This is a short version of our most popular walking holiday in Catalonia. The coast and mountains of Costa Brava are a walker’s paradise, boasting a thousand-year-old network of footpaths that have been cleared, signposted and opened up for walkers. From the coast to the mountains, from sea to crag, from sandy beach to shady Mediterranean forest – this itinerary takes in the diverse natural landscapes of Catalonia and there is something to suit everyone. Enjoy the delicious Catalan cuisine and experience the hospitality of the local people on this fantastic walking holiday in the heart of Catalonia.
- The delicious seafood in Cadaqués
- Discover ancient historical sites like the dramatic Sant Pere de Rodes monastery
- The stunning views from Castle of Sant Salvador
- The sublime, rugged beauty of Cap de Creus
Click to view map
Day 1: Arrival Sant Pere Pescador
Arrive at Girona Airport or Figueres Vilafant train station (if landing in Barcelona), from where you will be transferred to your accommodation, and you will have a welcome meeting with an English speaking local guide. Surrounded by a wonderful landscape and crossed by the River Fluvià, St. Pere dates back to the year 974, when it was a possession of the Monastery of St. Pere de Rodes. Immerse yourself in the history and culture of the village, take a walk through the countryside and discover the wide-open landscape on the banks of the River Fluvià, with its apple orchards and nature trails.
- Overnight in a 3 or 4-star 19-th century country house in Sant Pere Pescador (Mas del Joncar or similar)
Day 2: Sant Pere Pescador to Castello D’Empuries | 12km
Today’s walk takes you along the banks of the River Fluviá, along the beach at its mouth and then through the Aiguamolls Natural Park. You are likely to spot birds such as Ibis, Herons, Tufted Ducks, Pochards, snipes, Redshanks, Marsh Harriers and Sandpipers at any time of the year. Still, you can make some exciting sightings during the spring and autumn migrations: Grey Herons, Golden Plovers, Flamingos, Black Storks and Spoonbills. You will eventually arrive at Castello D’Empuries. Castello is a beautiful medieval village steeped in history. There are many historical buildings to visit; the landmark of the village, visible from afar, is the Parish Church of Santa Maria, which is often called the Cathedral of the Empordà because of its size and gothic influenced architecture.
- Walking for the day: 12km, 4h
- Overnight in a 2 or 3-star hotel in Castello D’Empuries (Canet or similar)
Day 3: Platja Canyelles to Cadaqués | 16km
You will be transferred to Platja Canyelles (15min) in the morning, from where today’s walk starts. Head east along the coast following a spectacular coastal trail that is a walker’s dream come true. Pass many secluded beaches and coves with ample opportunities for a dip in the crystal-clear sea. Eventually, you will cut inland through hillsides packed with tiers of old olive groves and finally on to Cadaqués. Cadaqués is a beautiful whitewashed coastal town surrounded by mountains and a favourite of Picasso and Salvador Dalí. It is a great place for eating out; it has a great selection of restaurants ranging from small Mediterranean family-run restaurants to fresh fish restaurants, pizza cafes and tapas bars. We recommend trying the seafood during your stay in Cadaqués, it’s always fresh and delicious when washed down with a bottle of chilled Catalan white wine.
- Walking for the day: 16km, 5-6h
- Overnight in a 3-star hotel in Cadaqués (Octavia or similar)
Day 4: Cadaqués to El Port de la Selva | 12km
Leaving Cadaqués behind, you make your way north through the heart of the famous Cap de Creus national park. You will follow a rural trail with beautiful views of the Catalan countryside, you’ll have some magnificent views of the Pyrenees and the French/Spanish border before arriving in El Port de la Selva. El Port de la Selva is outstanding for its varied landscapes, its beaches and its mountains. The village retains the charm of a small fishing settlement, and there are many places to visit, including the Taballera Dolmen and the Serra de Rodes medieval site, made up of Sant Pere de Rodes Monastery, Sant Salvado Castle (13th century), Santa Elena Shrine, the village of Santa Creu and Sant Fruitós Church. The village offers some of Catalonia’s best beaches.
- Walking for the day: 12km, 5h
- Overnight in a 4-star hotel at El Port de la Selva (Porto Cristo Spa or similar)
Day 5: El Port de la Selva to Palau Saverdera | 12km
Leaving El Port de la Selva behind you, walk northwest, ascending to the Sant Pere de Rodes cloister (Open Oct 1st to May 31st 10 am – 5.30 pm, June 1st to Sept. 30th from 10 am to 8 pm, closed on Mondays), considered one of the most important monasteries in Spain. You will then make your way up to the ruins of the Castle of Sant Salvador. From here, you will have a breathtaking view of the Alt Emporda, across to the Albera Mountains and far into the Pyrenees. You also have stunning views of the Bay of Roses and the entire Cap de Creus. You will then walk down to the village of Palau Saverdera.
- Walking for the day: 12km, 5h
- Overnight in a 3-star country house in Palau Saverdera (El Cau de Palau or similar)
Day 6: Departure or Onward Travel
Return home or individual stay extension.
What to expect
On this walking holiday, you will be staying in charming hotels and country houses. We have carefully hand-picked all places and regularly monitor their quality. We have tried to choose accommodations that offer friendly service, clean and comfortable rooms and local flavour.
Click to view default hotels
*Hotels are subject to availability. In case a particular hotel is fully booked for your desired dates, we will replace it with a hotel of equal value and quality level. We will provide exact accommodation details to you upon booking confirmation.
Breakfast is included. When no restaurant location is available on route, lunches and snacks should either be bought from local shops, or packed lunch can be pre-ordered from your hotel the night before. Dinner is available either from the restaurant in your accommodation or restaurants in the village near your hotel.
Difficulty and terrain
This holiday is appropriate for moderately experienced walkers (no high mountain experience required) and requires a basic level of fitness. Walks have a relaxed pace with time to take in the views and surroundings. The day’s walk to Cadaques from Platja Canyelles is a little steep in places and may require a little more effort; average elevation gain/loss on the other days is up to 50-100m, and walking time is up to 5h (read more about difficulty grades). The trails are a mixture of GR routes and local paths. We strongly advise you to follow only marked trails and never try to shorten the path through the unknown and unmarked terrain. We will provide you with detailed road notes and maps, and you can call our 24/7 local assistance phone number anytime. More detailed info on route navigation will be included in your holiday information pack.
When to go
This trip is available from January till early July and from early September till mid-November.
The flexibility of self guided holidays means that there are no fixed dates, and you can start your trip on any date within the season. We do not offer this trip after the second week of July and in August as it is too hot for walking, the hotels become too expensive, and they are usually fully booked by the beach crowd.
On the coast, the climate is Mediterranean, with mild and relatively rainy winters, and hot and sunny summers.
FCO up-to-date travel advice on Spain.
Click to view travel options
By train or bus
- The private transfer from Girona airport to your first accommodation (included) takes approximately 1h.
- If you fly to Barcelona, you need to take the shuttle train to Barcelona Sants from the airport; they leave every 30min and take approx. 20min. You then change trains at Sants and take a train to Figueres Vilafant (53min) or Figueres (approx 2h) depending on the train you take. There are also convenient bus connections (including direct lines from Girona or Barcelona operated by Sarfa). The private transfer from Figueres or Figueres Vilafant (included) to your first accommodation takes approximately 1h.
- The package includes a private transfer to Girona (train station or airport) or Figueres Vilafant (if flying from Barcelona). We can also offer an optional private transfer directly to Barcelona Airport.
- See up-to-date train schedules here and bus schedules here, or use the Omio planner above.
- An alternative to air travel is by rail – the train journey from London to Girona takes about 10h.
- 5 nights in nice hotels and country houses with breakfast included (private en-suite rooms)
- Welcome meet and greet
- Private transfer from (train station or airport) or Figueres Vilafant train station (if flying into Barcelona) to the first hotel on Day 1
- Private transfer to Girona (train station or airport) or Figueres Vilafant (if flying from Barcelona) from the last hotel on Day 6
- Luggage transfers from hotel to hotel on all walking days
- Holiday information pack including GPS-checked and regularly updated route descriptions, road notes and maps (electronic copy + one printed copy per party)
- 24/7 phone assistance by our local office/representative
- Airfare and airport transfers other than the Girona (airport or train station) or Figueres Vilafant complimentary private transfers on Days 1 and 6
- Lunches, dinners, drinks and snacks
- Travel insurance (required – get a quote online)
- Personal expenses
- Local tourist taxes and entry fees (payable on-site)
- Any items not explicitly listed as included
Options, extras and supplements
- A supplement applies to members of a group who require a single room
- This holiday is available for solo travellers; a supplement will be charged as accommodation and luggage transfer costs are not shared (we never mix and match – solo travellers will be accommodated in single rooms)
- Extra nights along the trail are bookable upon request
- Optional upgrade to a hotel with outdoor pool in Cadaques – sea-view room with balcony (1 night) – Hotel Llanes Petit or similar