The Lycian Way Trail from Fethiye to Antalya is considered one of the most beautiful hiking trails in the world. This short break is a condensed version of our Lycian Way East seven-night walking holiday, combining some of its walks into a more strenuous, five-night itinerary.
- Walk the best parts of the eastern section of Turkey’s Lycian Way
- Experience an authentic, less-travelled side of Turkey
- See the eternal flames of Chimaera
- Explore the ruins of Olympos, dating back to 300 BC
- Fantastic views over turquoise seas from Cape Gelidonya’s lighthouse
- Stroll the streets of Antalya’s vibrant old town
Click to view map
Day 1: Arrival in Antalya
Arrive at Antalya Airport and enjoy our complimentary transfer to your hotel in Antalya’s historical Old Town (15 km / 20 minutes). Meet our representative, who will brief you on the walks and give you the maps and the documentation needed for your trip.
Day 2: Walk from Gedelme to Ovacik, Ovacik Circular Walk | 21 km
Transfer to the trailhead above the village of Gedelme in the mountains of the Olympos National Park (56 km / 1.5 hours). First, you walk through high pine forests, then through gorges to an alpine pasture. Enjoy the views of the Tahtalı Dağı (2,370 m) and the sea. Your destination is the mountain village of Ovacık. After you reach Ovacik, you will do a circular walk via the village Kozarasi and back to Ovacik.
- Accommodation: Gül Mountain Resort
- Walking for the day: 21 km, 7 h, ↑1000 m ↓700 m
Day 3: The Eternal Flames of Chimaera, Adrasan Bay | 24 km
Transfer to the valley of Ulupinar (35 km / 40 min). Through pine forests, you hike to the “Burning stones” with its natural earth fire, the eternal flames of the Chimaera. Mount Chimaera was the name of this place in ancient Lycia, where methane and other gases emerge from the rock and burn constantly. Some ancient sources considered it to be the origin of the myth of the monster called the Chimera. On a partially built stairway, the trail then goes down to the bay of Çıralı. From Cirali, you go first along the long beach of Cirali and continue further to the ancient city of Olympos, climbing over the Musa mountain to the next bay and the village Adrasan where the walk finishes.
- Accommodation: Papirus Hotel
- Walking for the day: 24 km, 8-9 h, ↑900 m ↓1200 m
Day 4: Karaoz to Adrasan | 23 km
The morning starts with a transfer to the start of the walk (45 mins). You start your walking tour with a marvellous view from the lighthouse Gelidonya onto the Chelidonia Islands (Besadalar). Follow the trail to reach your hotel in Adrasan.
- Accommodation: Papirus Hotel
- Walking for the day: 23 km, 7 h, ↑900 m ↓1150 m
Day 5: Göynük Gorge | 16 km
First, you will get a transfer to Mezarlikdibi village in the mountains of Olympos National Park. Your hike starts above the village at an altitude of 970 m. Your hike will take you through small settlements and pine forests to Göynük mountain village and then further via Göynük canyon to sea level at Göynük. Enjoy the views of Mt. Tahtalı (2370 m) and the sea. Transfer to Antalya.
Day 6: Departure
Return home or individual stay extension.
What to Expect
Accommodation is in hand-picked and regularly monitored hotels and guesthouses offering various levels of comfort. During this tour, you’ll stay in places that make you feel good and safe in lovely villages surrounded by trees and mountains. You stay in small, local, family-run and friendly hotels and pensions with a personal touch. The properties are run by friendly people who make you feel part of the family and the local community. Six of the overnights are in private en-suite rooms, and one is in a village house with shared facilities. We have tried to choose accommodations that offer friendly service, clean and comfortable rooms and local flavour.
Click to view default hotels
Hotels are subject to availability. In case a particular hotel is fully booked for your desired dates we will replace it with a hotel of equal value and quality level. We will give you exact accommodation details upon booking confirmation.
Breakfast is always included. Dinner, a packed lunch and a bottle of mineral water are included on Days 2-4. In Antalya, there are multiple restaurants and taverns where you can sample the incredible local cuisine.
Difficulty & terrain
Suitable for active hikers with a good level of fitness looking for more demanding and challenging hikes. The total walking distance is 84 km, with an average of 16 km per walking day. Total elevation gain is 3450 m, approximately 860 m per walking day (read more about difficulty grades). The terrain is varying from steep rocky footpaths to cobbled paths. Routes are well signposted in most parts. It is strongly suggested to follow only marked trails. We strongly advise you to follow only marked trails and never shorten the path through the unknown and unmarked terrain. We will provide you with detailed road notes and maps, and you can call our 24/7 local assistance phone number anytime. More detailed info on route navigation will be included in your holiday information pack.
When to go
We can organise this walking tour between March and June and September till November. July and August are too hot for making this trip. Weather is best in the autumn. The flexibility of self guided holidays means that there are no fixed dates and you can start your holiday on any date in the season. Winter temperatures are quite mild, with average highs around 15 °C (59 °F), while in summer the maximum temperatures are hot, ranging between 30 and 35 °C (86 and 95 °F). Rainfall is concentrated from mid-October to mid-April, when it can be abundant, and can sometimes be torrential, particularly in the slopes facing west and southwest. In Antalya, about 1,000 mm (40 in) of rain per year fall, but it rarely rains from June to September.
- Detailed pre-departure holiday information pack including GPS-checked and regularly updated route descriptions and road notes; maps with daily routes and optional hikes marked
- Accommodation for 5 nights in private en-suite rooms as listed in the itinerary
- 5 breakfasts
- 4 packed lunches and 3 dinners
- Luggage transport to next hotel
- Transfers to/from the Antalya airport
- 24/7 phone assistance by our local office/representative
- Lunches and dinners on the first and last day
- Travel insurance (required – get a quote online)
- Personal expenses
- Local tourist taxes and entry fees (payable on-site)
- Any items not explicitly listed as included
Options, extras & supplements
- A supplement applies to members of a group who require a single room
- This holiday is available for solo travellers; a supplement will be charged as accommodation and luggage transfer costs are not shared (we never mix and match – solo travellers will be accommodated in single rooms)
- Extra nights in Antalya
We had another great holiday thank you. Lovely area, great walks and nice quirky hotels. Logistically everything worked smoothly. My only criticism is that the walks were tougher than the equivalently graded walks we did last year in Albania. They felt more strenuous than moderate, particularly days 2 and 4.