Enjoy an exciting cycling holiday around the Øresund Strait, exploring the coasts of Sweden and Denmark. The tour will take you through many small, charming seaside villages, as well as the vibrant cities of Copenhagen and Malmö. Тhe cycling sections are very accessible, going mostly on designated cycle paths, and flat, minor roads with limited traffic.
Starting from Malmö, a train will get you through the iconic Øresund Bridge, and then take you to Copenhagen, where you will be able to enjoy an evening in the Danish capital. You will then start biking on the Danish golden coast up to Helsingør, after which you will take a ferry back to Sweden, and bike across the Swedish coast up to the fantastic Kullaberg peninsula, known for its sandy beaches and pristine nature. After Ängelholm, you turn south, passing the medieval city of Helsingborg and continuing to the marvellous Island Ven where you stay for overnight. The last section of the tour will take you back to Malmö.
Click to view map
Day 1: Arrival in Malmö
Check-in at your centrally located hotel. Depending on your arrival time, you will have the rest of the day for some sightseeing in this medieval town by the ocean. Malmö is well-known for the diversity of its food culture, which includes everything from Michelin- rated restaurants to excellent street food. At Ribersborg Beach, popularly known as “Ribban”, there is a wonderful boardwalk and a venerable old bathhouse. From here, it’s not far to the most well-known landmark of the city, the 54-storey Turning Torso. There is plenty to see and do in Malmö, so you can consider adding an additional day there before or after the tour.
- Accommodation: Elite Plaza Hotel or similar
Day 2: Malmö/Copenhagen – Helsingør | 56km
We suggest an early start today since you have a long day ahead. Take the bike onboard the train through Øresund bridge to Copenhagen (not included, 40min, c. EUR 12 pp). Start with a pleasant city tour and pass the cosy harbour Nyhavn (you can also book a one-hour guided canal boat tour that starts and ends in Nyhavn). Continue cycling out to Langelinje and visit The Little Mermaid. After this, you’ll leave Copenhagen, passing Hellerup and Tuborg Harbour.
Once you’ve left the vibrant Copenhagen, you’ll pedal along the coast and soon reach Klampenborg, where we strongly recommend leaving the bike path and biking through the fantastic Deer Park ”Jaegersborg Dyrehave”. You’ll pedal through peaceful gravel roads among oak trees, with a high chance of spotting a deer. Continue along the beautiful coast path and pass by long beaches and charming villages such as Rungsted and Humlebaek. You can visit the Karin Blixen museum in Rungstedlund and/ or the famous Louisiana Museum in Humlebaek. Continue to Helsingør and check-in at your hotel for the night.
- Cycling for the day: 56km
- Accommodation: Hotel Hamlet or similar
Day 3: Helsingør – Helsingborg – Arild | 41km
After breakfast, you take the ferry (20min) to Helsingborg in Sweden. You’ll pedal north, passing Sofiero Castle and stunning gardens. The route continues up towards Höganäs and out to the gorgeous, rocky landscape of Kullahalvön peninsula. We suggest visiting the charming coastal village of Mölle. Have your lunch or picnic in Mölle or park your bikes and walk a couple of kilometres along with the fantastic coastal trail out to Ransvik for lunch and back. After this, you’ll continue a few kilometres in the countryside to the lovely Arild where you’ll spend the night. Accommodation in Arild area (or Mölle if Arild is fully booked).
- Cycling for the day: 41km
- Accommodation: Arilds Vingård or similar
Day 4: Arild – Ängelholm | 36km
Today we suggest that you bike through the little picturesque harbour of Arild, and then ascent on gravel paths into Kullaberg nature reserve. The daily distance is not big, but you will have some elevation to climb. Still, nature is stunning, so it is well worth the effort. In case you would add a small adventure to the day, park the bike and go for a hike to the bizarre wooden sculpture, Nimis . After that, you will bike for a few kilometres the same way back to Arild and then continue along the coast to Ängelholm, where you stay for overnight.
- Cycling for the day: 36km (29km if you skip the detour to Nimis)
- Accommodation: Best Western Plus Hus 57 or similar
Day 5: Ängelholm – Helsingborg | 35km
Today’s ride is quite short and flat, so an easy day on the saddle, and you can make sure to enjoy the beautiful medieval town of Helsingborg in the afternoon. You will cycle inland, passing by farming fields and tiny villages, such as Kattarp and Hittarp. You’ll ride both on cycle paths and small, nice country roads towards Helsingborg. A few kilometres before the city, you’ll reach Pålsjö Forest Nature Reserve. We suggest that you park the bikes and take your time strolling through the park and enjoy a nice waffle at the waffle café. After Pålsjö forest, you’ll reach the sea again and bike a few kilometres into Helsingborg. If the weather is good, the boardwalk before Helsingborg is very nice to bike or walk at a slow pace and stop for a swim in the ocean. Helsingborg is a place with something for everyone, from nature experiences and history to the excitement of a modern city.
- Cycling for the day: 35km
- Accommodation: Elite Hotell Mollberg or similar
Day 6: Helsingborg – Landskrona – Ven | 25km/37km
It’s only 25km from Helsingborg to Landskrona, but you’ll get to experience a lot during this section before you take the ferry to the island of Ven, where you can add some more cycling as well. You’ll soon reach the little charming village and harbour Råå, then bike along the coast before you bike the ”Glumslöv Hills”, an enchanting hilly plateau that was formed by glaciers. It includes the Hilleshögs dalar (valleys) nature preserve, which is definitely worth visiting. It is a bit uphill, but not that hard, and you get great views before an easy descent down to Borstahusen, an idyllic fishing village founded in the 1770s. From Borstahusen, you have a few kilometres to the town of Landskrona, which offers beautiful architecture and a wide range of cultural sights. At the centre of town is Citadellet, one of the best-preserved 16th-century fortresses. The ferry (30min) will take you to the marvellous little Island Ven, where you can add an additional 12 km around the coast. You will overnight either at a hotel in Landskrona or in a guesthouse on Island Ven. Ven can be fully booked on weekends and during the month of July.
- Cycling for the day: 25km + optional 12km extension on Ven
- Accommodation: Turistgården – House of Ven or similar
Day 7: Ven – Landskrona – Malmö | 44km/57km
You’ll continue south along the coast and reach the little village of Barsebäckshamn, popular amongst boating enthusiasts and landlubbers alike, and is well worth a visit to sit and enjoy the harbour inn for a while.
There are plenty of good bathing locations on the way to Malmö. Stop at Lomma Beach or Långa bryggan in Bjärred, which extends 600 metres out into the sea. Here you can enjoy a delicious meal and take a swim. Just north of Malmö, you’ll find Spillepengen, a green area that contrasts with the city behind it. Its shallow sea waters are an important place for gathering flocks of birds to rest on their journey or spend the winter. You are now back in Malmö, where you’ll spend the night.
- Cycling for the day: 57km (It is possible to shorten the cycling distance to 44km by taking the train from Lomma to Malmö.)
- Accommodation: Elite Plaza Hotel or similar
Day 8: Departure
Individual departure or an extension upon request.
What to expect
Accommodation is in nice 3* and 4* hotels, and on the Island Ven you’ll stay at a B&B or Inn (all in en-suite double/twin rooms). We have carefully hand-picked all places and regularly monitor their quality. We have tried to choose accommodations that offer friendly service, clean and comfortable rooms and local flavour.
Click to view our default hotels for this trip
- Elite Plaza Hotel **** (Malmö)
- Hotel Hamlet ***(Helsingör)
- Arilds Vingård* (Arild)
- Best Western Plus Hus 57 *** (Ängelholm)
- Elite Hotell Mollberg**** (Helsingborg)
- Turistgården – House of Ven *** (Ven)
Hotels are subject to availability. In case a hotel is fully booked for your desired dates, we will replace it with a property of equal standard. We will provide full accommodation details upon booking confirmation.
Accommodation is on a bed & breakfast basis. When no restaurant location is available en route lunches and snacks should either be bought from local shops or you can pre-order a packed lunch at your hotel. Dinner is available either from the restaurant in your accommodation or from the restaurants in the town where you stay for overnight.
Difficulty and terrain
We rate the difficulty of the tour as easy to moderate, with daily distances ranging between 25 and 60km, mostly on flat designated cycling lanes, and country roads with less traffic (read more about difficulty grades). The itinerary is also suitable for a family vacation, and you can rent an E-bike making the trip doable for everybody.
When to go
This trip is available with arrival only on Saturdays between 22 April and 23 September. The region enjoys a mostly temperate climate despite its northern latitude. You can expect average temperatures of approx 21C during the summer months.
Click to view travel options and route planner
- Copenhagen: You can fly to Copenhagen and catch a train to Malmö. Trains between the airport and Malmö run regularly and take 25 – 40min, and cost about 20 EUR.
- Malmö: The Malmö Airport has direct flights to/from Stockholm, and is located about 20min by car from Malmö. Transfer to Malmö possible by airport bus, taxi or bicycle.
- Malmö: Ferries depart from Rostock in Germany to Trelleborg, or from Sassnitz to Trelleborg. From here you can take the train, or continue with your car to Malmö. Puttgarden – Rödby is also an option.
- The Öresund train runs from Helsingör in Denmark all around Öresund via Copenhagen, Malmö, Helsingborg and Ängelholm. You can hop off at any convenient station. You can bring your bike with you on Öresundstågen and Pågatågen trains, if space is available.
- 7 overnights with breakfast as detailed in the itinerary
- Luggage transfer on all cycling days (1 piece up to 20kg per person)
- Tour map and detailed information in English (1 per room)
- Ferry ticket for Helsingör – Helsingborg
- Ferry ticket for Landskrona – Ven – Landskrona
- GPS tracks
- 24/7 phone assistance by our local office/representative
- Airfare and connecting land transfers
- Bike rental
- Train tickets
- Lunches, dinners, drinks and snacks
- Travel insurance (required – get a quote online)
- Personal expenses
- Local tourist taxes and entry fees (payable on-site)
- Any items not specifically mentioned as included in the programme
Options, extras and supplements
- Single room supplement for members of a group
- This tour is NOT arranged for solo travellers
- Extra nights in Malmö, before or after the tour
- 24-gear touring bike equipped with bag, repair-kit and lock
- E-bike equipped with bag, repair-kit and lock
- 22-gear gravel bike equipped with bag, repair-kit and lock
- Children bikes/child transporters are also available on request.