On our Jewels of the Dalmatian Coast in Comfort walking holiday, you will enjoy an island-hopping walking adventure along Croatia’s stunning Adriatic coast. Walk the cobbled streets of Split and the quiet trails of rural Dalmatia, then explore the island idyll of Hvar, Korčula, Šipan and Mljet, and spend two nights in the beautiful Dubrovnik. Exploring the treasures of the Dalmatian coast and its islands on foot offers unique opportunities to experience the stunning landscapes, unspoilt nature, crystal blue sea, medieval towns and cultural heritage that make this region a must-see destination. Spend the overnights in hand-picked luxury 4-star hotels.
- The Old Town of Split
- Hvar Island
- Korčula Island
- Mljet Island
- Šipan Island
Click to view map
Day 1: Arrival in Split
A complimentary airport transfer will bring you to your hotel in Split, where the printed materials for your tour will be waiting for you. Walk around the beautiful old town of Split and Marjan park. In the evening taste the local wines and cuisine in one of the numerous restaurants in Split.
- Accommodation: 4-star hotel in Split (Jupiter Heritage Hotel, Luxe or similar)
Day 2: Hvar Island | 12km
After breakfast, you will have a short walk to the Split harbour, from where you will board the public passenger ferry to the town of Hvar (1h); luggage from hotel to ferry port in Split will be transported by electric cart. Upon arrival in Hvar, there is a 5-10min walk (with your luggage) to the hotel. Approximately 68km long, with a high east-west ridge of limestone and dolomite, the island of Hvar is second to Brac in terms of size. Its hillsides are covered in pine forests, vineyards, olive groves, fruit orchards and lavender fields.
After checking in at the hotel, a short car transfer (25min) will bring you to Velo Grablje, and you will start walking towards Hvar. Passing through old villages, you’ll enjoy the traditional architecture of the area. Small trails that lead you downhill by olive groves will get you to Malo Grablje where locals had built the first lavender distillery in the region; lavender was once the main export product. Continuing further down, the trail passes through Milna village meandering along pine trees and wild Mediterranean garden and then takes you along the coast all the way back to the town of Hvar. Overnight in a hotel in the old town of Hvar.
- Accommodation: 4-star hotel in Hvar (Adriana Spa, Park Heritage or similar)
- Walking for the day: 12km, 3-4h, ↑130m ↓460m
Day 3: Korčula Island | 12km
In the morning, take the public passenger ferry to Korčula island (1h). After arrival, you will have a short transfer to the village of Pupnat (stopping at the hotel to leave your luggage; 15min), from where you start walking towards Korčula. Korčula is the home town of Marco Polo, a place full of history. You can enjoy your afternoon and evening strolling the narrow streets of the Old Town.
- Accommodation: 4-star hotel in Korčula (Korsal, De la Ville or similar)
- Walking for the day: 12km, 3-4h, ↑100m ↓410m
Day 4: Mljet Island | 15km
Morning boat transfer from Korčula to Mljet. Walking tour in Mljet National Park – North West Park Trail. Mljet, often called “the green island” because of its lush vegetation, is one of the eight Croatian national parks. As on Šipan, there is a clear blue sea, numerous bays, beaches, cliffs, and two lovely salt lakes – warm even in early spring. Your walk will begin from Polače village just behind a Roman palace’s ancient remains dating from the 2nd century and continues through the National Park and around the salt lakes. The walk averages around 3-4 hours, and there is the chance to swim and enjoy lunch in a local tavern or extend your hike to the highest peak in the national park area, Montokuc. Overnight in Mljet.
Day 5: Dubrovnik City Tour
After breakfast, you will take the public passenger ferry to Dubrovnik (1.5h). From Dubrovnik harbour, you will have an organised car transfer to the centre of Dubrovnik (15min). A local English-speaking guide will then accompany you for a two-hour guided tour of the Old Town. The rest of the day is yours to enjoy the charms of Dubrovnik. We recommend that you take the Dubrovnik cable car to the top of Srd Hill for breathtaking views of the Old Town, the crystal clear Adriatic Sea, and the numerous Dalmatian islands.
- Accommodation: 4-star hotel in Dubrovnik (Prijeko Palace, Lero or similar)
- Walking for the day: 2h private tour of Dubrovnik Old Town
Day 6: Island of Šipan | 14km
You will set out from the main port of Dubrovnik by local boat to Šipan, the largest of the famous Elafiti islands. The island has a rich cultural heritage and is perfect for walking with its vineyards, olive groves and pine forests. You will start your walk from Sudjuradj and head inland all the way up to the other settlement on the island, Luka Šipanska. Historically Šipan was a residential place of Dubrovnik patricians. If you follow the road from port Sudjuradj along the vineyards and olive trees to the port of the Luka, you will pass by old churches, summer residential palaces, beautiful pine forests, hidden bays. Upon arrival in Luka, you can have lunch in some local tavern. Late afternoon return to the port of Sudjuradj where the boat departs to Dubrovnik.
- Accommodation: 4-star hotel in Dubrovnik (Prijeko Palace, Lero or similar)
- Walking for the day: 14km, 4h, ↑150m (+ optional extra walks around the island)
Day 7: Departure
Departure after breakfast. Complimentary transfer to Dubrovnik Airport.
What to expect
Accommodation is in en-suite double/twin rooms in luxury 4-star hotels (5 nights) and in a nice 3-star hotel or guesthouse (1 night) as listed in the itinerary above. We have carefully hand-picked all places and regularly monitor their quality. We have tried to choose accommodations that offer friendly service, clean and comfortable rooms and local flavour.
Click to view default hotels
Hotels are subject to availability. In case a particular hotel is fully booked for your desired dates, we will replace it with a hotel of equal value and quality level. We will provide exact accommodation details to you upon booking confirmation.
Accommodation is on a bed & breakfast basis. Picnic lunches are optional at an extra charge and can be ordered locally, or products for picnics can be purchased in the villages where you’ll be staying. On some days you have the option of having your lunch in a restaurant along the way. You can have dinner at your hotel or nearby restaurants.
Difficulty and terrain
This trip requires a basic physical condition. It is easy to moderate, and the terrain varies from paved and cobblestone streets (during village exploration) to single-track trails with loose stones or gravel, rocky paths, ancient ruins, and sets of ancient stone steps. The trails are often exposed to the sun (read more about difficulty grades).
We strongly advise you to follow only marked trails and never try to shorten the path through the unknown and unmarked terrain. We will provide you with detailed road notes and maps, and you can call our 24/7 local assistance phone number anytime. More detailed info on route navigation will be included in your holiday information pack.
When to go
This trip is available from the beginning of March till the end of October. Traditionally April/May/June and September/October have always been the most favourite time of year because the weather is best. If you choose to visit during July and August, you should be aware that temperatures may be high and make walking slightly more difficult. Please also note that Dubrovnik may become quite overcrowded in the summer months! The flexibility of self guided holidays means that there are no fixed dates, and you can start your holiday on any date in the season – so please indicate desired starting date when booking.
The most convenient arrival airport is Split, while Dubrovnik is the most convenient departure airport. Complimentary arrival transfer from Split Airport and departure transfer to Dubrovnik Airport are included in your package. If you fly into Dubrovnik, Split is easily reachable by public bus (4-5h).
- 1 overnight with breakfast in hotel 4* in Split
- 1 overnight with breakfast in hotel 4* in Hvar
- 2 overnights with breakfast in hotel 4* in Korčula
- 1 overnight with breakfast in hotel 3* or B&B in Mljet
- 1 overnight with breakfast in hotel 4* in Dubrovnik
- Transfer from Split airport to accommodation in Split and from hotel in Dubrovnik to Dubrovnik airport
- Transfer from Hvar to Velo Grablje on day 2
- Transfer from Korčula to Pupnat on day 3
- Transfer from ferry port Gruž in Dubrovnik to Dubrovnik centre
- Catamaran tickets Split to Hvar, Hvar to Korčula, Korčula to Mljet and Mljet to Dubrovnik
- Local guide for the 2-hour city tour in Dubrovnik
- Information package including detailed route description (maps and route notes), a guidebook, luggage tags and vouchers for hotels
- 24/7 phone assistance by our local office/representative
- Airfare and connecting land transfers
- Lunches, dinners, drinks and snacks
- Boat ticket to Orebić from Korčula for the St. Ilija walk and back
- Entrance fee to national park Mljet, approx. EUR 15 per person, to be paid on site
- Travel insurance (required – get a quote online)
- Personal expenses
- Any items not explicitly listed as included
Options, extras and supplements
- A supplement applies to members of a group who require a single room
- This holiday is available for solo travellers; a supplement will be charged as accommodation and luggage transfer costs are not shared (we never mix and match – solo travellers will be accommodated in single rooms)
- Extra nights along the trail are bookable upon request