Take one of the more spectacular treks in Europe across the stunning Julian Alps and summit Mount Triglav, the highest in Slovenia, privately guided by a licensed mountain guide. The jagged limestone peaks offer some of Europe’s best scenery and walking, with Mount Triglav at the centre of the range, and the glacial lakes of Bohinj and Bled far below.
This trek will reward you with green meadows, deep valleys, impressive peaks and, of course, the option to climb the majestic Mount Triglav. Walk across high passes and Alpine meadows and recharge at night with delicious mountain cuisine at simple but welcoming mountain huts. This tour requires some experience of walking at high altitudes and narrow trails.
- Experience the breathtaking scenery of high mountain peaks and lakes
- Beautiful Triglav National Park and Triglav Lakes Valley
- Stay in charming mountain huts
- Summit Mt Triglav (2,864m) – the highest peak of the Julian Alps
- Take in the picturesque lakes of Bled and Bohinj
Click to view map
Day 1: Arrival in Lake Bled
Arrive at Ljubljana Airport and take either a public or a private transfer to your hotel at Lake Bled. Meet our representative, who will brief you on the walks and give you the maps and the documentation needed for your trip. Walk around the beautiful glacial Lake Bled, one of the most picturesque locations in the world, with its unique island church sitting proudly in the lake, and the castle perched high upon a cliff standing guard over the town. You can optionally book an extra night in Bled and enjoy some great panoramic walks in the area.
- Accommodation: 4-star Triglav Hotel on the lakeshore, or a similar 3 or 4-star hotel in Bled
- Walking for the day: none / walk around the lake
Day 2: Pokljuka – Planika or Kredarica Hut | 12km
After breakfast, you will have a short transfer to reach the heart of Triglav National Park. Your walk starts from Pokljuka Plateau, and the trail slowly ascends to Vodnikov Dom hut, where lunch and some rest can be taken. The daily destination is Planika hut, right underneath Mt. Triglav – the highest Slovene mountain (2,864m).
Note: Today, your main luggage gets collected at the Bled hotel and will be safely stored at our local office in Bled until you reach Bohinj at the end of the walk on day 4. You will not have access to it until then, so make sure you have everything you need in your backpack – mountain hut accommodation (not accessible by car) on next 2 nights!
Day 3: Planika Hut – Mount Triglav – Vodnikov Dom | 6.3km
Time to climb to the top of Mt. Triglav, towering high above Planika Hut. This is best done very early in the morning so you may enjoy the sunrise and the stunning views. After traditional baptism, receiving the honours for climbing the “Three-Headed Mountain” and thus becoming a real Slovene, you will start your descent. A short stop for lunch at Kredarica hut and you’ll head for your day’s destination – Vodnikov dom above Bohinj Valley
- Accommodation: Vodnikov Dom Hut, dormitory with shared facilities
- Walking for the day: 6.3km, ↑610m, ↓1,150m, 4-5h
Day 4: Lake Bohinj | 14 km
Descending in a southern direction you will reach the beautiful and unspoiled Voje Valley and Mostnice Gorge, where river Motnica has cut its deep, steep and narrow riverbed into limestone hillsides. Stop for a moment at the Devils’ bridge. End your day enjoying great views of Bohinj Lake. Walking along the shore of Bohinj Lake will bring you to Ribcev Laz village where you can warm up with delicious home-made honey brandy and schnapps in the local taverns. In summer months one can enjoy a swim in the crystal clear water of Bohinj Lake. Alternatively, you can ascend Mt. Vogel with a gondola lift. From top (1,532m) you’ll be able to enjoy a perfect panoramic view of the Julian Alps and the area you walked in on the previous days.
- Accommodation: Kristal Family Hotel or similar
- Walking for the day: 14km, ↑430m, ↓1,720m, 5-6h
Day 5: Extra night Bohinj or departure
Enjoy an extra day at Lake Bohinj or departure by public transport (private transfers bookable on request).
What to expect
Accommodation is in 3 or 4-star hotels (2 nights) and in mountain huts in dormitories with shared facilities (2 nights). You will also spend three nights in mountain huts in dormitories with shared facilities. We have carefully hand-picked all places and regularly monitor their quality. We have tried to choose accommodations that offer friendly service, clean and comfortable rooms and local flavour.
Click to view default hotels
Hotels are subject to availability. In case a particular hotel is fully booked for your desired dates we will replace it with a hotel of equal value and quality level. We will provide to you exact accommodation details upon booking confirmation.
Breakfast is included on all days. Dinner can be ordered from an a la carte menu in the huts. In towns each hotel has its own restaurant where you can taste international or Slovenian meals or you can also try Slovenian cuisine in other local restaurants. Each hiking day passes by several mountain huts with restaurant facilities where you can get water and lunch – or you can pre-order a packed lunch on the previous night.
Difficulty and terrain
This holiday is appropriate for experienced hikers. Average walking is 4-6 hours per day. You will be accompanied by a qualified mountain guide. There are via ferrata sections on day 3, you will need to use hands too. Not suitable for anyone with a vertigo problem, nor for children under 16 years (read more about difficulty grades).
You will walk on hiking trails, most of them in the Alpine zone, with mostly rocky terrain. The trails are very well signposted and you will be accompanied by a certified mountain guide. We strongly advise you to follow only marked trails and never try to shorten the path through the unknown and unmarked terrain. More detailed info on route navigation will be included in your holiday information pack.
When to go
This tour can be organized between early July and early September. The itinerary contains high altitude routes which are closed to the public during winter, spring and early summer. Best month for hiking is August.
The flexibility of privately guided holidays means that there are no fixed dates and you can start your holiday on any date in the season – so please indicate desired starting date when booking.
Climate is mostly of a mountain and alpine character, cold and moist influenced by high altitudes. Snow cover in valleys and peaks persists from 180 to 250 days of a year. Windy weather is typical and during summer afternoon storms are usual. Average temperature in July is 15C.
Last-minute bookings with departure within 21 days available upon request. A supplement of 10% of the tour price will be applicable.
Click to view travel options
Recommended arrival and departure airport: Ljubljana
By train or bus
- Pre-departure information pack (only digitally)
- IFMGA licensed private Alpine high-altitude guide from day 2 to and including day 4
- Via Ferrata equipment (harness, helmet) for the Mt Triglav climb
- Accommodation for 2 nights in hand-picked 3 to 4-star hotels
- Accommodation for 2 nights in mountain cabins, dormitories with shared facilities, limited water and wi-fi (linen not included)
- 4 breakfasts
- Private transfer from Bled to Pokljuka (Day 2)
- Transfer of main luggage from Bled to Bohinj on day 4 (one piece per person, max 23kg, dimensions X+Y+Z ->158cm)
- Local tourist taxes
- 24/7 phone assistance by our local office/representative
- Airfare and connecting land transfers
- Lunches, dinners, drinks and snacks
- Luggage transfers on walking days
- Travel insurance (required – get a quote online)
- Personal expenses
- Linen in mountain huts, available at approx. 6 EUR per person
- Entry fees (payable on-site)
- Any items not explicitly listed as included
Options, extras and supplements
- Single room supplement: Where individual members of a group require a single room, a single room supplement is available only for hotel overnights on Days 1 and 4 (not for the mountain cabins where accommodation is in dormitories)
- This privately guided holiday is NOT available for solo travellers
- Private airport transfers to/from airport
- Extra nights in Bled, Bohinj and Ljubljana