This 8-day self guided tour connects some of the most beautiful valleys in the canton of Valais. Your adventure starts in Simplon and Bistine Passes and ends in the valley of Val d’Anniviers. Enjoy the view of the Mischabel mountains with the 4545 metre Dom, the grand vistas of glaciers and the solitude of mountains off the beaten track.
Click to view map
*This map is only for general reference; detailed route maps will be provided in your pre-departure package.
Day 1: Arrive Simplon Pass
Arrive at your accommodation in Simplon. Simplon Pass links Brig (Valais) with Domodossola in Northern Italy. It was used as early as the Stone Age, though until the 17th century it was mainly traversed by smugglers and mercenaries as the narrow Gondo Gorge was considered impassable, even by Roman Era architects.
- Accommodation: Pension Hospiz in Simplon
Day 2: Simplon Pass – Visperterminen | 16 km
From the Simplon Pass, the path immediately begins to go uphill on the climb up the Bistine Pass. Ahead lies the Nanx Valley, though the trail does not go down it but instead traverses up the valley. At the top of the valley, at the foot of the Fletschhorn mountain with the Gamsa Glacier, you hike back down the valley on the other side. Enjoy the view of Mischabel mountains with Switzerland’s highest peak, the 4.545 metres Dom.
- Walking for the day: approx. 16 km / 5 h ↑770 m ↓560 m
- Accommodation: Hotel Rothorn*** in Visperterminen
Day 3: Visperterminen – Saas-Fee | 21 km
In the morning, the left side of the valley is still in the shade. On a hot summer’s day’s hiking, this is a welcome start. Today’s hike will offer some wonderful views in upper Valais with little height difference along mountain slopes through forests and alpine pastures. On your way, enjoy the un-browned old storage huts, barns and stables. The descent to Saas-Grund is rather steep and tricky. As the stage comes to an end, there is one more challenge with a 250 m ascent to Saas-Fee. Here, there is a great choice of restaurants and bars offering various refreshments and delicious food.
- Walking for the day: approx. 21 km / 6.5 h ↑755 m ↓1400 m
- Accommodation: Hotel Alphubel*** in Saas-Fee
Day 4: Saas-Fee – Grächen | 20 km
The trail from Saas-Fee to Grächen is spectacular, extremely exposed in parts with steel cables providing secure holds on precarious sections and demands a certain head for heights. Begin by hiking through larch, stone pine and spruce trees. The surroundings become rockier and rockier, and the drop next to the path is steep down the mountain. Walk along the Saas Valley at 2,000 m above sea level. Dizzying views deep into the Saastal and enthralling views to the Fletschhorn, Lagginhorn and Weissmies. Take the cable car from the Hannigalp towards Grächen.
- Walking for the day: approx. 20 km / 7 h ↑1220 m ↓1370 m
- Accommodation: Hotel Eden*** in Grächen
Day 5: Grächen – Gruben | 13 km
By bus to St. Niklaus and with the cable car up to the hamlet of Jungu, perched like an eagle’s nest above Switzerland’s deepest valley. After Jungu, the trail continues uphill through sparse forest. After a while, the forest ends, and hikers pass over the mountainside of Troära and a little downhill over a field of scree. This standpoint affords some truly glorious views of the 4,000 m peaks around the Dom. Another steep climb follows to the Augstbord Pass, at 2,894 m. The path now goes uphill and down dale, crossing cow pastures and going through forests on the 1,000 m descent down to Gruben in the Turtmann Valley.
- Walking for the day: approx. 13 km / 5.5 h ↑1025 m ↓1200 m
- Accommodation: Hotel Schwarzhorn* in Gruben
Day 6: Gruben – Saint-Luc | 10 km
Today, your luggage will be transferred directly to Zinal, so make sure to have all needed in your day pack. Walk along the Meidsee lake, not far to the Meidpass, which also takes you over the linguistic border. German is spoken in the Turtmann Valley, while Val de Zinal is French-speaking. During the ascent, you will be able to spot the summits of the Bishorn and Weisshorn mountains, two proud 4000 m peaks in the Valais. From the pass, descend onto a marshy plateau with several small lakes. After Combavert, the climb is amidst blueberries, juniper and a few larch trees until you reach the historic Hotel Weisshorn.
- Walking for the day: approx. 10 km / 4.5 h ↑1180 m ↓635 m
- Accommodation: Hotel Weisshorn* near Saint-Luc
Day 7: Saint-Luc – Zinal | 12 km
After breakfast, descend into the Val d’Anniviers along the trail of Pointes de Nava. Slowly dropping below the tree line, a very steep descent begins around 2 km before the village of Zinal, a grand base for both summer and winter sports.
- Walking for the day: approx. 12 km / 3.5 h ↑245 m ↓915 m
- Accommodation: Hotel Europe*** in Zinal
Day 8: Departure
Return home or individual stay extension.
What to Expect
Accommodation is in a mix of nice hotels, guesthouses and pensions in double or twin private en-suite rooms, except at the Pension Hospiz in Simplon Pass and Hotel Weisshorn, where no en-suite rooms are available. We have carefully hand-picked all places and regularly monitor their quality. We have tried to choose accommodations that offer friendly service, clean and comfortable rooms and local flavour.
Click to view our default hotels for this trip
- Pension Hospiz in Simplon Pass
- Hotel Rothorn*** in Visperterminen
- Hotel Alphubel*** in Saas-Fee
- Hotel Eden*** in Grächen
- Hotel Schwarzhorn* in Gruben
- Hotel Weisshorn*
- Hotel Europe*** in Zinal
*Hotels are subject to availability. In case a hotel is fully booked for your desired dates, we will replace it with a property of equal standard. We will provide full accommodation details upon booking confirmation.
All breakfast and one dinner (in Hotel Weisshorn) included. Picnic lunches are optional at an extra charge and can be ordered locally. You can have dinner at your hotel or the nearby restaurants.
Difficulty & terrain
Some difficult walks, especially the one from Saas-Fee to Grächen. Very good physical condition is required. Please check the kilometres and the altitude change in the day-to-day itinerary above (read more about difficulty grades). We strongly advise you to follow only marked trails and never try to shorten the path through the unknown and unmarked terrain. We will provide you with detailed road notes and maps, and you can call our 24/7 local assistance phone number anytime. More detailed info on route navigation will be included in your holiday information pack.
When to go
This trip is available from end-June till end-September. The flexibility of self guided holidays means that there are no fixed dates, and you can start your trip on any date during the season.
The climate is moderately continental, with cold winters and warm summers. In autumn and spring, and sometimes even in winter, the foehn can blow from the south In summer, the temperatures are generally pleasant and lend themselves to outdoor activities. However, sometimes there can be rains and thunderstorms.
Click to view travel options
- Take the train from Zürich Airport to Brig and then the bus or taxi to Simplon (approx. 4h). For more information and timetables, please visit Swiss Railways (SBB/CFF/FFS) or use the Omio planner above
- By car: Parking spaces in Brig (CHF 8 per day). Return journey by bus and train from Zinal via Vissoie and Sierre to Brig. Duration approx. 2h 30m.
- 7 overnights with breakfast as detailed in the itinerary
- Dinner included in Hotel Weisshorn
- Luggage transfer on all walking days, except on Day 6 – in the morning your luggage will be transferred directly to Zinal where it will join you on next day (one piece of luggage per person, max 20 kg)
- Detailed route notes (1 x per room) & GPS tracks
- 24/7 phone assistance by our local representative
- Airfare and connecting land transfers
- Lunches, dinners (except at Hotel Weisshorn), drinks and snacks
- Travel insurance (required – get a quote online)
- Personal expenses
- Local tourist taxes and entry fees (payable on-site)
- Any items not specifically mentioned as included in the programme
Options, extras & supplements
- Extra charges may be applicable for last-minute bookings for this specific tour!
- Where individual members of a group require a single room, a supplement is applicable
- This holiday is available for solo travellers; a supplement will be charged as accommodation and luggage transfer costs are not shared (we never mix and match – solo travellers will be accommodated in single rooms)
- Extra nights in Simplon Pass and Zinal are available upon request