An eight day, self-guided adventure cycling in Norway on its magnificent Mjølkevegen, a 250km trail through some of Norway’s finest natural heritage including Jotunheimen National Park. Translated as the Milky Way after the dairy farms that are scattered across this Valdres region, it’s enveloped by the Jotunheimen Mountains. Starting in the north at Lemonsjøen, you head south as far as Kamben on an exhilarating trail that has a mix of climbs, downhills and wide-open stretches, surrounded by impressive peaks and lakelands. Stay in a mix of hotels and mountain lodges, with luggage transfers.
- Jotunheimen National Park
- Boat ride on M/B Bitihorn across Lake Bygdin
- Traditional Norwegian food
- Cycle a section of Norway’s Kings Road
Click to view map
Day 1: Oslo to Lemonsjøen
Take the express bus (approx. 5h) from Oslo towards Valdres and Jotunheimen National Park, travelling through the heart of Norway, passing mountains, valleys, rivers and farms. The buses have free wifi, power outlets with USB chargers and toilets.
- Accommodation: Lemonsjø Fjellstue or similar
Day 2: Lemonsjøen to Espedalen | 59km
Cycle along a gravel road through the wooded Murudalen Valley and along several rivers until you come to the village of Skåbu. From there it’s not far to your next accommodation at Espedalen. The area is also often called Elgland, famous for its many moose crossings. They also have their own brewery, a perfect stop after your first day of cycling.
- Cycling for the day: 3-6h, 59km, ↑750m ↓730m
- Accommodation: Ruten Fjellstue or similar
Day 3: Espedalen to Bygdin | 63km
Today you follow the Jotunheimvegen,cycling from wooded Espedalen Valley towards the fjells above the treeline at Jotunheimen. Cycle past many summer farms and grazing areas along the way, alongside Lake Vinstre, with views of the Jotunheimen Mountains, and Mount Bithorn. Your hotel is by Bygdinvannet and the pier to M/B Bitihorn.
- Cycling for the day: 4-5h, 63km, ↑870m ↓690m
- Accommodation: Bygdin Høifieldhotell or similar
Day 4: Bygdin to Tyinkrysset | 23km
Take a rest this morning on the shores of the lake, or take a hike to one of the nearby summits, as your boat doesn’t leave until the afternoon.
Hiking suggestion: Sysnhorn (1,457m), on easy trails with some rocky stretches near the top and with superb views of the Jotunheimen Mountains. Then take a cruise on the historical M/B Bitihorn over Lake Bygdin (1.5h). After you reached Eidsbugarden by boat, follow the gravel road to Tyin along the lake. Take a detour into Koldedalen from Tyinholmen crossroads to come closer to iconic mountains such as Falketinden, Uranostinden and some impressive glaciers. From Tyin, cycle down the paved road to Tyinkrysset and your accommodation, Filefjellstuene.
- Cycling for the day: 2-3h, 23km, ↑400m ↓220m
- Optional hike to Synshorn: 1-2h, 5km, ↑450m
- Accommodation: Filefjellstuene or similar
Day 5: Tyinkrysset to Syndinstøga | 53km
From Tyinkrysset, follow the main road and a section of the historic Kings Road down to Lake Vangsmjøse. Follow this beautiful lake along some steep hillsides, then ascend to Syndin plateau and Syndinstøga (approx.1,000m). This stretch is the most challenging sectionof the Mjølkevegen.
- Cycling for the day: 4-6h, 53km, ↑974m ↓891m
- Accommodation: Syndinstøga or similar
Day 6: Syndinstøga to Vaset | 29km
This is a shorter day of cycling, travelling through a beautiful region of summer farms and cabins following gravel roads. There is an option for a shorter 4km trail. Your destination today is the Vaset region.
- Cycling for the day: 2-4h, 29km, ↑423m ↓416m
- Accommodation: Gomobu Mountain Lodge or similar
Day 7: Vaset to Kamben | 35km
Today you head along the Panoramavegen with great views of the Golsmountains. In between, you have the chance to visit a summer farm and the famous café Langestolen.
- Cycling for the day: 2-3h, 35km, ↑330m ↓377m
- Accommodation: Kamben Høyfjellshotell or similar
Day 8: Departure
Transfer by express bus from Fagernes back to Oslo.
What to expect
Accommodation on this tour include hotels and charming lodges. They have been carefully selected based on a variety of criteria including their location, warm hospitality, fine local food or commitment to responsible tourism. All of them have rooms with private facilities and serve traditional Norwegian mountain cuisine. All accommodation offer a place to lock your bicycle, charge the battery and have some basic tools if you need to fix your bicycle.
Click to view sample hotels
- Lemonsjø Fjellstue(Lemonsjøen)
- Ruten Fjellstue (Espedalen)
- Bygdin Høifieldhotell (Bygdin)
- Filefjellstuene (Tyinkrysset)
- Syndinstøga (Syndinstøga)
- Gomobu Mountain Lodge (Vaset)
- Kamben Høyfjellshotell (Kamben)
Hotels are subject to availability. In the event of a particular hotel being fully booked for your chosen dates, we will replace it with a hotel of equal value and quality level. We will provide exact accommodation details to you upon booking confirmation.
This tour includes breakfast, packed lunch (self-prepared from the breakfast buffet) and dinner. If you want another drink for dinner or snacks/chocolate on the trip, this can be bought at the cabins. It is possible to fill the thermos with hot drinks (for a fee) and drinking bottles with water (free of charge) at all accommodations.
Difficulty and terrain
We rate the difficulty level moderate. The Mjølkevegen consists mainly of gravel roads. Partly you will cycle paved roads and as well single trails. You share the road with cars but traffic is very limited. What you more often will meet are cows, goats and sheep along your way.The route is well marked. However, you will get the official Mjølkevegen map from us and in addition gpx files for all routes for your own navigation (read more about difficulty grades).
When to go
This trip is available to start from the end of June till the beginning of September.
The flexibility of self-guided holidays means that there are no fixed dates, and you can start your trip on any date during the season.
Click to view travel options
The closest international airport is Oslo (OSL), 50km away from Oslo bus terminal.
- 7 nights in comfortable mountain lodges and hotels as listed in the itinerary
- 7 breakfasts
- 7 packed lunches (self-prepared from the breakfast buffet)
- 7 dinners (2/5-course or buffet)
- Bus transport to/from Oslo
- Boat tickets
- Luggage transfers (one piece of luggage up to 20kg per person) when changing hotels
- Detailed journey documentation and practical information: personalised trip notes and Mjølkevegen map (emailed before departure and a map provided at first hotel; one set per room)
- 24/7 phone assistance by our local office/representative
- Flights and airport transfers
- Travel insurance (required – get a quote online)
- Bike rental
- Personal expenses such as snacks, drinks, phone calls, extra transfers, tips, etc.
- Entrance fees for attractions and museums
- Any items not explicitly listed as included
Options, extras and supplements
- If you are travelling in a group, a supplement applies to group members who would like to have a single room
- This holiday is NOT available for solo travellers
- Bike and e-bike rental, includes helmet, luggage rack and repair kit
- Model: HardRocx E-Shock 3
- Frame: E1
- Drive system: New Shimano STEPS E6100 w/60nm torque and large display
- Fork: RST Gila TNL w/lock out
- Brakes: Shimano BR-MT200 hydraulic disc brake
- Wheel set: Shimano Centerlock / Alex DM-18 for e-bike
- Deck: Kenda Slant Six 29 x 2.2
- Gears: 9
- Battery type and capacity: Shimano BT-E8010 14Ah/504Wh
- Range: High mode 60 km,Normal mode 85 km,Eco mode 125 km
- Size: XL. L. M and S