Overview for Tenerife and Mount Teide Short Break
Take a short walking break in Tenerife and climb Mount Teide. With its 3718m, the Teide crater is the highest peak in Spain. Spend the first night in a nice spa hotel in Villaflor. We will arrange your second night in the iconic colonial-style Parador de Cañadas del Teide hotel at the foot of Mount Teide and then an overnight in the refuge which is located at 3260m, just below the peak. Very important, our package includes a climbing permit for the peak (to avoid erosion of the soft volcanic rock, local authorities limit the number of hikers) as well as a cable car ticket to the top. The sunrise from the crater of the Teide is an experience you will never forget. Then you walk back down to the bottom station of the cable car and transfer to the beach to finish this amazing trip with an overnight in a nice beach hotel.
- An experience you will never forget, the ascent of the highest mountain in Spain
- The sunrise from El Teide, with panoramic views stretching over the Canary archipelago
- Accommodation at the iconic Parador Hotel, the Altavista mountain refuge and a comfortable hotel by the beach
Itinerary for Tenerife and Mount Teide Short BreakGo to top of page
Day 1: Arrival Tenerife
A complimentary private transfer of 30 minutes from Tenerife South Airport to our comfortable hotel in Vilaflor (a transfer from North Airport or elsewhere in Tenerife can be arranged at a small extra cost). Vilaflor is the highest village of Tenerife, located at 1000m above sea-level, on the Southern edge of the Teide National Park.
- Overnight in El Tejar Hotel & Spa (or similar)
Day 2: Lunar Landscapes and Las Cañadas del Teide
In the morning, a taxi will drive you a few kilometres further North to start a nice and easy walk through a volcanic lunar landscape with bizarre rock formations. This walk ends in the centre of the village of Vilaflor. In the afternoon, you will be picked up in Vilaflor to go to Cañadas del Teide. Evenings spent here are quite an experience, with the clear and clean night skies providing wonderful star-gazing opportunities and the restaurant serving Canarian specialities such as Canarian Puchero, a tasty stew.
- Overnight in Parador Las Cañadas del Teide
- Walking for the day: 4.5 hours, 13 km, ↑450m ↓650m
Day 3: Las Cañadas del Teide
In the morning, before taking the cable car, we recommend to do an optional short walk in the surroundings of the Parador to Roques Garcia stones (3,5 km, 175m up and down; approx. 2h). After a short walk to the cable car station, you will take the cable car up to 3200m and walk to the Vista Point Pico Viejo (3 km, 75m up and down, 1h). Then you have to walk for approximately 1.5 hours further to the refuge of Altavista del Teide at 3260m where you will spend the overnight. The hut opens at 11.00. Kitchen, laundry rooms and bedrooms are only available from late afternoon until very early in the morning. So today you have plenty of time to enjoy the surroundings. You should bring your own food for today, which you can warm up in the refuge. Do not forget your breakfast for tomorrow morning! Drinks can be bought at the cabin.
- Overnight in Altavista Refuge
- Walking for the day: from Parador to the lower cable car station: 1-1.5 hours, 5 km ↑200m ↓20m; walk from the upper cable car station to the refuge: 0.5 hours, 1.6 km ↓305m; optional circular walks: up to 2-3 hours, 4 km ↑175m ↓175m per walk
Day 4: Mount Teide
Today is the highlight of your walking holiday. You have to get up very early: the bedrooms close at 8:00 am and you have your permit valid up to 9:00. If you get up around 5:30, you’ll usually be on time at the top to see the sunrise. The walk is short and not demanding, but it will be best to take it easy given the height. The ascent from the cable car station to the crater is 1.5 km return, 150m ascent/descent, 2h. Then walk back down to the bottom station of the cable car (you can alternatively take the cable car from the top to the bottom station, but you should arrange this on site) and transfer for a last overnight at a hotel near a lovely beach with a swimming pool, and not too far from the Tenerife South Airport.
- Overnight in Beach Hotel Médano (or similar)
- Walking for the day: 6 hours, 10 km, ↑150m ↓1350m if you use the cable car up to the peak (included) and walk back down to the refuge (shorter option using the cable car for your return (fare not included): 2 hours, 1.5 km, ↑150m ↓150m)
Day 5: Departure
Complimentary airport transfer to Tenerife South Airport included.
Hotels for Tenerife and Mount Teide Short BreakGo to top of page
You will spend the nights in a charming mix of carefully selected accommodations. Your first overnight will be in a nice spa hotel in Villaflor. We will arrange your second night in the iconic colonial-style Parador de Cañadas del Teide hotel at the foot of Mount Teide. Your third overnight will be in the legendary refuge which is located at 3260m, just below the peak (dormitory rooms, shared facilities*). Your last overnight will be in a nice beach hotel. All places have been carefully hand-picked by us, and their quality is regularly monitored. We have tried to choose accommodations that offer friendly service, clean and comfortable rooms and local flavour.
*Altavista Refuge consists of two buildings and is equipped with a first-aid room, dining room and kitchen. It has three dormitories with a total capacity for 54 people. The rooms are heated and beds are fully equipped with sheets and warm quilts, so you don’t have to bring a sleeping bag. It has shared toilets and washbasins, but no showers. The Refuge sells hot drinks, soft drinks and water and it is also possible to heat up food. The original refuge was built in 1892 and Tenerife Island Council took over its running in 1950. It was completely renovated in 2007. The maximum stay is one night only; visitors are given their bedding when they arrive and they can heat up food and drinks in the kitchen.
Note that hotels are subject to availability. In case a particular hotel is fully booked for your desired dates, we will replace it with a hotel of equal or higher value and quality level. We will provide exact accommodation details to you upon booking confirmation.
Breakfasts on Days 1, 2, 3 and 5 are included and served at the accommodation. You should bring your own food for the dinner on Day 3 and the breakfast on Day 4 at the refuge, as well as some snacks. Packed lunches are available at an extra cost and can be pre-ordered at the accommodations (not at the refuge). On all nights (apart from the night at the refuge) you will have plenty of options to dine out.
Travel for Tenerife and Mount Teide Short BreakGo to top of page
Tenerife South is the most convenient airport.
Your transfers from/to Tenerife South Airport are included.
Luggage transfers are included on Days 2 and 4 and are not included on Day 3 from The Parador to the refuge: you will leave your main luggage at The Parador when leaving it on Day 3 and it will be picked up and transferred to your next hotel on Day 4.
A comprehensive and reputable travel insurance policy is essential to your enjoyment and peace of mind while on an active holiday. It is highly recommended when booking with us that all group members have valid travel insurance which includes cover for all activities included in your trip. We have teamed up with to offer you adequate cover at a great value from a reputable insurer, and it takes only a few minutes to buy online.
- In bigger towns, you will have no problems finding English speaking service in hotels or restaurants. However, we suggest carrying a dictionary or a phrasebook with you. Please be aware that only a few restaurants offer multi-lingual menus.
- The currency in Spain is the Euro (€).
- 112 enables anyone to call emergency services from anywhere in the European Union.
- Up-to-date travel advice on Spain is available here. Detailed travel information and hints will be provided in your holiday information pack.
Trip Info for Tenerife and Mount Teide Short BreakGo to top of page
Difficulty Grade: Easy to Moderate
On a scale of 5, we have graded this trip as level 2 (easy to moderate). Moderate day walks of 3-4 hours per day (excluding breaks) on hilly to mountainous areas using well kept, sometimes stony paths. On some days there are alternate routes and/or ways to make walks shorter/easier. The walks follow rural tracks, both surfaced and unsurfaced, as well as hiking trails and footpaths. You may encounter some loose rock, or muddy/slippery sections in wet weather (read more about difficulty grades).
We strongly advise you to follow only marked trails and never try to shorten the path through the unknown and unmarked terrain. We will provide you with detailed road notes and maps, and you can call our 24/7 local assistance phone number anytime. More detailed info on route navigation will be included in your holiday information pack.
When to Go
This trip is available throughout the year. The flexibility of self-guided holidays means that there are no fixed dates and you can start your holiday on any date in the season. Please note that during national holidays (eg Christmas and New Year’s Eve) hotels may charge additional supplements.
Tenerife is warm year-round with almost no rain and long days of sunshine. The temperature is among the most consistent anywhere in Europe. Temperatures rarely drop below an average of 24°C throughout the year (but it can be much cooler at the top of Mount Teide – up to 11/12°C with winds between 15/30 kilometres per hour at the summit; as you are over 3000m up it is far hotter at sea level hence you should always bring a warm jacket for the climb).
Included for Tenerife and Mount Teide Short BreakGo to top of page
- Accommodation for 4 nights as detailed above (3 of them in private en-suite rooms; one in a dormitory with shared facilities)
- 3 breakfasts
- Complimentary transfers from Tenerife South airport to Vilaflor and from El Médano to Tenerife South airport
- Climbing permit
- Luggage transport (not included from The Parador to the refuge; you will leave your main luggage at the Parador on Day 3 and it will be picked up and transferred to your next hotel on Day 4)
- Cable car ticket on Day 3 (one way – up to the peak)
- Detailed route descriptions, travel and tour documents (one set per room)
- 24/7 phone assistance by our local office/representative
Options and Extras
- Single room supplement (not in the refuge)
- Solo traveller supplement
- Extra nights
Please click the CHECK AVAILABILITY button above to see the price of the holiday and the different options, extras and supplements for your desired dates.
- Flights to and from Tenerife
- Meals and transfers or any other items not specifically mentioned as ‘included’ in the programme
- Travel insurance
- Personal expenses such as phone calls, extra transfers, tips, etc.