Flanked by thirty-two 4,000-metre peaks, a spectacular experience awaits you on the Aletsch Glacier Panorama Trail. The Aletsch Glacier is the largest glacier in the Alps. It has a length of about 23 km and covers about 82 sq km in the eastern Bernese Alps. This walking holiday offers intoxicating panoramas – even without having a glass of the famous Valais wines! The hike along the railway embankment of the Lötschberg train line takes in amazing views on the viaducts and leads past small streams and over suspension bridges towards the Great Aletsch Glacier. The hike ends with a walk towards the typical mountain village of Bellwald, where you can again enjoy the skyline of the snowy peaks of Valais.
- Breathtaking mountain landscapes
- Lötschberg train line viaducts
- Aletsch Glacier, the largest in the Alps
- Stay in comfortable hotels and enjoy Swiss specialities
- All luggage transfers included
Click to view map
Day 1: Gampel-Steg
Arrive in Gampel or Steg on your own.
- Accommodation in Gampel: Du Pont or similar
Day 2: Gampel-Steg – Ausserberg | 12 km
Today’s walk starts with a panoramic hike on the high-level BLS railway Südrampe (south ramp). Walk beside the Lötschberg Railway tracks to the imposing Bietschtal bridge. A lovely path then takes you beside historic irrigation channels (suonen) to a hanging bridge; you will enjoy superb views at Brägji and Riedgarten.
- Walking for the day: 4-5 hours, 12 km, ↑800 m ↓420 m
- Accommodation in Ausserberg: Bahnhof or similar
Day 3: Ausserberg – Belalp | 15-21 km
Today you will again follow the suonen and the BLS railway line and take in impressive views of the Baltschieder viaduct. You will pass by the Swiss Guards Museum. From Naters either by foot or with the public bus, you will reach Blatten and from there take the cable car up to Belalp.
- Walking for the day: 7 hours, 21 km, ↑1265 m ↓945 m (alternative shorter option if you take the bus from Naters: 5 hours, 15 km, ↑560 m ↓870 m)
- Accommodation in Belalp: Belalp or similar
Day 4: Belalp – Riederalp | 10 km
Today you will enjoy great views over the lower part of Aletsch Glacier from Aletschbor. You will continue over a suspension bridge to the magical Aletschwald forest. Villa Cassel looms like an eagle’s nest on the Riederfurka ridge, surrounded by the magnificent Valais mountains.
- Walking for the day: 4 hours, 10 km, ↑400 m ↓850 m
- Accommodation in Riederalp: Silbersand or similar
Day 5: Riederalp – Fiescheralp | 17 km
Today, a string of vantage points provides a natural spectacle: to the north, the view of the Aletsch Glacier and to the south, the 4000-metre peaks of Valais. Your walk ends with a gentle descent to the Märjelensee lake, where cotton grasses and small tarns beautifully contrast with the rock and ice.
- Walking for the day: 5-6 hours, 17 km, ↑1020 m ↓755 m
- Accommodation in Fiescheralp: Alpenlodge Kühboden or similar
Day 6: Fiescheralp – Bellwald | 14 km
The trail follows old Alpine paths down to the Burg, a rock massif of gneiss smoothed by glaciers. Against the backdrop of the Goms mountains, the Fiescher Glacier becomes visible. The 160-metre-long Aspi-Titter suspension bridge takes you to the idyllic mountain village of Bellwald.
- Walking for the day: 5 hours, 14 km, ↑640 m ↓1265 m
- Accommodation in Bellwald: Hotel Bellwald or similar
Day 7: Departure
Return home or individual stay extension.
What to Expect
Accommodation is in middle-class hotels, in double or twin private en-suite rooms. We have carefully hand-picked all places and regularly monitor their quality. We have tried to choose accommodations that offer friendly service, clean and comfortable rooms and local flavour.
Click to view default hotels
*Hotels are subject to availability. In case a hotel is fully booked for your desired dates, we will replace it with a property of equal standard. We will provide full accommodation details upon booking confirmation.
Accommodation is on a bed & breakfast basis. Picnic lunches are optional at an additional charge and can be ordered locally. You can have dinner at your hotel or the restaurants in the villages.
Difficulty & terrain
Sure-footedness and good physical condition are mandatory. You must not be afraid of heights to go on this alpine tour, which includes a couple of pedestrian suspension bridge crossings. Some sections of the tour can be cut short in the case of bad weather using local transport (read more about difficulty grades). The trails are in perfect condition. We strongly advise you to follow only marked trails and never try to shorten the path through the unknown and unmarked terrain. We will provide you with detailed road notes and maps, and you can call our 24/7 local assistance phone number anytime. More detailed info on route navigation will be included in your holiday information pack.
When to go
This trip is available on any date between July and September.
The flexibility of self guided holidays means that there are no fixed dates and you can start your trip on any date in the season – so please indicate desired beginning date when booking.
Click to view travel options
By train or bus
- Parking is possible at the railway station in Gampel, c. CHF 4.- per day.
- Return travel by cable car down to Fürgangen and by train via Visp back to Gampel-Steg; approx. 2 hours
- For more information use the Omio planner above.
- Six overnight stays with breakfast as described in the itinerary (all overnights in private rooms)
- Luggage transfer on all walking days (one piece of luggage per person, 20 kg)
- Detailed route notes (1 x per room), Navigation App
- 24/7 phone assistance by our local office/representative
- Airfare and connecting land transfers
- Lunches, dinners, drinks and snacks
- Travel insurance (required – get a quote online)
- Cable car (Bellwald – Fürgangen) and train (Fürgangen – Brig) fare and other local transportation
- Personal expenses
- Local tourist taxes and entry fees (payable on-site)
- Any items not explicitly listed as included
Options, extras & supplements
- A supplement applies to members of a group who require a single room
- This holiday is available for solo travellers; a supplement will be charged as accommodation and luggage transfer costs are not shared (we never mix and match – solo travellers will be accommodated in single rooms)