The VeloDunajec is a new cycling trail in the Małopolska region of southern Poland, the regional capital of which is Kraków. Covering almost 200km in a week, cycle through the landscapes of the Dunajec Valley and Gorge, surrounded by the Pieniny Mountains. This trip also takes you into the Tatras Mountains’ foothills, with a night in Zakopane, gateway town to Tatra National Park. There is also an array of medieval highlights along the way, including Zamek Dunajec w Niedzicy Castle, on the banks of the River Dunajec, and the 13th-century town of Stary Sącz. Stay in small, locally-owned hotels, with luggage transfers. There is also an option to rent e-bikes on this tour.
- Tatra Mountains
- Dunajec River Gorge
- Pieniny Mountains
Click to view map
Day 1: Arrival in Kraków
Welcome to Kraków. Depending on arrival time, use the rest of the day to explore this fine city, with no better place to start than in its Old Town (Stare Miaso), one of Europe’s finest medieval centres, and UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Accommodation: Hotel Kazimierz or similar in Kraków
Day 2: Zakopane and the Tatras Mountains | 22km
The morning begins with a transfer to Ząb, the country’s highest village. From here, the route descends to Zakopane, passing through the foothills of the High Tatras.
- Cycling distance: 22km
- Accommodation: Czarny Potok or similar in Zakopane
Day 3: Zakopane – Niedzica-Zamek | 42km
Today’s destination is Niedzica-Zamek and the magnificent Zamek Dunajec w Niedzicy Castle on the banks of the River Dunajec. The route passes through Dzianisz and Chochołów, famous for their traditional wooden houses and 15th-century wooden church in Dębno.
- Cycling for the day: 42km
- Accommodation: Hotel Lokis or similar in Niedzica-Zamek
Day 4: Niedzica-Zamek – Szczawnica | 41km
The route today heads to the spa town of Szczawnica, following the Pienińska Road along the Dunajec River and passing 200m-high limestone cliffs.
- Cycling for the day: 41km
- Accommodation: Hotel Nawigator or similar in Szczawnica
Day 5: Szczawnica – Stary Sącz | 58km
Continue along the VeloDunajec to the 13th-century town of Stary Sącz, home to a traditional market square and Klasztor Sióstr Klarysek Monastery.
- Cycling for the day: 58km
- Accommodation: Hotel U bram Klasztoru or similar in Stary Sącz
Day 6: Stary Sącz – Nowy Sącz | 29km
Today’s ride heads toward the market square of Nowy Sącz and Nowosądecki Town Hall. After taking some time to explore the area, the day concludes with a transfer back to Kraków.
- Cycling for the day: 29km
- Accommodation: Hotel Kazimierz or similar in Kraków
Day 7: Departure
Departure or extension upon request.
What to expect
Accommodation is in 3-star hotels, located close to the national parks and cycle paths. They have been carefully selected based on a variety of criteria including their location, warm hospitality, fine local food or commitment to responsible tourism. All rooms have en-suite or private bathrooms.
Click to view default hotels
Hotels are subject to availability. In the event of a particular hotel being fully booked for your chosen dates, we will replace it with a hotel of equal value and quality level. We will provide exact accommodation details to you upon booking confirmation.
Breakfast is included each morning and packed lunches can be pre-ordered from your hotel or purchased from local shops. Dinner is available either from the restaurant in the hotel or from restaurants in towns and villages where the accommodation is located. Most restaurants offer local specialties as well as international cuisine.
Difficulty and terrain
This tour is rated easy to moderate with the longest cycling day being 58km. The routes follows dedicated cycle paths or quiet local roads, but the terrine is mostly undulating, therefore, requiring a good level of fitness to be enjoyed fully. (read more about difficulty grades).
We will provide route notes and maps, and you can call our 24/7 local assistance phone number anytime. More detailed information on route navigation will be included in your pre-departure information pack.
When to go
This trip is available from the start of May until the end of September.
The flexibility of self-guided holidays means that there are no fixed dates and you can start your holiday on any date in the season.
Average temperatures vary from 14C in May to 20C in August and the highest precipitation occurs in June.
Click to view travel options and route planner
Recommended arrival and departure airport: Kraków (KRK).
By train or bus
- From Kraków airport, take a train to the city centre (20mins and approximately 12PLN). Alternatively, you can take a taxi from the airport to the city centre (approximately 75PLN).
- 6 nights accommodation in en-suite rooms
- 6 breakfasts
- Luggage transportation between the hotels
- Detailed pre-departure holiday information pack including GPS-checked and regularly updated route descriptions and maps
- GPS tracks
- 24/7 phone support by our local office/representative
- Airfare and airport transfers
- Lunches, dinners, drinks and snacks
- Travel insurance (required – get a quote online)
- Personal expenses
- Any items not specifically mentioned as included in the programme
Options, extras and supplements
- If you’re travelling in a group, a supplement applies to group members who would like to have a room of their own
- This holiday is available for solo travellers upon request only; a supplement will be charged as accommodation and luggage transfer costs are not shared (we never mix and match – solo travellers will be accommodated in single rooms)
- Guided tour of Wieliczka Salt Mine near Kraków with return transport
- Guided tour of Auschwitz-Birkenau Memorial Museum with return transport
- Half board
- Extra nights in Kraków
- Bike rental
- Arrival/departure airport transfers
We offer rental of both standard hybrid bikes and e-bikes. Hybrid models are equipped with 27-speed Shimano derailleur gears, and e-bike models with a Bosch driving system and 7-speed Shimano Nexus hub gears. Both options come equipped with a waterproof back pannier and handlebar bag with plastic cover for GPS/smartphone. Sample pictures attached below, note that the exact models may differ depending on the availability, but the standard will be the same.