Cross the stunning UNESCO Biosphere Reserve Nockberge (Nock Mountain) in Austria on this 7-day self guided walking tour from Katschberg to Bad Kleinkirchheim. The Nockberge Trail leads over lush green mountain pastures, through shady stone pine forests, on breathtakingly scenic ridges, from one peak to the next. You will be impressed with its captivating unique landscape, the infinite panoramas, the charming alternation of 4-star hotels and cosy huts – the right choice for long-distance hikers who prefer technically moderate trails without exposed passages, to enjoy a rewarding hiking experience.
Click to view map
*This map is only for general reference and you should never use it for navigational purposes.
Day 1: Arrival Katschberghöhe
Located at the sunny side of the Austrian Alps, Katschberg is combining the best of Carinthia and Salzburger Land. Check-in and relax at the wellness centre of your 4-star hotel.
- Accommodation: Hotel Lärchenhof****
Day 2: Katschberghöhe – Neue Bonner-Hütte | 8 km
Start your walking adventure towards the slope to the summit of Aineck, pass Theuerlnock and continue hiking over pastures and later through the forest to the Neue Bonner-Hütte. This is a relatively short stage – you will have enough time in the afternoon to rest on the sun terrace of the rustic lodge and enjoy the culinary delights.
- Walking for the day: 3.5 hours, 8 km ↑591 m ↓519 m
- Accommodation: Neue Bonner-Hütte (shared facilities; make sure to bring a sleeping bag and a towel)
Day 3: Neuen Bonner-Hütte – Innerkrems | 16.6 km
From the Neue Bonner-Hütte, follow a slight downhill to the wide road in the Laußnitztal valley and up to the idyllic Laußnitzsee. Continue uphill to the Schwarzwand (2.214m). Hike the wonderful ridge passing nameless mountain lakes to the beautifully situated lake Anderlesee. Have a break by the hut “Blutige Alm Hütte” (1.195 m). Your final destination for today is the idyllic Innerkrems resort.
- Walking for the day: 6 hours, 16.6 km ↑824 m ↓992 m
- Accommodation: Hotel Berghof****
Day 4: Innerkrems – Turracher Höhe | 21.3 km
After breakfast, the trail will take you to the beautiful Donnerschlucht Gorge and later uphill through the scenic valley of Rosaninalm. Passing an ecologically valuable wetland, you reach the Rosaninsee lake at 2057 m and shortly after – the summit of the Großer Königstuhl at 2336 m. Spend the night at the beautiful lake Turrachsee and relax at the wellness centre of your hotel.
- Walking for the day: 7 hours, 21.3 km ↑1.056 m ↓822 m
- Accommodation: Panorama Hotel Turracher Höhe****
Day 5: Turracher Höhe – Falkertsee | 18.1 km
Climb through the forest to reach a side valley, the so-called “Kormulde”, pass an old cinnabar mine and summit the Rinsennock at 2.334 m to enjoy a wonderful view of lake Turrachsee. Bypass the summit of the Steinnock on its southern side to reach the Hundsfeldscharte between Falkertköpfl and Falkert, where you will be rewarded with a stunning view over the peaks of the Nock Mountains. Descend eastwards to the lake Falkertsee, where your luxury accommodation is located.
- Walking for the day: 7 hours, 18.1 km ↑1.189 m ↓1.082 m
- Accommodation: Heidi Hotel****
Day 6: Falkertsee – Bad Kleinkirchheim | 13.2 km
Today’s walk starts with a climb to peak Falkert at 2.308 m – one of the most famous peaks of the Nock mountains offering some breathtaking views. Descend the ridge in its entire length until the path drops steeper to Bad Kleinkirchheim at 1990 m. Choose the left path, which leads through a forest to the church near the Römerbad Thermal Spa in the centre of Bad Kleinkirchheim.
- Walking for the day: 5 hours, 13.2 km ↑441 m ↓1.310 m
- Accommodation: Hotel Kolmhof****
Day 7: Departure
After breakfast, a short transfer will take you back to Katschberg.
What to Expect
Accommodation is in nice 4-star hotels in double or twin private en-suite rooms and one night in a mountain hut with shared facilities. We have carefully hand-picked all places and regularly monitor their quality. We have tried to choose accommodations that offer friendly service, clean and comfortable rooms and local flavour.
Click to view our default hotels for this trip
- Hotel Lärchenhof****
- Neue Bonner-Hütte (shared facilities; make sure to bring a sleeping bag and a towel)
- Hotel Berghof****
- Panorama Hotel Turracher Höhe****
- Heidi Hotel****
- Hotel Kolmhof****
*Hotels are subject to availability. In case a hotel is fully booked for your desired dates, we will replace it with a property of equal standard. We will provide full accommodation details upon booking confirmation.
Accommodation is on a half board basis – breakfast and dinner included. Picnic lunches are optional at an extra charge and can be ordered locally.
Difficulty & terrain
There are some relatively steep sections and short rope-secured passages (read more about difficulty grades). We strongly advise you to follow only marked trails and never try to shorten the path through the unknown and unmarked terrain. We will provide you with detailed road notes and maps, and you can call our 24/7 local assistance phone number anytime.
When to go
This trip is available from the beginning of June until mid-September.
The flexibility of self guided holidays means that there are no fixed dates, and you can start your trip on any date during the season.
Click to view travel options
Our recommended airport for this tour is Salzburg (SZG).
By train or bus
- By train: Bus from Salzburg airport and via the Salzburg central station (15 m) to Spittal-Millstaettersee (approx. 2 hours) and taxi to Katschberg (20 m).
- By bus: Bus from Salzburg airport and via the Salzburg central station (15 m) to St. Michael i.L. Wieden Lagerhaus (approx. 2 hours) and taxi to Katschberg (10 m).
- By car: Parking is available at the starting hotel. Detailed information is included in the pre-departure info. The transfer from Bad Kleinkirchheim back to Katschberg on Day 7 to collect your car is included in the price.
- For more information, use the Omio planner above.
- 6 overnights as detailed in the itinerary
- Half Board (breakfast and dinner on all days)
- Luggage transfer when changing hotels (one piece of luggage per person, max 20 kg)
- Transfer from Bad Kleinkirchheim to Katschberg on Day 7
- Detailed route notes (1 set per room)
- 24/7 phone assistance by our local office/representative
- Airfare and connecting land transfers
- Lunches, drinks and snacks
- Travel insurance (required – get a quote online)
- Personal expenses
- Local tourist taxes and entry fees (payable on-site)
- Any items not specifically mentioned as included in the programme
Options, extras & supplements
- Single room supplement for members of a group
- This holiday is available for solo travellers upon request only; a supplement will be charged as accommodation and luggage transfer costs are not shared (we never mix and match – solo travellers will be accommodated in single rooms)
- Extra nights in Katschberg are available upon request