A six-day, self-guided and delightful family holiday along the Altmühltal Cycle Path, in Bavaria, cycling through the Franconian Lake District and the Altmühl Valley. A very chilled-out itinerary, giving you plenty of time to go lake swimming, picnicking and boating, as the trip includes a boat trip across Brombachsee. Soak in the culture at Pappenheim Castle and healthy minerals at Treuchtlingen thermal baths, as well as plenty of flat, fun cycling on the riverfront. Stay in 3-star, traditional Bavarian hotels and guesthouses, all family-friendly and with a commitment to sustainable tourism.
- Altmühltal Nature Park
- Franconian Lake District
- Pappenheim Castle
- Boat trip, thermal baths and castle entrance included
Click to view map
Day 1: Arrival Gunzenhausen
Your trip begins right in the middle of the Franconian Lake District. This is where the Roman border Limes used to be and you can see traces of the Roman Empire in the town. Gunzenhausen is the only Bavarian town that is right on the Limes.
Day 2: Brombachsee | 35km
As well as enjoying the cycle path to Brombachsee, there are many playgrounds along the way. But don’t stay too long, as the lakeshore has a lot of fun activities including beach volleyball, swimming, cafes and bars. Today’s adventure includes a boat trip across the lake on the largest European trimaran passenger ship, MS Brombachsee.
Day 3: Gunzenhausen – Weißenburg | 40km
Cycle along quiet paths through woods, fields and meadows. From Pleinfeld to the Swabian Rezat towards Weissenburg, with its historic old town.
Day 4: Weißenburg – Pappenheim – Wettelsheim/Treuchtlingen | 30km
Cycle along the Swabian Rezat river to the Altmühl, which you then follow to Pappenheim Castle. From the castle, there are amazing views over the Altmühl Valley. In the evening, relax at Altmühl thermal baths.
Day 5: Wettelsheim/Treuchtlingen – Gunzenhausen – Altmühlsee | 40km
The last section is a straightforward cycle along a level path. Once you have arrived in Gunzenhausen, head off on your cycling circuit of Altmühlsee, with beaches for swimming and sunbathing.
Day 6: Departure
After breakfast, return home or extend your stay.
What to expect
Accommodation on this tour includes a mix of 3-star hotels and guesthouses. They have been carefully selected based on a variety of criteria including their location, warm hospitality, fine local food or commitment to responsible tourism. All rooms have en-suite or private bathrooms.
Click to view default hotels
- Hotel Adlerbräu (Gunzenhausen)
- Hotel Blauer Wolf (Gunzenhausen)
- Flair Hotel am Ellinger Tor (Weißenburg)
- Schwarzer Bär (Weißenburg)
- Goldene Rose (Weißenburg)
- Gasthof zum Goldenen Lamm (Wettelsheim)
- Gasthof zur Sonne (Wettelsheim)
- Stadthof (Treuchtlingen)
Hotels are subject to availability. In the event of a particular hotel being fully booked for your chosen dates, we will replace it with a hotel of equal value and quality level. We will provide exact accommodation details to you upon booking confirmation.
Breakfast is included on all days. Packed lunches are available from your accommodation (order the night before) or you can stop on the way; there are plenty of beer gardens and small shops to satisfy your thirst and appetite. Dinners are available at all overnight accommodations or close by.
Difficulty and terrain
Mostly level cycle paths and a few paved forest tracks and meadow lanes with cycling between 30-40km. Suitable for cyclists of all ages (read more about difficulty grades).
We strongly advise you to follow only marked trails and never shorten the path through the unknown and unmarked terrain. We will provide you with detailed road notes and maps, and you can call our 24/7 local assistance phone number anytime.
When to go
This trip is available from end March to end October. The flexibility of self-guided holidays means that there are no fixed dates, and you can start your trip on any date in the season.
The climate in the region is continental, cold and temperate. Depending on location and altitude, temperatures vary, but, in the June-September period, the daily averages are 20-25C. Spring and autumn are cooler with occasional rain.
Click to view travel options and route planner
- The average journey time by train between Munich Airport Terminal and Gunzenhausen is 3h 12mins, with around 40 trains per day. The journey time may be longer on weekends and holidays, so for further information, visit the website of Deutsche Bahn or use the Omio planner above. You can also travel the whole journey by train if coming from within Europe.
- The best way to get from Nuremberg Airport to Gunzenhausen is by train via Ansbach. The journey takes less than 2h.
- Parking in Gunzenhausen: There are public parking spaces available near the hotel, free of charge. No reservation in advance possible.
- 5 overnight stays (en-suite) with breakfast in typical Bavarian inns/hotels/guesthouses (3-star-star category)
- Luggage transfer on all cycling days (one piece of luggage per person, 20kg)
- Boat trip Enderndorf – Ramsberg incl. bike
- Entrance Pappenheim castle
- Entrance to Treuchtlingen thermal baths
- Detailed digital holiday information pack including regularly updated route descriptions, road notes and maps (1 x per room)
- 24/7 phone assistance by our local office/representative
- Airfare and connecting land transfers
- Lunches, dinners, drinks and snacks
- Travel insurance (required – get a quote online)
- Personal expenses
- Local tourist taxes and entry fees (payable on-site)
- Any items not specifically mentioned as included in the programme
Options, extras and supplements
- If you’re travelling in a group, a supplement applies to group members who would like to have a room of their own.
- This holiday is NOT available for solo travellers
- Extra nights available in Gunzenhausen, Weißenburg and Wettelsheim/Treuchtlingen
- Bike, e-bike, children’s bike, child seat and trailer rentals
We offer rental of standard trekking bikes, perfectly suitable for the routes of the trip, e-bikes, for those who would like to take it easy, and children’s bikes. All rental bikes are equipped with an air pump, bike lock, breakdown kit (one per booking), comfortable saddle, hub dynamo, luggage rack, odometer, waterproof pannier and waterproof handle bag with map holder. Child seat (up to 22kg) is free of charge when booked in addition to a rental bike.