Discover the hidden gems of the Costa Brava, walking on quiet trails between traditional villages and charming old towns, including Salvador Dali’s former haunt, the white-washed town of Llafranc. The route begins in the historic town of Begur. You will then walk along the Catalan coast to the beautiful coastal village of Tamariu and then southwards along the Camino de Ronda, an incredible trail offering you some fantastic rugged coastal scenery and numerous opportunities for dips in the sea at secluded sandy coves.
Enjoy the delicious Catalan cuisine and experience the hospitality of the local people on this unique walking holiday in the less-travelled part of Catalonia.
- The fairy-tale town of Begur crowned by an 11th-century castle
- Llafranc with its small aquamarine bay and a gorgeous long stretch of golden sand
- The beautiful botanic gardens at Cap Roig
- The whitewashed buildings of Calella, the southernmost of Palafrugell’s seaside crown jewels
Click to view map
Day 1: Arrival Begur
Arrive at Girona Airport or Figueres Vilafant train station (if landing in Barcelona), from where you will be transferred to your accommodation in Begur, and you will have a welcome meeting with an English speaking local guide. Begur is a charming historic town with numerous colonial-style houses, narrow streets and alleyways. The fishermen’s huts still remain in the coves testifying to a long and intense history in which pirates, sailors, coral gatherers, fishermen and multiple generations of Begur townspeople have populated these lands. Do not miss also visiting the medieval castle overlooking the town and offering some spectacular views.
- Overnight in a 3-star hotel in Begur (Rosa or similar)
Day 2: Sa Tuna Circular Walk | 8km
Today you will take a beautiful circular route to Sa Tuna and Cala d’Aiquafreda through the amazing Catalan countryside. Sa Tuna and Cala d’Aiquafreda are situated in beautiful bays with lovely beaches surrounded by pine forests.
- Walking for the day: 8km, 3h
- Overnight in the same 3-star hotel in Begur (Rosa or similar)
Day 3: Begur to Llafranc | 13km
Today you leave Begur behind and head along a stunning coastal trail. You’ll pass the beautiful seaside village of Tamariu with a spectacular sandy beach, then walk onwards around the La Musclera Headland and the bay of Cala Pedrosa. You’ll then reach the San Sebastián lighthouse with incredible views over the Mediterranean and the majestic High Pyrenees. Finally, after a superb walk, you’ll arrive in Llafranc. Llafranc is a vibrant white-washed seaside town frequented by film stars and artists, including Salvador Dalí, throughout the 20th century. The fishermen’s cottages, with boathouses on the beach which stretch around its coves, will not fail to seduce you.
- Walking for the day: 13km, 4-5h
- Overnight in a 3-star hotel in Llafranc (Llevant or similar)
Day 4: Llafranc to Calella de Palafrugell | 12km
Today you head inland which will give you the opportunity to experience the beautiful Catalan interior. You will pass through the historic market town of Palafrugell (the market is every day apart from Mondays). Then onwards to the beautiful white-washed seaside town of Calella de Palafrugell. Calella de Palafrugell is spread along a number of beautiful sandy coves interspersed with pink-hued rocks. With fishing boats lying on the sands and cafés and restaurants under the arches of the pastel-coloured buildings, it is difficult to think of a prettier Spanish seaside town.
- Walking for the day: 12km, 4h
- Overnight in a 3-star hotel in Calella de Palafrugell (Sant Roc or similar)
Day 5: Calella de Palafrugell Circular Walk | 4km
Today you will have time to relax in this beautiful sea-side village, perhaps enjoy a long lazy lunch and take some time on the beach. Or you can a short walk and visit the botanic gardens at Cap Roig. In 1927, Col. Woevodsky and Dorothy Webster bought the land of this estate in Cap Roig, where they began building a manor house and a magnificent park. The works continued until 1974. The garden runs down in terraces from the castle to the sea. The first ones (Nuns’ Terraces, El Bassin Terrace, Lovers’ Garden) are connected by the Cypresses Staircase and have a marked architectural character. From there on, the paths descend gently towards the coast. This area is home to the Spring Garden, Cactus Garden and Geranium Walk.
- Walking for the day: 4km, 1h
- Overnight in the same 3-star hotel in Calella de Palafrugell (Sant Roc or similar)
Day 6: Calella de Palafrugell to La Fosca | 8km
Today you’ll leave Calella de Palafrugell behind and carry along a very scenic coastal trail with many beautiful secret coves; you’ll then head inland across fields and through hills clad in pine, olive and oak trees. You’ll pass the protected fishing hamlet of S’Alguer and finally arrive at La Fosca. La Fosca is a lovely small village on the seafront, it has a really nice sandy beach, and it is the perfect place for a swim to cool off.
- Walking for the day: 8km, 3h
- Overnight in a 3-star hotel in Platja de la Fosca (Ancora or similar)
Day 7: La Fosca to S’Agaró | 16km
Leaving La Fosca behind, you head towards Palamós. You will walk along the promenade at Palamós before picking up the beautiful Cami de Ronda coastal path; this is a lovely scenic route along the coast with the Mediterranean sparkling in the sun on your left and pine-clad hills on your right. You’ll pass the harbour at Playa de Aro and cross the sandy beach at Sa Cuenca Bay and then walk onwards to your final destination, the elegant resort town of S’Agaró. Stroll along the beach-side walkway that houses much of the town’s most important architecture or go for a swim at the Sant Pol beach.
- Walking for the day: 16km, 4-5h
- Overnight in a 3-star hotel in S’Agaró (Sant Pol or similar)
Day 8: Departure or Onward Travel
Return home or individual stay extension.
What to expect
On this walking holiday, you will be staying in charming 3-star hotels. We have carefully hand-picked all places and regularly monitor their quality. We have tried to choose accommodations that offer friendly service, clean and comfortable rooms and local flavour.
Click to view default hotels
*Hotels are subject to availability. In case a particular hotel is fully booked for your desired dates, we will replace it with a hotel of equal value and quality level. We will provide exact accommodation details to you upon booking confirmation.
Breakfast is included. When no restaurant location is available on route lunches, and snacks should either be bought from local shops, or packed lunch can be pre-ordered from your hotel the night before. Dinner is available either from the restaurant in your accommodation or restaurants in the village near your hotel.
Difficulty and terrain
This holiday is appropriate for moderately experienced walkers (no high mountain experience required, no steep ascents or descents) and requires a basic level of fitness. Walks have a relaxed pace with time to take in the views and surroundings. The longest walk is on Day 7, which is 16km on an easy coastal path (read more about difficulty grades). The trails are a mixture of GR routes and local paths. We strongly advise you to follow only marked trails and never shorten the path through the unknown and unmarked terrain. We will provide you with detailed road notes and maps, and you can call our 24/7 local assistance phone number anytime. More detailed info on route navigation will be included in your holiday information pack.
When to go
This trip is available from March till June and in September and October.
The flexibility of self guided holidays means that there are no fixed dates, and you can start your trip on any date within the season. We do not offer this trip in July and August as it is too hot for walking, the hotels become too expensive, and they are usually fully booked by the beach crowd.
On the coast, the climate is Mediterranean, with mild and relatively rainy winters and hot and sunny summers.
FCO up-to-date travel advice on Spain.
Click to view travel options
By train or bus
- The private transfer from Girona airport to your first accommodation (included) takes approximately 45min.
- If you fly to Barcelona, you need to take the shuttle train to Barcelona Sants from the airport; they leave every 30min and take approx. 20mins. You then change trains at Sants and take a train to Figueres Vilafant (53min) or Figueres (approx 2h) depending on the train you take. There are also convenient bus connections (including direct lines from Girona or Barcelona operated by Sarfa). The private transfer from Figueres or Figueres Vilafant (included) to your first accommodation takes approximately 45min.
- Departure: We offer an optional private transfer back to Girona or Barcelona Airport, however, you can also make your own way by bus with Sarbus or Sarfa. There are several buses a day from Sant Feliu de Guíxols to Barcelona Airport they take 2h and cost approx. €10 per person. There are 3 buses a day from Sant Feliu de Guíxols to Girona Bus Station, they take 2h 5min and around cost €10 per person, you then need to take a bus or taxi (approx. €30) to the airport.
- See up-to-date train schedules here and bus schedules here, or use the Omio planner above.
- An alternative to air travel is by rail – the train journey from London to Girona takes about 10h.
- 7 nights in 3-star hotels with breakfast included
- Welcome meet & greet
- Private transfer from Girona Airport or Figueres Vilafant train station to the first hotel on Day 1
- Luggage transfers from hotel to hotel on all walking days
- Holiday information pack including GPS-checked and regularly updated route descriptions, road notes and maps (electronic copy + one printed copy per party)
- 24/7 phone assistance by our local office/representative
- Airfare and airport transfers other than the Girona Airport or Figueres Vilafant transfer on Day 1
- Lunches, dinners, drinks and snacks
- Travel insurance (required – get a quote online)
- Personal expenses
- Local tourist taxes and entry fees (payable on-site)
- Any items not explicitly listed as included
Options, extras and supplements
- A supplement applies to members of a group who require a single room
- This holiday is available for solo travellers; a supplement will be charged as accommodation and luggage transfer costs are not shared (we never mix and match – solo travellers will be accommodated in single rooms)
- Extra nights along the trail are bookable upon request
- Optional upgrade to sea-view rooms where possible
- Half Board (add dinners on all evenings)