We have always designed our holidays in a responsible way that gives back to local people and gives you a more rewarding experience. We believe that sustainable adventure travel is a great form of wealth redistribution and it is making a huge difference in the lives of many people in the countries where we operate. We feel that we have a responsibility to our local partners (most of which are small family-run companies) and the small communities that tourism benefits.
We aim to have a positive impact on the environment by being a leading voice, an educator and influencer of the industry on relevant sustainability issues. That is why we were among the first companies to join www.tourismdeclares.com which – launched in January 2020 – is a network of organisations, companies and individuals working in tourism who have come together to join other industries and regions in declaring a climate emergency.
By declaring an emergency, travel companies are publicly committing to the following five actions:
- Developing a ‘Climate Emergency Plan’ detailing their planned response.
- Transparently sharing progress publicly every year.
- Ensuring their plan focusses on cutting carbon emissions, in line with current advice from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change stating that, by 2030, we need to cut global carbon emissions to 55% below their 2017 levels to keep the planet within 1.5 degrees of warming.
- Working together with competitors, suppliers and partners to share best practice and grow the community.
- Advocating for system change across the industry and calling for urgent regulatory action to accelerate the transition towards zero-carbon air travel.