This short walking break (ideal if you have only a weekend to spend in the Cotswolds) will take you in the area around Moreton-in-Marsh and will let you enjoy some of the best walkings the Cotswolds have to offer.
We arrange comfortable accommodation in en-suite rooms at hotels and accredited guesthouses on this itinerary, and we transfer your luggage between each of the accommodations.
Full list of our Cotswolds itineraries is available here.
- The beautiful Moreton in Marsh, located at the head of the beautiful Evenlode Valley
- Chipping Campden
- National Trust Snowshill Manor and Garden
- Broadway Tower
Click to view map
Day 1: Arrive Moreton-in-Marsh
Moreton-in-Marsh is one of the most important market towns in the Cotswolds, which still holds a weekly market on the wide main street. The River Evenlode rises near Batsford, runs around the edge of Moreton and meanders towards Oxford. Morton is located on the Fosse Way, an old Roman Road, and many stretches of the road are still used by traffic today. Spend some time exploring the village.
- Accommodation: Redesdale Arms Hotel or similar
Day 2: Moreton – Broadway | 22km
Today’s route takes you to Broadway via some beautiful countryside and villages. You’ll pass through Snowshill, (a chance to visit Snowshill Manor), Longborough and some classic Cotswolds countryside to finally reach Broadway with its pristine main street and some of the finest Cotswold architecture in the region.
- Walking for the day: 22km, 5h
- Accommodation: Hadley House or similar
Day 3: Broadway – Moreton (via a different route) | 17km
Walk Broadway back to Moreton-in-Marsh using a different route to the previous day. You walk uphill to Broadway Tower, one of the significant Cotswold landmarks with superb views on the way to Chipping Campden. In Chipping Campden admire the majestic wool church; its silversmith with links to the Arts & Crafts Movement; and its gorgeous high street. Then on to Blockley and a gradual descent towards Moreton in Marsh passing Batsford Arboretum and Falconry beforehand, definitely worth a visit. Overnight Moreton.
- Walking for the day: 17km, 4-5h
- Accommodation: Redesdale Arms Hotel or similar
Day 4: Departure
Departure or extra nights upon request.
What to expect
Accommodations on this tour include two charming guesthouses. They have been carefully selected for their location, atmosphere, cuisine and/or unique services. All rooms have en-suite or private bathrooms.
Click to view default hotels
*Hotels are subject to availability. In case a particular hotel is fully booked for your desired dates, we will replace it with a hotel of equal or higher value and quality level. We will provide exact accommodation details to you upon booking confirmation.
Breakfast is included on all days. When no restaurant location is available on the route, lunches and snacks should either be bought from local shops, or packed lunch can be pre-ordered from your hotel the night before. You can have dinner at the guesthouse you are staying at or at the village pubs and restaurants.
Difficulty and terrain
This itinerary allows you to walk at a leisurely pace, giving you time to explore this fascinating area of outstanding natural beauty. You will cover a variety of terrain, but these are gentle wolds and not mountainous areas (read more about difficulty grades). The trail follows well-maintained footpaths, bridleways, open fields and some minor roads. The route is not specially designated and waymarked, so check carefully against your guidebook. Generally, the route is easy to navigate, and we will provide you with detailed road notes and maps, and you can call our 24/7 local assistance phone number anytime. More detailed info on route navigation will be included in your holiday information pack.
When to go
This trip is available from mid-April until mid-October.
The flexibility of self guided holidays means that there are no fixed dates, and you can start your journey on any date during the season. If you are a seasoned and well-equipped hiker, we can eventually book you on off-season dates.
Note that accommodation is difficult to obtain on UK national holidays unless booked well in advance (and may require an alteration to the programme).
Up-to-date travel advice on the United Kingdom is available here (for Canadian citizens) and here (for US citizens).
Click to view travel options
Our recommended airport for this tour is Birmingham (BHX). Alternatives are London Heathrow (LHR) or Gatwick (LGW).
By train or bus
- Moreton-in-Marsh station (MIM) is located on the Cotswold Line between London, Oxford and Hereford. There is a railway station at Birmingham Airport with frequent services to Moreton-in-Marsh via Oxford.
- From London Paddington station, direct trains run to Moreton-in-Marsh. As this is a circular route, you will be walking back to your starting location to depart by the same means you arrived.
- 3 nights in a twin or double rooms with an en-suite or private bathroom (3-star hotels, B&Bs and guesthouses)
- 3 breakfasts
- Detailed journey documentation and practical information: personalised trip notes and maps (emailed before departure and a hard copy provided at the first hotel; one set per booking)
- Luggage transfers from hotel to hotel – up to 15kg per person
- 24/7 phone assistance by our local office/representative in Cheltenham
- Airfare and connecting land transfers
- Lunches, dinners, drinks and snacks
- Travel insurance (required – get a quote online)
- Personal expenses
- Local tourist taxes and entry fees (payable on-site)
- Any items not explicitly listed as included
Options, extras and supplements
- A supplement applies to members of a group who require a single room – upon request only
- This holiday is available for solo travellers; a supplement will be charged as accommodation and luggage transfer costs are not shared (we never mix and match – solo travellers will be accommodated in single rooms) – upon request only
- Extra nights along the trail are bookable upon request