Overview for Salzkammergut Winter Walking in Style
Relish frozen glacial lakes, idyllic Alpine villages and views of the Dachstein Massif which majestically rules over the surrounding snow-covered hills and sparkling winter forests. We invite you on a week-long privately guided winter walking holiday in the Postalm area, the second biggest high plateau in Europe offering some of the best winter walking experiences in the area of the Salzburg Lake District. Besides the amazing mountain landscapes, you will be also enjoy hand-picked four-star hotel accommodation offering great opportunities for spa relaxation.
Itinerary for Salzkammergut Winter Walking in StyleGo to top of page
Please note that the programme may be changed depending on the weather/snow conditions in order to provide you with the best experience and maximum safety during the holiday.
Day 1: Arrival at Lake Wolfgangsee
Check in at your hotel in the village centre of Strobl.
Day 2: Walking the Pilgrimage Trail from St. Wolfgang to St. Gilgen
We will follow the pilgrimage trail over Mount Falkenstein with a wonderful view over the lake and Wolfgangsee valley. After the tour, we will visit a nice coffee house in St. Gilgen where we enjoy a hot chocolate. Return by public bus.
Distance for the day: approx. 12 km, ↑↓450 m
Day 3: Snow Shoeing in the Alpine Pasture of Postalm
We will drive up to the alpine pasture of Postalm at an altitude of 1,200 to 1,700 meters. We will walk around from cabin to cabin with views to the glacier of Mount Dachstein.
Distance for the day: 5 to 15 km, ↑↓300 m to ↑↓ 500 m
Day 4: Rest Day. Enjoy a day in the spa in Bad Ischl
Go with your car or by public bus to the former Emperor City of Bad Ischl. Spend some time in the spa centre. Afterwards you may visit the famous pastry shop which was an official supplier of the Austro-Hungarian Emperor.
Day 5: Walking along Wolfgangsee Lake & Zinkenbach Canyon
We will walk along Lake Wolfgangsee to the Abersee peninsula, where we will have a break. Afterwards we will follow the Zinkenbach River valley. After a short ascend, we will reach the Vitz am Berg farmhouse offering nice views to Lake Wolfgangsee. Afterwards we will return to Strobl.
Distance for the day: 10 to 15 km, ↑↓ 300 m
Day 6: Mount Predigstuhl Snowshoeing
Today we will drive to Bad Goisern and up to Mount Predigstuhl. From there we will walk to the cabin Hütteneck with views to Lake Hallstatt. V
Distance for the day: 6 to 15 km, ↑↓400 m
Day 7: Departure
Departure on your own.
Hotels for Salzkammergut Winter Walking in StyleGo to top of page
4-star hotel with spa facilities in or around the village of Strobl. We have carefully hand-picked all places and regularly monitor their quality. We have tried to choose accommodations that offer friendly service, clean and comfortable rooms and local flavour.
*Hotel is subject to availability. In case a particular hotel is fully booked for your desired dates, we will replace it with a hotel of equal value and quality level. We will provide exact accommodation details to you upon booking confirmation.
Breakfast and dinner meals are included. In case there is no restaurant on the route during the day, lunches and snacks can be bought from local shops, or packed lunch can be pre-ordered from your hotel the night before.
Travel for Salzkammergut Winter Walking in StyleGo to top of page
Our recommended arrival airport for this holiday is Salzburg.
Flight information can change rapidly, and not all flights run daily. Please do check directly with the airlines’ websites or Skyscanner before finalising any booking with us. Please do not book your flights before we have confirmed your booking.
Getting to your hotel
Take the bus no. 150 to Abersee from Salzburg bus station (1 hour). Alternatively, you can take the train to Bad Ischl (1.30 h) and then a bus to Wolfgangsee (30 minutes). Visit the OBB website for up-to-date timetables and fares, or check the rome2rio link below.
Airport transfers by bus or train are recommended for this trip, as they are much cheaper and take the same time as car transfers. You can also book a private airport transfer with us.
Language: German. In big cities, many people speak English, but in remote areas, this might not be the case. However, most of the hotel personnel where we stay speak English and are ready to help you. Road signs/markers are in Latin alphabet – and you can always call our 24/7 helpline if there are any problems.
Electric supply and plugs: 220V, 50hZ, two-pin round plugs.
Currency: We strongly advise taking sufficient cash for your daily requirements. Banks and ATMs are available, and credit/debit card payments are widely accepted in towns and cities and big petrol station chains but might be limited at some of the villages we visit.
Up-to-date travel advice on Austria is available here.
Detailed travel information and hints will be provided in your holiday information pack.
Trip Info for Salzkammergut Winter Walking in StyleGo to top of page
Difficulty Grade: Easy to Moderate
Appropriate for walkers with some experience in mountain walking. Requires a sound level of fitness, daily distances vary between 5 and 15 km. No snowshoeing experience required.
When to Go
This trip is available in January and February.
What to Bring
We recommend that you travel as light as possible – airlines might charge you an extra fee, and during ground transfers, the place might be limited. Ideally, you should bring one piece of luggage weighing not more than 25 kg (to be checked in) and a daily pack (15 – 20 l rucksack) for your everyday essentials (snacks, drinking water, camera, etc.). Below is a non-exclusive list of what you should bring to this trip. More detailed info will be included in your holiday information pack. If you need further advice, please contact a reputable outdoor retailer or us.
- A mobile phone – useful in case of unexpected problems and the network is fairly reliable in the borth of the massif.
- A power bank
- A 40L backpack with a belly-band to carry your personal belongings and the picnic during the day.
- Another bag that will be carried: a backpack or travel bag (not too big nor not too heavy) 10kg maximum!
- Hiking clothes, loose-fitting, comfortable and warm, comfortable trousers (Gore-Tex), please avoid jeans!
- A wool sweater or a fleece jacket
- A Gore-Tex jacket or a waterproof windstopper
- A jumpsuit
- A pair of mittens and a pair of gloves.
- A hat
- Alpine skiing mask (recommended in case of bad weather).
- Acrylic tights (LIFA)
- 3 pairs of woollen socks
- Shoes: a good pair of hiking shoes, not too flexible but warm and comfortable
- We advise you to buy telescopic poles that can be used in winter for snowshoeing and for hiking in summer
- Mountain sunglasses (4 or more)
- Sunscreen (skin and lips), SPF 15 minimum
- Tupperware, + fork, spoon and knife
- 1,5L flask (optional). Beware of dehydration on the snow.
- Camera + cover (for the cold). Do not forget to bring some batteries.
- A pair of sneakers for the evening
- Spare clothes
- Towels, Kleenex, toilet paper
- A small toiletry bag
- A small first aid kit
Included for Salzkammergut Winter Walking in StyleGo to top of page
- Certified private English-speaking guided
- 6 nights in 4 star hotels
- 6 x half board (dinners and breakfasts
- 2 x guided walking tours
- 2 x guided snow shoeing tours
- Snow shoe rental
- Road charge Postalm
- Transfers to the starting point of the walks as detailed in the itinerary
Single Room & Solo Traveller Supplements
- Where individual members of a group require a single room, a single room supplement is applicable.
Please click the CHECK AVAILABILITY button above to see the price of the holiday and the different options, extras and supplements for your desired dates.
Options and Extras
- Private airport transfers from/to Salzburg Airport
- Flights and connecting airport transfers
- Travel insurance
- Personal expenses such as snacks, drinks, phone calls, extra transfers, tips, etc.
- Any items not specifically mentioned in the programme