Overview for The Lycian Way East
The Lycian Way Trail from Fethiye to Antalya is considered as one of the most beautiful hiking trails in the world.
On this walking tour in Turkey, you will discover selected sections of the trail on the east coast of ancient Lycia. Through the mountainous coastal landscape in the Olympos national park, you will hike above the shining blue-green sea and arrive at beautiful bays. You will walk through mountainous landscapes and dense forests, where the oriental strawberry tree grows. From the pass at Musa Dagi, you can enjoy a great view of the towering mountains.
At the end of the walking holiday, you will be enchanted by the coastline of Kekova with its countless bays, peninsulas and islands and discover the famous rock tombs of Myra.
- Walk the eastern section of Turkey’s Lycian Way Trail
- Experience an authentic, less-travelled side of Turkey
- See the eternal flames of Chimaera
- Explore the ruins of Olympos, dating back to 300 BC
- Discover the rock tombs of Myra
- Fantastic views over turquoise seas from Cape Gelidonya’s lighthouse
- Stroll the streets of Antalya’s vibrant old town
Itinerary for The Lycian Way EastGo to top of page
Day 1: Arrival. Transfer to Antalya Old Town
Arrive at Antalya Airport and enjoy our complimentary transfer to your hotel in Antalya’s historical Old Town (15 km / 20 minutes). Meet our representative who will brief you on the walks and give you the maps and the documentation needed for your trip.
- Accommodation: Dogan Hotel
- Walking for the day: none / walk around Antalya Old Town
Day 2: Walk from Gedelme to Ovacik
Transfer to the trailhead above the village of Gedelme in the mountains of the Olympos National Park (56 km / 1.5 hours). First, you walk through high pine forests, then through gorges to an alpine pasture. Enjoy the views of the Tahtalı Dağı (2,370 m) and the sea. Your destination is the mountain village of Ovacık, where you will have a magnificent view of the sea and the high mountains of Taurus from your hotel.
- Accommodation: Gül Mountain Resort
- Walking for the day: 9 km, 3-4 hours
Day 3: The Eternal Flames of Chimaera
- Accommodation: Plaj Hotel
- Walking for the day: 8 km, 3.5 hours
Day 4: From the Ancient City of Olympos to Adrasan Bay
Today, the ruins of the ancient coastal town of Olympos await you. Discover the remains of temples and thermal baths, as well as the Acropolis, which rests on a seaside cliff. Through deciduous forests with strawberry trees, the path leads up the side of Musa Daği. Past citrus fruit orchards you reach Adrasan Bay.
- Accommodation: Papirus Hotel
- Walking for the day: 12 km, 5-6 hours
Day 5: Coast of Kekova, the Sunken City
Transfer to Kapakli (120 km / 2 hours). From here you start your hike to the ruins of the ancient city of Istlada. Walk through the beautiful coastal landscape of Kekova and reach the old castle of Simena. The Lycian Way then leads you to the small natural port of Üçağiz, where you stay for two nights.
Day 6: The Ancient Cities
Short transfer to the hiking trail above the small village of Sahilkilincli. First, visit the ancient city of Apollonia with its theatre. Through slopes covered with oaks and carob trees, you will walk to the remains of the ancient city of Aperlai. Here, in a long bay between two ridges, an inlet reaches up to the ruins – a beautiful bathing place! Walk back to Üçağiz on a narrow path along the coast.
Day 7: The Rock Tombs of Myra
Transfer to the ancient city of Myra (22 km / 40 min). Here you will see the impressive Lycian rock tombs, which are built in a towering rock wall. Afterwards, you can visit the Byzantine Basilica of Saint Nicholas in Demre, before returning to Antalya by public bus (about 3 hrs, transfer not included, bus ticket GBP 10 pp plus GBP 10 for a taxi ). Alternative booking of private transfer is possible (at an extra cost). Visit the old town of Antalya, the old harbour or the beautiful terraced parks of Antalya.
- Accommodation: Dogan Hotel
- Walking for the day: no walking / walk around Antalya
Day 8: Departure or Onward travel
Return home or individual stay extension.
Hotels for The Lycian Way EastGo to top of page
Accommodation is in hand-picked and regularly monitored hotels and guesthouses offering various levels of comfort.
*Hotels are subject to availability. In case a particular hotel is fully booked for your desired dates we will replace it with a hotel of equal value and quality level. We will give you exact accommodation details upon booking confirmation.
Breakfast is always included. Dinner, a packed lunch and a bottle of mineral water are included on Days 2-6. In Antalya, there are multiple restaurants and taverns where you can sample the incredible local cuisine.
Travel for The Lycian Way EastGo to top of page
Recommended arrival and departure airport: Antalya.
Airport transfers are included. Please note that only one airport transfer per party is included, though we can arrange additional transfers at an extra cost. It is advisable therefore that all party members arrive on the same flight or at least at a similar time. Night transfer extra charges may be applicable on private transfers in case of late night arrivals.
Please note that flight information can change rapidly, and not all flights run daily. Please do check directly with the airlines’ websites or Skyscanner before finalising any booking with us. Please do not book your flights before we have confirmed your booking.
You have all private transfers arranged for you according to the itinerary, apart from the bus transfer to Antalya on Day 7.
Luggage transfer on walking days is included as per itinerary and we will arrange it from your current hotel to your next hotel. After check out, you will leave baggage at the hotel reception, and you can start hiking. When you arrive at your next hotel, your baggage will be at the hotel reception.
This region of Turkey is considered safe. For up to date travel advice and country info, please check here.
Timezone: GMT +3
Language: Turkish. In big cities, many people speak English, but in remote areas, this might not be the case. However, most of the hotel staff where we stay speak English and are ready to help you. Road signs/markers are normally in both Turkish and Latin alphabet – and you can always call our 24/7 helpline if there are any problems.
Electric supply and plugs: 220V, 50Hz, two-pin round plugs.
Currency: Turkish Lira. We strongly recommend taking sufficient cash for your daily requirements. Banks and ATMs are not available outside of cities.
Cost of living is cheaper than in the UK. Some sample prices follow:
- a 3-course meal in a standard restaurant: 10€
- A litre of mineral water from a street shop: 0.5€
- A cup of coffee: 1.5€
Trip Info for The Lycian Way EastGo to top of page
Difficulty Grade: Easy to Moderate
This holiday is suitable for walkers of average fitness. Some days include longer walks of a moderate grade. Total walking distance is 54 km, and average daily walking distance is 11 km per walking day, while total elevation gain is up to 1,700 m (read more about difficulty grades).
The terrain is varying from steep rocky footpaths to cobbled paths. Routes are well signposted in most parts. It is strongly suggested to follow only marked trails.
We strongly advise you to follow only marked trails and never try to shorten the path through the unknown and unmarked terrain. We will provide you with detailed road notes and maps and you can call our 24/7 local assistance phone number anytime. More detailed info on route navigation will be included in your holiday information pack.
When to Go
We can organise this walking tour between March and June and September till November. July and August are too hot for making this trip. Weather is best in the autumn. The flexibility of self-guided holidays means that there are no fixed dates and you can start your holiday on any date in the season – so please indicate desired beginning date when booking.
Winter temperatures are quite mild, with average highs around 15 °C (59 °F), while in summer the maximum temperatures are hot, ranging between 30 and 35 °C (86 and 95 °F). Rainfall is concentrated from mid-October to mid-April, when it can be abundant, and can sometimes be torrential, particularly in the slopes facing west and southwest. In Antalya, about 1,000 mm (40 in) of rain per year fall, but it almost never rains from June to September. For more details, https://www.climatestotravel.com/climate/turkeyvisit.
What to Bring
Main luggage is limited to 25 kg. On walking days your main luggage is transported to the next accommodation. For your daily essentials, you should bring a comfortable rucksack. Bringing good hiking shoes and waterproof jacket is essential.
Below is a non-exclusive list of what you should bring to this trip. We will include more detailed info in your holiday information pack. If you need further advice, please contact a reputable outdoor retailer or us.
- Good hiking boots;
- Hiking socks;
- Several t-shirts (cotton or preferably breathable/fast drying);
- Packable waterproof and windproof jacket with hood;
- Synthetic mid layer or warm fleece;
- Trainers and/or sandals – to relax and wear inside accommodation;
- Sunglasses, sunscreen and lip salve;
- Hat/Baseball cap;
- Personal First Aid kit (wet wipes, flu remedies, stomach remedies).
Included for The Lycian Way EastGo to top of page
- Detailed pre-departure holiday information pack including GPS-checked and regularly updated route descriptions and road notes; maps with daily routes and optional hikes marked
- Accommodation for 7 nights as listed in itinerary
- 7 Breakfasts
- 5 packed lunches and 5 dinners
- Luggage transport to next hotel
- Transfers to/from airport
- 24/7 assistance by phone
Single Room & Solo Traveller Supplements
- Single room supplement: add 20% to the standard trip price. Where individual members of a group require a single room, a single room supplement is applicable
- This holiday is available for solo travellers. As costs are not shared, a supplement is payable on the standard trip cost.
Options and Extras
(please choose when booking)
- Private transfer from Myra to Antalya on Day 7
- On request, we can provide a private guide (choose when booking).
- Bus transfer to Antalya on Day 7
- Lunches and dinners on first and last day
- Travel insurance
- Personal expenses such as drinks, phone calls, extra transfers, tips, etc.
- Any items not explicitly mentioned in the program
(please choose when booking)
- One extra night in Antalya before and/or after the holiday