Overview for Pyrenees Coastal Trails: Cadaqués to Collioure
Bathed in warm Mediterranean sunshine, and with the peaks of the Pyrenees providing a dramatic backdrop, the Spanish and French Catalan coast invites exploration on foot. Our Pyrenees Coastal Trails: Cadaqués to Collioure route takes you into one of the loveliest coastal areas of the Catalan Pyrenees on both sides of the French/Spanish border.
Unsurprisingly, the coast (in French the Côte Vermeille, in Spanish the Costa Brava) and its fishing villages have long attracted many artists, among them Dalí, Picasso and Matisse, who were drawn by the bright Mediterranean light. By walking from Cadaqués to Collioure along the coast, you will discover for yourself the lure and enchantment of this beautiful region.
Itinerary for Pyrenees Coastal Trails: Cadaqués to CollioureGo to top of page
Day 1: Arrival to Cadaquès
Arrive at Girona Airport or Figueres Vilafant train station (if landing in Barcelona), from where you will be transferred to your accommodation in Cadaquès and you will have a welcome meeting with an English speaking local guide.
Cadaqués is a beautiful whitewashed coastal town surrounded by mountains and was a favourite of both Picasso and Salvador Dalí. It is a great place for eating out; it has a great selection of restaurants ranging from small Mediterranean family-run restaurants to fresh fish restaurants, pizza cafes and tapas bars. We would recommend trying the seafood during your stay in Cadaqués, it’s always fresh and delicious when washed down with a bottle of chilled Catalan white wine.
- Overnight in a Cadaqués 3-star hotel, located very close to the beach and the centre of Cadaqués (Hotel Octavia). This family-run hotel is simple, clean and friendly.
- Optional upgrade to a hotel with a sea-view room, balcony and outdoor pool possible (Hotel Llanes Petit or similar)
Day 2: Cap de Creus
Today you embark on a beautiful walk out to the Cap de Creus, the most easterly point of mainland Spain with spectacular coastal views; the rock outcrops are one of the most significant features of the Parc Natural, with its complex and beautiful shapes. One sees images of real or mythical animals in the area (lions, dragons, camels, eagles, cats, rats…), despite the fact that it is the wind and the sea, and not the Gods, which have shaped the landscape. You could also eat lunch at the wonderful restaurant on the peninsula.
- Walking for the day: 16 km, 5-6 hours
- Overnight in the same 3-star hotel
Day 3: El Port de la Selva
Leaving Cadaqués behind, you make your way north through the heart of the famous Cap de Creus national park. You will follow a rural trail with beautiful views of the Catalan countryside, you’ll have some magnificent views of the Pyrenees and the French/Spanish border before arriving in El Port de la Selva.
El Port de la Selva is outstanding for its varied landscapes, its beaches and its mountains. The village retains the charm of a small fishing settlement and there are many places to visit, including the Taballera Dolmen and the Serra de Rodes medieval site, made up of Sant Pere de Rodes Monastery, Sant Salvado Castle (13th century), Santa Elena Shrine, the village of Santa Creu and Sant Fruitós Church. The village offers some of Catalonia’s best beaches.
- Walking for the day: 12 km, 4-5 hours
- Overnight in a 4-star hotel at El Port de la Selva (Porto Cristo)
Day 4: Llançà
Leaving El Port de la Selva behind you, walk northwest, ascending up to the Sant Pere de Rodes cloister (Open Oct 1st to May 31st 10 am – 5.30pm, June 1st to Sept. 30th from 10 am to 8 pm, closed on Mondays), considered one of the most important monasteries in Spain. You will then make your way up to the ruins of Castle of Sant Salvador, from here you will have a breathtaking view of the Alt Emporda, across to the Albera Mountains and far into the Pyrenees. You also have stunning views of the Bay of Roses and the entire Cap de Creus. You will then make down to the seaside town of Llançà.
- Walking for the day: 14 km, 4-5 hours
- Overnight in a 2-star hotel in Llançà (Grifeu)
Day 5: Banyules Sur Mer
Today you will take the train from Llanca to Portbou, you will then continue walking north and will enjoy wonderful views over the Pyrenees, the famous Canigou peak, the Cap de Creu and the Mediterranean Sea as you ascend up into the beautiful Catalan hills. You will cross the border into France and walk onwards until you reach the French seaside town of Banyules Sur Mer.
Nestled in the heart of the Côte Vermeille (Vermilion Coast), Banyuls is a preserved jewel that combines the authentic character of a town steeped in traditions with the dynamism of a modern city. Originally a fishing village that turned to wine-making and developed essentially with tourism, Banyuls owes its world reputation to its exceptional wines and its spectacular vineyards that plunge down to the sea.
- Walking for the day: 15 km, 5 hours
- Overnight in a 3-star hotel in Banyules Sur Mer (Le Catalan)
Day 6: Collioure
Heading north you follow quiet lanes and cliff-top paths around the rugged Cap Béar headland, the views are truly spectacular. There are a couple of spots where you can pause for a swim before winding your way through the vineyards that produce the region’s wines and finally reaching the end of your journey, the beautiful French coastal town of Collioure.
Of the four little salmon-pink towns along the Vermillion Coast, Collioure is the indisputable star, a picturesque ensemble of an old town, beaches, waterfront castle and church, all set around a beautiful bay. The resort has attracted artists since the early 1900s when Matisse and Derain started painting here. With several sandy and pebble beaches, creeks and clear waters you have a fantastic opportunity to enjoy a swim.
- Walking for the day: 17 km, 6 hours
- Overnight in a 3-star hotel in Collioure (Princes de Catalone)
Day 7: Departure or Onward Travel
You can either take a train from Ribes de Freser to Barcelona or if you are travelling to Girona you can take the bus from Ripoll. Optional transfer from Ribes de Freser to Ripoll bus station can be booked at a small extra charge.
Hotels for Pyrenees Coastal Trails: Cadaqués to CollioureGo to top of page
On this walking holiday, you will be staying in 3 and 4-star hotels. We have carefully hand-picked all places and regularly monitor their quality. We have tried to choose accommodations that offer friendly service, clean and comfortable rooms and local flavour.
- 3-star hotel, located very close to the beach and the centre of Cadaqués (Hotel Octavia). This family-run hotel is simple, clean and friendly. Optional upgrade to a hotel with a sea-view room, balcony and outdoor pool possible (Hotel Llanes Petit or similar).
- 4-star hotel at El Port de la Selva (Porto Cristo). The hotel is an old manor house from 1864, made with stones from the Cap de Creus. It’s been a hotel since 1960, it was totally refurbished in 2005 and is just a few meters from the beach. It has two restaurants and a panoramic lounge.
- 2-star hotel in Llançà (Grifeu). This family-run hotel enjoys an exceptional location, set right in front of the sea and with direct access to the beach. All the rooms are bathed in plenty of natural light and from the hotel terrace, you can marvel at the view over the beautiful Mediterranean Sea.
- 3-star hotel in Banyules Sur Mer (Le Catalan). Run by the welcoming Madame Rède, this well-equipped hotel perches on the slopes above Banyuls, with splendid views over the village and the Mediterranean Sea from the restaurant and the spacious bedrooms. There is an outdoor pool in which to cool off.
- Overnight in a 3-star hotel in Collioure (Princes de Catalone). Centrally located, just a short stroll from the harbour, this friendly hotel offers comfortable, relatively simple, air-conditioned rooms.
*Hotels are subject to availability. In case a particular hotel is fully booked for your desired dates, we will replace it with a hotel of equal value and quality level. We will provide exact accommodation details to you upon booking confirmation.
Breakfast is included. When no restaurant location is available on route lunches and snacks should either be bought from local shops, or packed lunch can be pre-ordered from your hotel the night before. Dinner is available either from the restaurant in your accommodation or restaurants in the village near your hotel.
Travel for Pyrenees Coastal Trails: Cadaqués to CollioureGo to top of page
Our recommended arrival airports for this holiday are Girona and Barcelona.
Our recommended departure airports for this holiday are Perpignan, Girona and Barcelona.
Please note that flight information can change rapidly, and not all flights run daily. Please do check directly with the airlines’ websites or Skyscanner before finalising any booking with us. Please do not book your flights before we have confirmed your booking.
Transfers to/from Airports
There are regular flights from many European cities to Girona airport, the closest airport for this holiday, most of which are operated by Ryanair. The private transfer from Girona airport to your first accommodation (included) takes approximately 1 hour 30 minutes.
There is a wider choice of airlines flying into Barcelona including Ryanair and Easyjet. You need to take the shuttle train to Barcelona Sants from the airport; they leave every 30 mins and take approx. 20 mins. You then change trains at Sants and take a train to Figueres Vilafant (53 minutes) or Figueres (approx 2 hours) depending on the train you take. The private transfer from Figueres or Figueres Vilafant (included) to your first accommodation takes approximately 30 minutes.
See train times here: http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/
There are trains every hour from Collioure to Perpignan if you are flying out of Perpignan airport (€6 and 26 minutes).
There are several trains a day from Collioure to Girona and Barcelona (between €30 and €49 and 2 hours and 3 hours 30 minutes depending on what train you take).
See train times here: http://en.voyages-sncf.com/en/
All hotel to hotel luggage transfers on walking days are included (maximum one piece of 20 kg per person).
Up-to-date travel advice on Spain is available here.
Up-to-date travel advice on France is available here.
Detailed travel information and hints will be provided in your holiday information pack.
Trip Info for Pyrenees Coastal Trails: Cadaqués to CollioureGo to top of page
Difficulty Grade: Moderate
This holiday is appropriate for experienced walkers (no high mountain experience required) and requires a good level of fitness (read more about difficulty grades).
We strongly advise you to follow only marked trails and never try to shorten the path through the unknown and unmarked terrain. We will provide you with detailed road notes and maps, and you can call our 24/7 local assistance phone number anytime. More detailed info on route navigation will be included in your holiday information pack.
When to Go
This trip is available from January until November.
The flexibility of self-guided holidays means that there are no fixed dates and you can start your trip on any date in the season – so please indicate desired beginning date when booking.
The climate is Alpine (cold mountain climate) in the Pyrenees and it’s Mediterranean along the coast. In the area at the foot of the Pyrenees the climate is cooler than in the south-central region; in addition, this area is exposed to outbreaks of cold air, with strong winds, in winter. Summer is cool, with possible afternoon thunderstorms, but given the position, some Atlantic fronts can pass also in this season.
On the coast, the climate is Mediterranean, with mild and relatively rainy winters, and hot and sunny summers, in which the air is humid, but tempered by the breeze. Due to its northern location, the climate is quite cold in winter, the rains have two maxima in spring and autumn, and some occasional disturbances may pass also in summer.
What to Bring
We recommend that you travel as light as possible – airlines might charge you an extra fee, and during ground transfers, the place might be limited. Ideally, you should bring one piece of luggage weighing not more than 20 kg (to be checked in) and a daily pack (15 – 20 l rucksack) for your everyday essentials (snacks, drinking water, camera, etc.). Below is a non-exclusive list of what you should bring to this trip. More detailed info will be included in your holiday information pack. If you need further advice, please contact a reputable outdoor retailer or us.
- Good hiking boots
- Hiking socks
- Several t-shirts (cotton or preferably breathable/fast drying)
- Packable waterproof and windproof jacket with hood
- Synthetic mid layer or warm fleece
- Trainers and/or sandals – to relax and wear inside accommodation
- Sunglasses, sunscreen and lip salve
- Hat/Baseball cap
- Personal First Aid kit (wet wipes, flu remedies, stomach remedies)
Included for Pyrenees Coastal Trails: Cadaqués to CollioureGo to top of page
- Holiday information pack including GPS-checked and regularly updated route descriptions, road notes and maps (electronic copy + one printed copy per party)
- Welcome meet & greet
- 7 nights in 3 and 4-star hotels with breakfast included
- Luggage transfers from hotel to hotel on all walking days
- Private transfer from Girona Airport or Figueres / Figueres Vilafant to the first hotel on Day 1
- 24/7 assistance by phone
Single Room & Solo Traveller Supplements
- Where individual members of a group require a single room, a single room supplement is applicable.
- This holiday is available for solo travellers. As costs are not shared, a supplement is payable on the standard trip cost
Please click the CHECK AVAILABILITY button above to see the price of the holiday and the different options, extras and supplements for your desired dates.
Other Trip-Related Costs
- Entrance fees for attractions and museums
- Ferry, train and bus tickets not mentioned in the itinerary
- Flights and airport transfers other than Girona Airport transfer on Day 1
- Lunches and dinners on all days
- Travel insurance
- Personal expenses such as snacks, drinks, phone calls, extra transfers, tips, etc.
- Any items not specifically mentioned as ‘included’ in the program
Extensions and Optional Extras
- Optional upgrade to a hotel with a sea-view room, balcony and outdoor pool (Hotel Llanes Petit or similar) on Day 1
- Extra night in a 3-star hotel in Collioure after the holiday