Overview for Saint Paul Trail
The Saint Paul Trail is a long-distance footpath in Turkey, approximately 500 km long. The trail begins in Perge close to Antalya, goes deep into the Taurus mountains and ends in Yalvaç, north-east of Lake Eğirdir. The name of the trail is derived from the fact that it loosely follows the route Saint Paul the Apostle took on his first missionary journey to Anatolia.
Our Saint Paul Trail itinerary takes in the best sections of the trail from Lake Eğirdir to Selge, once a major Roman city, and allows you to immerse yourself in the way of life of the inhabitants of the old stone and timber villages along the route. You will see the local handicrafts, watch cheese and yoghurt making and enjoy the tasty local food. The trail follows beautiful sections of Roman roads in a spectacular land of forests, canyons, rivers and peaks.
Itinerary for Saint Paul TrailGo to top of page
Day 1: Arrival Antalya. Transfer to Eğirdir
Arrive at Antalya Airport. Complimentary transfer to Eğirdir (2 hrs) for your check-in at the accommodation. Eğirdir lies between Lake Eğirdir and the Mount Sivri and contains a castle said to have been built by Croesus, king of Lydia. The Hittites founded the town before falling to the Phrygians in around 1200 BC, and subsequently being conquered by the Lydians, the Persians and Alexander the Great. Dinner and overnight.
- Accommodation: Lale Pension or similar
Day 2: Mount Sivri
After an uphill transfer to Akpınar village (20 min), you walk to the Prostanna ruins and continue to the top of Mount Sivri (1800m). You return along the same route and enjoy a break in Akpınar at a cafe with lovely bird’s eye views across the lake. Transfer back to Eğirdir (20 mins). Rest of day is free for swimming in the lake or visiting the local market or a hamam in town. Dinner and overnight in the same pension in Eğirdir.
- Accommodation: Lale Pension or similar
- Walking for the day: 8.5 km, 4 hours ↑505 m ↓515 m
Day 3: Sipahiler – Serpil
Transfer from Eğirdir to Sipahiler (40 min) and walk on the Saint Paul Trail to Serpil. Today’s walk goes over a pass in the forest then across spectacular limestone ridges and through indigenous oak forest, passing shepherd huts and grazing lands with the possibility to observe cattle and wild horses. You meet with the transfer car in Serpil and drive back to the pension (20 mins). Dinner and overnight in the same guesthouse in Eğirdir.
- Accommodation: Accommodation: Lale Pension or similar
- Walking for the day: 14.5 km, 5 hours ↑400 m ↓700 m
Day 4: Saray Yolu Fountain – Adada – Sağrak
Morning transfer from Eğirdir to Saray Yolu Fountain (45 min). You walk through a rural landscape with tiny hamlets, wild horses and century-old trees to the ancient city of Adada were three significant temples are still standing alongside the smallest ancient theatre in Anatolia. You then walk down along the Roman road where Saint Paul himself may have walked to Sağrak village where you meet with the car for a transfer to Kasımlar and your pension (35 min). Dinner and overnight.
- Accommodation: St Paul Yolu Pension or similar
- Walking for the day: 14 km, 5 hours ↑150 m ↓650 m
Day 5: Tota Pasture – Kasımlar
Transfer from Kasımlar to the Tota pasture (20 min). The walk takes you from this pasture along a ridge-top to the ruins of a Byzantine church. The descent is through the forest. You will explore the woods, with miniature wild tulips and other flowers in the right season and enjoy spectacular views towards the high mountain ranges. The walk finishes in Kasımlar. Dinner and overnight.
- Accommodation: St Paul Yolu Pension or similar
- Walking for the day: 18 km, 6 hours ↑330 m ↓830 m
Day 6: Fındık – Kesme
Transfer from Kasımlar to the start of the walk in the Fındık neighbourhood (10 min). The spectacular route starts at a bridge across the river and will take you over the rim of the canyon on old paved paths, down through mysterious rock formations passing rural huts, ancient ruins and meeting many goats along the way. You meet with the car in Kesme and transfer to the pension in Çaltepe (1 hr).
- Accommodation: Erdinç Barca Pension or similar
- Walking for the day: 14 km, 6 hours ↑710 m ↓390 m
Day 7: Kestanelik – Selge
Car transfer to the start of the walk at Kestanelik (20 min). Today’s walk is not that long so a leisurely start is possible. You follow an ancient route, at times beautifully paved, through a dreamy landscape of dark forest and stunning rock formations. Reaching Selge, you will have time to explore the many ruins of this vast ancient city. Afternoon transfer to the accommodation on the banks of the Köprülü river (25 min).
- Accommodation: Perge Pension
- Walking for the day: 10.5 km, 3 hours ↑450 m ↓390 m
Day 8: Departure
You can enjoy an optional swimming or rafting excursion on the river (pay locally, if you book a rafting tour, a simple pasta lunch is included). Depending on your flight schedule, our car will collect you for your complimentary transfer to Antalya (1hr 45min).
Hotels for Saint Paul TrailGo to top of page
Accommodation is in hand-picked and regularly monitored local, family-run guesthouses offering various levels of comfort with a personal touch. During this tour, you’ll stay in places that make you feel good and safe in lovely villages surrounded by trees and mountains.
*Hotels are subject to availability. In case a particular hotel is fully booked for your desired dates, we will replace it with a hotel of equal value and quality level. We will give you the exact accommodation details upon booking confirmation.
All meals (seven breakfasts, six picnic lunches and seven dinners) are included. During the tour, you will enjoy natural, regional and rich Turkish food. Evening meals consist of a soup or salads, a main course and fruit or sweet for dessert. Lunches will be picnics. Our packed lunches are wonderful, and we include plentiful trail snacks such as dried fruits and nuts.
Travel for Saint Paul TrailGo to top of page
Recommended arrival and departure airport: Antalya (complimentary airport transfers included).
Flight information can change rapidly, and not all flights run daily. Please do check directly with the airlines’ websites or Skyscanner before finalising any booking with us. Please do not book your flights before we have confirmed your booking.
A comprehensive and reputable travel insurance policy is essential to your enjoyment and peace of mind while on an active holiday. It is highly recommended when booking with us that all group members have a valid travel insurance which includes cover for all activities included in your trip. We have teamed up with to offer you adequate cover at a great value from a reputable insurer, and it takes only a few minutes to buy online.
Luggage transfer on walking days is included as per itinerary, and we will arrange it from your current hotel to your next hotel. After check out, you will leave baggage at the hotel reception, and you can start hiking. When you arrive at your next hotel, your bags will be at the hotel reception.
- This region of Turkey is considered safe. For up to date travel advice and country info, please check here.
- Timezone: GMT +3
- Language: Turkish. In big cities, many people speak English, but in remote areas, this might not be the case. However, most of the hotel staff where we stay speak English and are ready to help you. Road signs/markers are normally in both Turkish and Latin alphabet – and you can always call our 24/7 helpline if there are any problems.
- Electric supply and plugs: 220V, 50Hz, two-pin round plugs.
- Currency: Turkish Lira. We strongly recommend taking sufficient cash for your daily requirements. Banks and ATMs are not available outside of cities.
Trip Info for Saint Paul TrailGo to top of page
Difficulty Grade: Moderate
This holiday is suitable for walkers of good fitness (read more about difficulty grades).
The terrain is varying from steep rocky footpaths to cobbled paths. Routes are well signposted in most parts. We strongly advise you to follow only marked trails and never try to shorten the path through the unknown and unmarked terrain. We will provide you with detailed road notes and maps, and you can call our 24/7 local assistance phone number anytime. More detailed info on route navigation will be included in your holiday information pack.
When to Go
We can organise this walking tour between late April and June and from September till early November. July and August are too hot for making this trip. The flexibility of self-guided holidays means that there are no fixed dates and you can start your holiday on any date in the season – so please indicate desired beginning date when booking.
Winter temperatures are quite mild, with average highs around 15 °C (59 °F), while in summer the maximum temperatures are hot, ranging between 30 and 35 °C (86 and 95 °F). Rainfall is concentrated from mid-October to mid-April, when it can be abundant, and can sometimes be torrential, particularly on the slopes facing west and southwest. For more details, https://www.climatestotravel.com/climate/turkeyvisit.
What to Bring
Main luggage is limited to 25 kg. On walking days your main luggage is transported to the next accommodation. For your daily essentials, you should bring comfortable rucksack. Bringing good hiking shoes and a waterproof jacket is essential. Below is a non-exclusive list of what you should bring to this trip. We will include more detailed info in your holiday information pack. If you need further advice, please contact a reputable outdoor retailer or us.
- Good hiking boots;
- Walking sticks;
- Hiking socks;
- Several t-shirts (cotton or preferably breathable/fast drying);
- Packable waterproof and windproof jacket with hood;
- Synthetic mid layer or warm fleece;
- Trainers and/or sandals – to relax and wear inside accommodation;
- Sunglasses, sunscreen and lip salve;
- Hat/Baseball cap;
- Personal First Aid kit (wet wipes, flu remedies, stomach remedies).
Included for Saint Paul TrailGo to top of page
- Detailed pre-departure holiday information pack including GPS-checked and regularly updated route descriptions and road notes; maps with daily routes and optional hikes marked
- Accommodation for 7 nights in private rooms as listed in the itinerary
- 7 Breakfasts, 6 packed lunches on walking days and 7 dinners
- Transfers to trailheads as detailed in the itinerary
- Luggage transport to next hotel
- Transfers to/from Antalya airport
- 24/7 assistance by phone
Single Room & Solo Traveller Supplements
- Where individual members of a group require a single room, a single room supplement is applicable
- This holiday is available for solo travellers. As costs are not shared, a supplement is payable on the standard trip cost.
Options and Extras
- Extra nights Antalya
- On request, we can provide a private guide
- Airport transfers from/to airports other then Antalya
- Travel insurance
- Personal expenses such as drinks, phone calls, extra transfers, tips, etc.
- Any items not explicitly mentioned in the programme