Cross Austria’s UNESCO Biosphere Reserve on the Nockberge Trail (Nock Mountain) on this 7-day self-guided walking tour from Katschberg to Bad Kleinkirchheim. The Nockberge Trail leads over lush green mountain pastures, through shady stone pine forests, on breathtakingly scenic ridges, from one peak to the next. You will be impressed with its captivating unique landscape, the infinite panoramas, the charming alternation of 4-star hotels and cosy huts – the right choice for long-distance hikers who prefer technically moderate trails without exposed passages, to enjoy a rewarding hiking experience.
- UNESCO Biosphere Reserve Nockberge
- Seeboden at the turquoise-blue lake
- Bad Kleinkirchheim
- Schwarze Wand
Click to view map
*This map is only for general reference and you should never use it for navigational purposes.
Day 1: Arrival Katschberghöhe
Located at the sunny side of the Austrian Alps, Katschberg is combining the best of Carinthia and Salzburger Land. Check-in and relax at the wellness centre of your 4-star hotel.
- Accommodation: Hotel Lärchenhof****
Day 2: Katschberghöhe – Neue Bonner-Hütte | 8km
Start your walking adventure towards the slope to the summit of Aineck, pass Theuerlnock and continue hiking over pastures and later through the forest to the Neue Bonner-Hütte. This is a relatively short stage – you will have enough time in the afternoon to rest on the sun terrace of the rustic lodge and enjoy the culinary delights.
- Walking for the day: 3.5h, 8km, ↑591m ↓519m
- Accommodation: Neue Bonner-Hütte (shared facilities; make sure to bring a sleeping bag and a towel)
Day 3: Neuen Bonner-Hütte – Innerkrems | 16.6km
From the Neue Bonner-Hütte, follow a slight downhill to the wide road in the Laußnitztal valley and up to the idyllic Laußnitzsee. Continue uphill to the Schwarzwand (2,214m). Hike the wonderful ridge passing nameless mountain lakes to the beautifully situated lake Anderlesee. Have a break by the hut “Blutige Alm Hütte” (1,195 m). Your final destination for today is the idyllic Innerkrems resort.
- Walking for the day: 6h, 16.6km, ↑824m ↓992m
- Accommodation: Hotel Berghof****
Day 4: Innerkrems – Turracher Höhe | 21.3km
After breakfast, the trail will take you to the beautiful Donnerschlucht Gorge and later uphill through the scenic valley of Rosaninalm. Passing an ecologically valuable wetland, you reach the Rosaninsee lake at 2,057m and shortly after – the summit of the Großer Königstuhl at 2,336m. Spend the night at the beautiful lake Turrachsee and relax at the wellness centre of your hotel.
- Walking for the day: 7h, 21.3km, ↑1,056m ↓822m
- Accommodation: Panorama Hotel Turracher Höhe****
Day 5: Turracher Höhe – Falkertsee | 18.1km
Climb through the forest to reach a side valley, the so-called “Kormulde”, pass an old cinnabar mine and summit the Rinsennock at 2.334 m to enjoy a wonderful view of lake Turrachsee. Bypass the summit of the Steinnock on its southern side to reach the Hundsfeldscharte between Falkertköpfl and Falkert, where you will be rewarded with a stunning view over the peaks of the Nock Mountains. Transfers from Falkertsee to Bad Kleinkirchheim in the afternoon.
- Walking for the day: 7h, 18.1km, ↑1,189m ↓1,082m
- Accommodation: Hotel Kolmhof****
Day 6: Falkertsee – Bad Kleinkirchheim | 13.2km
After a transfer back to Falkertsee, today’s walk starts with a climb to peak Falkert at 2,308m – one of the most famous peaks of the Nock mountains offering some breathtaking views. Descend the ridge in its entire length until the path drops steeper to Bad Kleinkirchheim at 1,990m. Choose the left path, which leads through a forest to the church near the Römerbad Thermal Spa in the centre of Bad Kleinkirchheim.
- Walking for the day: 5h, 13.2km, ↑441m ↓1,310m
- Accommodation: Hotel Kolmhof****
Day 7: Departure
Depart after breakfast.
What to expect
Accommodation is in nice 4-star hotels in double or twin private en-suite rooms and one night in a mountain hut with shared facilities. We have carefully hand-picked all places and regularly monitor their quality. We have tried to choose accommodations that offer friendly service, clean and comfortable rooms and local flavour.
Click to view our default hotels for this trip
- Hotel Lärchenhof****
- Neue Bonner-Hütte (shared facilities; make sure to bring a sleeping bag and a towel)
- Hotel Berghof****
- Panorama Hotel Turracher Höhe****
- Heidi Hotel****
- Hotel Kolmhof****
*Hotels are subject to availability. In case a hotel is fully booked for your desired dates, we will replace it with a property of equal standard. We will provide full accommodation details upon booking confirmation.
Accommodation is on a half board basis – breakfast and dinner included. Picnic lunches are optional at an extra charge and can be ordered locally.
Difficulty and terrain
There are some relatively steep sections and short rope-secured passages (read more about difficulty grades). We strongly advise you to follow only marked trails and never try to shorten the path through the unknown and unmarked terrain. We will provide you with detailed road notes and maps, and you can call our 24/7 local assistance phone number anytime.
When to go
This trip is available from the beginning of June until mid-September.
The flexibility of self-guided holidays means that there are no fixed dates, and you can start your trip on any date during the season.
Click to view travel options
Our recommended airport for this tour is Salzburg (SZG).
By train or bus
- By train: Bus from Salzburg airport and via the Salzburg central station (15m) to Spittal-Millstaettersee (approx. 2h) and taxi to Katschberg (20m).
- By bus: Bus from Salzburg airport and via the Salzburg central station (15m) to St. Michael i.L. Wieden Lagerhaus (approx. 2h) and taxi to Katschberg (10m).
- By car: Arrive at Bad Kleinkirchheim where the trail ends and park for the duration of the tour on the carpark “Maibrunn Neu” free of charge. Then take included transfer in the afternoon and to Katschberg. The carpark on Katschberg costs € 5,- per car per day and the ticket has to be booked in advance directly at the tourist office. So it’s easier to park the car at the end point.
- For more information, use the Omio planner above.
- 6 overnights as detailed in the itinerary
- Half Board (breakfast and dinner on all days)
- Luggage transfer when changing hotels (one piece of luggage per person, max 20kg)
- Transfer from Bad Kleinkirchheim to Katschberg on Day 1 (if travelling by car)
- Transfer from Falkertsee to Bad Kleinkirchheim on Day 5
- Transfer from Bad Kleinkirchheim to Falkertsee on Day 6
- Detailed route notes (1 set per room)
- 24/7 phone assistance by our local office/representative
- Airfare and connecting land transfers
- Lunches, drinks and snacks
- Travel insurance (required – get a quote online)
- Personal expenses
- Local tourist taxes and entry fees (payable on-site)
- Any items not specifically mentioned as included in the programme
Options, extras and supplements
- If you’re travelling in a group, a supplement applies to group members who would like to have a room of their own
- This holiday is available for solo travellers upon request only; a supplement will be charged as accommodation and luggage transfer costs are not shared (we never mix and match – solo travellers will be accommodated in single rooms)
- Extra nights in Katschberg are available upon request