With its numerous cultural sites, and vast designated bike lane networks, Holland is one of the best destinations for a cycling holiday. This highlights tour starts and finishes in Amsterdam, allowing ample opportunity for exploring and sightseeing. We’ve kept cycling distances short, to give you more time at top tourist attractions such as Zaanse Schans and Volendam. All the routes are on quiet bike lanes, suitable for children as well, so the trip is also a good option for an active family vacation.
- Experience Holland at its best: wooden clogs, canals, windmills…
- Short cycle distances, plenty of time for sightseeing
- Starting in the Dutch capital: unparalleled Amsterdam
- An ideal trip for families and less experienced cyclists
Day 1: Arrival Amsterdam*
Your holiday starts in Amsterdam, one of the crown jewels of Europe. With so much to see and do, you couldn’t wish for a more vibrant way to kick off your holiday. If you arrive early or book an extra night before the holiday, make sure to go for a walk to marvel at the townhouses in the 17th-century canal district (listed as a World Heritage Site). In case you have some time and energy left, you can also explore the infamous red-light district which attracts millions of curious tourists every year; or enjoy the street performers on friendly Rembrandtplein.
Accommodation: Westcord Art Hotel or similar
Day 2: Amsterdam – Haarlem | 30 km
Get an early start and beat the queues at the Van Gogh or Anne Frank museum. At the end of the morning, say “tot ziens!” to amazing Amsterdam and get on your bike to start your cycling trip through Kennemerland where a great variety of lovely countryside awaits: vast polders, tidy gardens, country estates, woods and beautiful peatland. You will spend the night in the elegant city of Haarlem. The attractive city centre offers a wealth of possibilities for shopping, delving into art and culture, or relaxing in cafes and restaurants. In April and early May, you have the option of cycling a longer route of approximately 60 km where you can see the tulip fields as well.
Accommodation: Hotel Lion d’Or **** or similar
Cycling for the day: 30 km
Day 3: Haarlem – Zaandam | 38 km
In the morning, continue exploring the streets and squares of historical Haarlem. If you are into museums, we would highly recommend Frans Hals Museum of paintings from the Golden Age. If your interests lie in the field of science, don’t miss exquisite Teijlers museum which has been drawing curious minds since 1784.
At midday, it’s time to jump back on your bikes to make your way along the banks of the River Spaarne to the pretty village of Spaarndam and the IJdijk dike. Pedalling on, you will reach the Zaan region, named after the River Zaan and justly famed for the adorable wooden houses, painted green, with white lace curtains in the windows. This whole place is picture-perfect, and there are lots of things to do and see. You can visit windmills, workshops, museums, find out how to make wooden shoes or Dutch cheese…as it was done back the old days.
Accommodation: Best Western Zaan Inn*** or similar
Cycling for the day: 38 km
Day 4: Zaandam – Volendam | 34 km
You’ll shortly reach the recreational park Het Twiske, a favourite get-away for the people of Amsterdam. On a hot day, they’ll flee the city and cycle to the lake here for a dip. A varied landscape of wood, meadows and lakes will accompany you to Monnickendam. Today’s cycling trip concludes in festive fishing port Volendam. Browse the home-decor and gift shops or have a seat at a pavement cafe on the dike overlooking the water.
Accommodation: Art Hotel Spaander or similar
Cycling for the day: 34 km
Day 5: Volendam – Amsterdam* | 36 km
Near the old quarter of quaint red-brick houses, stands Volendams Museum where you can find out all about this close-knit community’s history, culture and folklore. Inspiring period rooms, traditional costumes and jewellery are part of the permanent exposition. Via the isle of Marken, you will set off back to Amsterdam, arriving in plenty of time for more sightseeing.
Accommodation: Westcord Art Hotel or similar
Cycling for the day: 36 km
Day 6: Departure
Our services end after breakfast, unless you have booked an extension or extra nights.
*Please note that the following surcharges are applicable depending on the timing of your holiday:
Stay in Amsterdam on Saturday: 20 GBP per person
Stay in Amsterdam in the periods listed below: 60 GBP per person
2nd – 5th April
16th – 17th April
13th -15th May
22nd – 24th May
15th – 17th Oct
What to Expect
Comfortable 3-star and 4-star hotels, all nights in twin/double rooms with en-suite facilities. All places have been carefully hand-picked by us, and their quality is regularly monitored. We have tried to choose accommodations that offer friendly service, clean and comfortable rooms and local flavour.
*Please note that hotels are subject to availability. In case a particular hotel is fully booked for your desired dates, we will replace it with a hotel of equal value and quality level. We will provide exact accommodation details to you upon booking confirmation.
Breakfast is included each day. For lunch and dinner, you can enjoy the cosy restaurants along the way. Inclusion of dinners is possible upon request.
We advise coming by plane or train. Our recommended arrival/departure airport is the one in Amsterdam. In case you prefer arriving by car, parking in Amsterdam is € 15 per day.
The train from Schiphol to Amsterdam Sloterdijk departs 6 times per hour. Travel time is about 10 minutes. A single ticket costs approx €4,- per person excl. bicycle.
All hotel to hotel luggage transfers on cycling days are included (maximum one piece of 20 kg per person).
The daily distances are relatively short, approx. 30 km per day, and the cycling is mostly on designated cycle paths without any traffic, so the trip is suitable for both beginner and intermediate cyclists. Renting an E-bike is also possible, which will make the cycling effortless.
If you don’t bring your own, you can rent a bicycle from us, choosing between the following options:
- Standard touring bike with 24-speed gear
- Lightweight premium bike with 27-gears and disc brakes (Koga Grand Tourer or similar)
- E-bike, with a small electric engine and battery, which can be charged at the hotels
All bikes for this tour come with a defender lock with plug-in chain (cable lock that is attached to the regular lock)
- The bicycle(s) may only be used for its/their intended purpose and only by the cyclists listed in the booking
- The bike(s) must be returned to us in the same (clean) state in which you received it/them
- You must take excellent care of the bicycle(s) as if it/they were your own. You must take every precaution against damage, loss or theft.
Damage, Loss and Theft
The renter will be held responsible for damages to or loss of the bicycle(s) or parts of it, as well as bicycle keys and chains and locks, for such an amount as is determined by us according to standard market prices. You must understand that you are not insured for damage to the bicycle(s) or for any damages to third parties.
It is possible to ensure your bike against theft. The cost is 3 GBP per day for a standard hybrid bicycle and 6 GBP per day for an electric or premium bike. Bookable upon request.
Liability in the Event of Theft
- If you did not purchase Bicycle Theft Insurance from us before the start of the holiday, you will be held fully accountable for the sum determined by us according to standard prices.
- If you did purchase Bicycle Theft Insurance from us, but you failed to lock the wheel lock and failed to produce the original wheel lock key and failed to produce an official theft report drawn up by the police, you will still be held fully accountable for the sum determined by us according to standard prices.
Upon arrival, you will receive detailed travel information with route maps or overview maps, route description, tourist attractions and important telephone numbers.
When to Go
This trip is available from April until September, departing once a week. Please check our booking form for the exact availability dates.
- 5 overnights in 3 and 4-star hotels as listed in the itinerary
- 5 breakfasts
- Luggage transfers between hotels (max. 1 piece of 20 kg per person)
- Detailed travel information including route maps, route description, tourist attractions info and important telephone numbers
- 24/7 phone support by our local office/representative
Options and Extras
- Single-room supplement (this applies to members of a group who require single-room accommodation)
- Half-board meal plan (4 dinners, not included in Haarlem)
- Bike / E-bike rental
- Bike theft insurance
- Helmet rental
- Flights and connecting land transfers to first / from last accommodation
- Lunches, dinners, drinks & snacks
- Travel insurance
- Personal expenses such as phone calls, extra transfers, tips, etc.
- Any items not specifically mentioned as ‘included’ in the programme
- Local tourist taxes
- One extra night in Amsterdam before or after the cycling holiday