- We can arrange a 6-day/5-night programme on the Kullaleden trail from Helsingborg to Ängelholm