The Cammino Materano covers 168.3km between Bari and Matera, on an inland idyll of a trek across Roman roads, medieval paths and shepherds’ trails across the Puglia and Basilicata. This seven day, self-guided walking holiday takes you along the whole trail, exploring a hinterland where highlights include Bari’s Basilica di San Nicola, the region’s famous trulli houses, the handsome and historic town of Altamura and, last but not least, the UNESCO town of Matera, with its famous ancient rock churches and stone houses. Stay in a mix of small, locally-owned hotels, with luggage transfers.
- Basilica di San Nicola
- Altopiano delle Murge
- UNESCO town of Matera
- Puglian food and wine
Click to view map
Day 1: Arrival in Bari
Welcome to Bari. Depending on your arrival time, take some time to explore the capital of Puglia, with highlights including Basilica di San Nicola.
Day 2: Bitetto – Cassano delle Murge | 26km
The morning begins with a short train journey to Bitetto. Stroll through the olive groves the area is known for, before continuing toward Cassano delle Murge, passing meadows, farmland and tradtitional trulli buildings along the way.
- Accommodation: B&B Finestre sul borgo or similar in Cassano delle Murge
- Walking for the day: 26km, ↑320m, ↓100m
Day 3: Cassano delle Murge – Santeramo in Colle | 22km
Begin by walking up Altopiano delle Murge, before following the route along the Acquedotto Pugliese. From here, the trail continues past natural caves and ancient farmhouses before coming to a close in Santeramo in Colle.
- Accommodation: B&B Mimmo e Valeria or similar in Santeramo in Colle
- Walking for the day: 22km, ↑370m, ↓230m
Day 4: Santeramo in Colle – Altamura | 27km
Today’s route continues across Altopiano delle Murge, passing Grotta di Sant’Angelo, multiple frescoes and a small Romanesque church. Continue on to Altamura, a town with an array of medieval architecture, and don’t miss a visit to its cathedral.
- Accommodation: B&B La Colomba or similar in Altamura
- Walking for the day: 27km, ↑290m, ↓300m
Day 5: Altamura – Gravina in Puglia | 20km
Today’s walk begins in wide open, rural landscapes typical of inland Puglia. Follow an ancient paved road toward Gravina in Puglia, with historical sites dating back to the Neolithic age.
- Accommodation: B&B Il Borgo or similar in Gravina in Puglia
- Walking for the day: 20km, ↑170m, ↓300m.
Day 6: Lago di San Giuliano – Matera | 16km
The morning begins with a short transfer to Oasi San Giuliano, the largest nature reserve in the province. Stop to enjoy Lago di San Giuliano, before continuing along the Bradano River. The last stretch is uphill and offers views of famous UNESCO town of Matera, before descending towards the town itself, where you spend your final night.
- Accommodation: B&B Alma or similar in Matera
- Walking for the day: 16km, ↑410m, ↓130m.
Day 7: Departure
Departure after breakfast.
What to expect
Accommodation on this tour includes a mix of small, locally-owned hotels, B&Bs and traditional guesthouses. They have been carefully selected based on a variety of criteria including their location, warm hospitality, fine local food or commitment to responsible tourism. All rooms have en-suite or private bathrooms.
Click to view default hotels
- B&B La Corte San Francesco or Hotel Adria (Bari)
- B&B Finestre sul borgo (Cassano)
- B&B Mimmo e Valeria (Santeramo in Colle)
- B&B La Colomba (Altamura)
- B&B Il Borgo (Gravina in Puglia)
- B&B Alma (Matera)
Hotels are subject to availability. In the event of a particular hotel being fully booked for your chosen dates, we will replace it with a hotel of equal value and quality level. We will provide exact accommodation details to you upon booking confirmation.
Breakfast is included every day. Lunch should be pre-ordered from your accommodation or purchased en route. Dinner is available from restaurants in the local area.
Difficulty and terrain
This tour is rated moderate and is suitable for walkers with a good level of fitness. Daily walks range from 16-27km, with significant differences in height, so participants should have a good level of walking experience. The routes mainly follow dirt paths and paved roads (read more about difficulty grades).
When to go
This tour is available to book from the beginning of February until mid-July and from the beginning of September until the end of November. July and August are very hot for walking and the route has little shelter from the sun. The flexibility of self-guided holidays means that there are no fixed dates, and you can start your trip on any date during the season.
Click to view travel options
Our recommended airport for this tour is Bari.
By train or bus
- Metro and Train: From the airport, the metro departs every 20mins. Metro timetables are available at Aeroporti di Puglia and train timetables are available at Trenitalia.
- Bus: Bari is accessible by bus from many locations. For timetables and route information, please visit Marinobus, Flixbus, Busmiccolis or Buscenter.
- Car: If travelling by car, the main highways are the A14 Bologna-Taranto and the A16 Napoli-Canosa.
- Departure: To return to Bari from Matera, you can travel by bus or train – Ferrovie Appulo Lucane.
- 6 nights in en-suite rooms
- 6 breakfasts
- Transfer on day six
- Luggage transfer on all walking days (One piece up to 20kg per person)
- Travel app with maps, route notes and tracks (please note, no paper documents are provided)
- Phone assistance by our local office/representative
- Flights, trains or buses wherever necessary
- Lunches, dinners, drinks and snacks
- Travel insurance (required – get a quote online)
- Personal equipment
- Tourist taxes – payable on the spot
- Entrance fees for attractions and museums
- Any items not explicitly mentioned as included in the programme
Options, extras and supplements
- If you’re travelling in a group, a supplement applies to group members who would like to have a room of their own
- This holiday is available for solo travellers; a supplement will be charged as accommodation and luggage transfer costs are not shared (we never mix and match – solo travellers will be accommodated in single rooms)
- Arrival and departure transfers
- Additional nights