This tour will reveal you the highlights of the Danube taking you on a bike and boat trip from the “Bavarian Venice“ directly into the heart of the famous and glamorous former Austro-Hungarian Empire. You will visit three of Europe’s most charming capitals: Vienna, Bratislava and Budapest. The bike tour leads you to the romantic „Great Loop“ (Schlögener Donauschlinge), the picturesque Danube Bend with Hungary’s largest cathedral and the legendary Wachau valley, part of the UNESCO World Heritage with its small villages, beautiful palaces and castles.
- Passau at the intersection of three rivers
- The “Great Loop” Schlögener Donauschlinge
- UNESCO World Cultural Heritage site Wachau
- Hungarian Danube Bend
- The cities of Vienna, Bratislava and Budapest
Click to view map
Day 1: Passau
Boarding time at 4.30 p.m. Located at Danube, Inn and Ilz’s confluence, Passau has numerous interesting sites to visit. Use your free time and stroll through the cobblestoned Old Town centre, listen to the bells of Passau’s Gothic Town Hall or have a look at the world’s largest Catholic Church organ in the Passau Cathedral. Departing at 6 p.m.
Day 2: Great Loop / Engelhartszell – Aschach | 42 km
Your first cycling tour begins with a ride through the classic scenery of the ‘Great Loop’ Donauschlinge – one of the most beautiful sections of the Danube. Along the way, you will encounter tiny villages and cosy cider taverns. In Austria’s only Trappist monastery at Engelhartszell, you can taste their delicious liquors and cheese. The famous ‘Schlogener View’ provides a wonderful panorama of the surrounding Austrian countryside. The boat welcomes all cyclists back on board in the charming market town of Aschach.
- Cycling for the day: approx. 42 km
Day 3: Devin – Bratislava | 43 km
You pedal along the former ‘Iron Curtain’, cross the green line and reach the imposing Imperial Schlosshof Palace with its beautifully terraced gardens. Follow the bike path through Austria’s ‘vegetable garden’ to the coronation town Bratislava and the slopes of the Little Carpathians and discover the hidden alleyways and sights of Bratislava on an optional city tour.
- Cycling for the day: approx. 43 km
Day 4: Budapest / Excursion to Szentendre | 54 km
The entrance to Budapest, Hungary’s capital, is stunning. Savour the beauty of Budapest during a coach tour or a guided bike tour (optional) to discover many of the highlights of this beautiful city. You can also choose to cycle to the charming town of Szentendre with its Mediterranean atmosphere and lively art scene. You will get a very close experience of Hungarian culture at an evening Folklore show with traditional music, local appetizers and dance (optional).
- Cycling for the day: approx. 54 km (or day of rest)
Day 5: Danube bend – Esztergom | 43 km
Situated in the middle of the Danube River, the idyllic isle of Szentendre exudes silent Puszta romance. History, folklore and Hungarian way of life will accompany you on your way to Esztergom, where the gorgeous basilica – Hungary’s largest Catholic Church – impresses its guests.
- Cycling for the day: approx. 43 km
Day 6: Vienna Rest Day
Discover Vienna’s most beautiful attractions. During a city tour by bike or bus (optional), you will experience Vienna’s most famous examples of architecture: the imperial Hofburg, St. Stephens Cathedral, the gorgeous ‘Ring’-boulevard and the State Opera House, the Burgtheater and town hall, and of course the colourful “Hundertwasserhaus”. Take time to relax in one or more of Vienna’s famous cafés, while the evening ends impressively at a classical concert (optional) at a famous Viennese Palace.
Day 7: Wachau / Krems – Melk | 37 km
Your last biking day is a special highlight! A powerful ruin looms above the small Baroque town of Durnstein, while the blue spire of the monastery church is a landmark of the renowned Wachau Valley. Amidst dreamy towns, apricot trees, vineyards and castles, this hilly landscape enchants everybody who visits. In Weißenkirchen (possibility for wine-tasting – optional), you will find comfortable wine taverns along the bike path.
- Cycling for the day: approx. 37 km
Day 8: Passau
As you cruise back up the Danube, enjoy the early morning sunshine as you wind your way to Passau, where you’ll disembark at approx. 10 a.m. Connecting travel should be booked from 11.30 a.m. onwards.
What to Expect
Accommodation is on a comfortable traditional riverboat for the duration of the whole tour. The first thing you’ll experience when boarding is the friendly atmosphere and the cosiness of the river ship. In the restaurant, you will start your culinary excursion through the Danube countries – the fantastic view of the beautiful scenery will sweeten the diversity of flavours you taste. In the Panorama-Lounge, with its bar, you can enjoy a glass of wine with your new friends and travel mates while the gorgeous landscape is passing by.
Click to view default ships
- MV Fortuna – Step onboard into a stylish and luxurious atmosphere. From the bright and airy Panorama Salon, the comfortable Bar or the Sun Deck (in some areas roofed over) enjoy the picturesque riverside scenery as the ship glides through the water. In the elegant Panorama Restaurant, our trained crew will pamper you with local and international specialities. As well as a generous foyer with reception and shop, the ship also has a cosy library, an Internet Corner and a lift between the middle and top decks as well as a stairlift to the sun deck. Wi-Fi is available onboard (although signal strength can vary, to be paid for on the ship).
- MV Carissima – The first thing you ́ll experience when boarding is the friendly atmosphere and the cosiness of the river ship. In the restaurant you will start your culinary excursion through the Danube countries – the fantastic view of the beautiful scenery will sweeten the diversity of flavours you taste. In the Panorama-Lounge, with its bar, you can enjoy a glass of wine with your new friends and travel mates while the gorgeous landscape is passing by. Comfortable lounge chairs and discreet colours make your stay a little longer. After an exciting day of cycling, you can relax in the spa with a sauna and whirlpool. For pleasant refreshment, jump into the pool (June-August) on the sun deck, from where you can enjoy a magnificent view. And if you are in the mood for reading, just borrow a book from the library! This comfortable ship will make your journey unforgettable. Wi-Fi is available onboard (connection can vary, payable locally).
Package includes full board: breakfast buffet, lunch on board (non-cyclists) or packed lunch (cyclists), afternoon coffee break, dinner (2-3 dishes to choose from), late-night snack.
Difficulty & terrain
The tour is easy and follows mainly the Eurovelo 6 cycle path leading trough terrain with only slight gradients. Do not feel like cycling? You can also reach your destination by ship (read more about difficulty grades). Upon arrival, you will receive detailed travel information with route maps or overview maps, route descriptions, tourist attractions and important telephone numbers (1 set per room). The package also includes daily information meeting as well as a tour guide on board.
When to go
This trip is available from April until October. Weather is best in July – August. The tour departs on Sunday (MV Fortuna) and Saturday (MV Carissima).
Click to view travel options
- In case you travel by train, the best connections are from Schärding and Passau train stations. At Passau the parking costs between €71 (outdoor area) to € 83 (parking garage), including shuttle transfer to and from pier; payable locally.
- For more information, use the Omio planner above.
- 7 nights in traditional main-deck cabins with private facilities and air conditioning
- Port charges
- Programme according to itinerary from/to Passau
- Captain‘s greeting and welcome cocktail
- Gala dinner and farewell cocktail
- Daily cabin cleaning, towels and bed linen
- Full board: breakfast buffet, lunch on board (non-cyclists) or packed lunch (cyclists), afternoon coffee break, dinner (2/3 dishes to choose), late-night snack.
- Trip manager on board (does not cycle with the group)
- Daily information meeting
- Detailed roadbook per cabin
- Airfare and connecting land transfers
- Travel insurance (required – get a quote online)
- Personal expenses
- Local tourist taxes and entry fees (payable on-site)
- Any items not explicitly listed as included
Options, extras & supplements
- A supplement applies to members of a group who require a single cabin & to solo travellers (upon request; upper deck only)
- Cabin upgrades (upon request: middle and upper deck)
- Bike rental
- Guided supplement including a private guide while cycling, bus city tour in Budapest, cider & wine tastings. Only available on the following departure dates:
- MV Fortuna: 23 May, 18 July, 3 October 2021 & 22 May, 17 July, 2 October, 9 October 2022
- MV Carissima: 24 April, 8 May, 5 June, 12 June, 3 July, 21 August, 18 September 2021 & 28 May, 2 July, 3 September 2022