Overview for Lycian Way Short Trek
The Lycian Way Trail from Fethiye to Antalya is considered as one of the most beautiful hiking trails in the world. This short break is a condensed version of our Lycian Way East seven-night walking holiday, combining some of its walks into a more strenuous, five-night itinerary.
- Walk the best parts of the eastern section of Turkey’s Lycian Way
- Experience an authentic, less-travelled side of Turkey
- See the eternal flames of Chimaera
- Explore the ruins of Olympos, dating back to 300 BC
- Fantastic views over turquoise seas from Cape Gelidonya’s lighthouse
- Stroll the streets of Antalya’s vibrant old town
Itinerary for Lycian Way Short TrekGo to top of page
Day 1: Arrival. Transfer to Antalya Old Town
Arrive at Antalya Airport and enjoy our complimentary transfer to your hotel in Antalya’s historical Old Town (15 km / 20 minutes). Meet our representative who will brief you on the walks and give you the maps and the documentation needed for your trip.
Day 2: Walk from Gedelme to Ovacik, Ovacik Circular Walk
Transfer to the trailhead above the village of Gedelme in the mountains of the Olympos National Park (56 km / 1.5 hours). First, you walk through high pine forests, then through gorges to an alpine pasture. Enjoy the views of the Tahtalı Dağı (2,370 m) and the sea. Your destination is the mountain village of Ovacık. After you reach Ovacik you will do a circular walk via the village Kozarasi and back to Ovacik.
- Accommodation: Gül Mountain Resort
- Walking for the day: 21 km, 7h ↑1,000m ↓700m
Day 3: The Eternal Flames of Chimaera, Adrasan Bay
- Accommodation: Papirus Hotel
- Walking for the day: 24 km, 8-9h ↑900m ↓1,200m
Day 4: Karaoz to Adrasan
The morning starts with a transfer to the start of the walk (45 mins). You start your walking tour with a marvellous view from the lighthouse Gelidonya onto the Chelidonia Islands (Besadalar). Follow the trail to reach your hotel in Adrasan.
- Accommodation: Papirus Hotel
- Walking for the day: 23 km, 7h ↑900m ↓1,150m
Day 5: Göynük Gorge
First you will get a transfer to Mezarlikdibi village in the mountains of Olympos National Park. Your hike starts above the village at an altitude of 970 m. Your hike will take you through small settlements and pine forests to Göynük mountain village and then further via Göynük canyon to sea level at Göynük. Enjoy the views of Mt. Tahtalı (2,370 m) and the sea. Transfer to Antalya.
Day 6: Departure or Onward travel
Return home or individual stay extension.
Hotels for Lycian Way Short TrekGo to top of page
Accommodation is in hand-picked and regularly monitored hotels offering good levels of comfort.
*Hotels are subject to availability. In case a particular hotel is fully booked for your desired dates we will replace it with a hotel of equal value and quality level. We will give you exact accommodation details upon booking confirmation.
Breakfast is always included. Dinner, a packed lunch and a bottle of mineral water are included on Days 2-4. In Antalya, there are multiple restaurants and taverns where you can sample the incredible local cuisine.
Travel for Lycian Way Short TrekGo to top of page
Recommended arrival and departure airport: Antalya.
Please note that flight information can change rapidly, and not all flights run daily. Please do check directly with the airlines’ websites or Skyscanner before finalising any booking with us. Please do not book your flights before we have confirmed your booking.
You have all private transfers arranged for you according to the itinerary.
Luggage transfer on walking days is included as per itinerary and we will arrange it from your current hotel to your next hotel. After check out, you will leave baggage at the hotel reception, and you can start hiking. When you arrive at your next hotel, your baggage will be at the hotel reception.
A comprehensive and reputable travel insurance policy is essential to your enjoyment and peace of mind while on an active holiday. It is highly recommended when booking with us that all group members have a valid travel insurance which includes cover for all activities included in your trip. We have teamed up with to offer you adequate cover at a great value from a reputable insurer, and it takes only a few minutes to buy online.
- This region of Turkey is considered safe. For up to date travel advice and country info, please check here.
- Timezone: GMT +3
- Language: Turkish. In big cities, many people speak English, but in remote areas, this might not be the case. However, most of the hotel staff where we stay speak English and are ready to help you. Road signs/markers are normally in both Turkish and Latin alphabet – and you can always call our 24/7 helpline if there are any problems.
- Electric supply and plugs: 220V, 50Hz, two-pin round plugs.
- Currency: Turkish Lira. We strongly recommend taking sufficient cash for your daily requirements. Banks and ATMs are not available outside of cities.
Trip Info for Lycian Way Short TrekGo to top of page
Difficulty Grade: Moderate to Strenuous
Suitable for active hikers with a good level of fitness looking for more demanding and challenging hikes. Total walking distance is 84 km, and average daily walking distance is 16 km per walking day, while total elevation gain is 3,450 m (860 m per walking day) (read more about difficulty grades).
The terrain is varying from steep rocky footpaths to cobbled paths. Routes are well signposted in most parts. It is strongly suggested to follow only marked trails.
We strongly advise you to follow only marked trails and never try to shorten the path through the unknown and unmarked terrain. We will provide you with detailed road notes and maps and you can call our 24/7 local assistance phone number anytime. More detailed info on route navigation will be included in your holiday information pack.
When to Go
We can organise this walking tour between March and June and September till November. July and August are too hot for making this trip. Weather is best in the autumn. The flexibility of self-guided holidays means that there are no fixed dates and you can start your holiday on any date in the season – so please indicate desired beginning date when booking.
Winter temperatures are quite mild, with average highs around 15 °C (59 °F), while in summer the maximum temperatures are hot, ranging between 30 and 35 °C (86 and 95 °F). Rainfall is concentrated from mid-October to mid-April, when it can be abundant, and can sometimes be torrential, particularly in the slopes facing west and southwest. In Antalya, about 1,000 mm (40 in) of rain per year fall, but it almost never rains from June to September. For more details, https://www.climatestotravel.com/climate/turkeyvisit.
What to Bring
Main luggage is limited to 25 kg. On walking days your main luggage is transported to the next accommodation. For your daily essentials, you should bring a comfortable rucksack. Bringing good hiking shoes and waterproof jacket is essential. Below is a non-exclusive list of what you should bring to this trip. We will include more detailed info in your holiday information pack. If you need further advice, please contact a reputable outdoor retailer or us.
- Good hiking boots;
- Hiking socks;
- Several t-shirts (cotton or preferably breathable/fast drying);
- Packable waterproof and windproof jacket with hood;
- Synthetic mid layer or warm fleece;
- Trainers and/or sandals – to relax and wear inside accommodation;
- Sunglasses, sunscreen and lip salve;
- Hat/Baseball cap;
- Personal First Aid kit (wet wipes, flu remedies, stomach remedies).
Included for Lycian Way Short TrekGo to top of page
- Detailed pre-departure holiday information pack including GPS-checked and regularly updated route descriptions and road notes; maps with daily routes and optional hikes marked
- Accommodation for 5 nights in private en-suite rooms as listed in itinerary
- 5 breakfasts
- 4 packed lunches and 3 dinners
- Luggage transport to next hotel
- Transfers to/from airport
- 24/7 assistance by phone
Single Room & Solo Traveller Supplements
- Where individual members of a group require a single room, a single room supplement is applicable
- This holiday is available for solo travellers. As costs are not shared, a supplement is payable on the standard trip cost.
- Lunches and dinners on first and last day
- Travel insurance
- Personal expenses such as drinks, phone calls, extra transfers, tips, etc.
- Any items not explicitly mentioned in the program
- One extra night in Antalya before and/or after the holiday
Gallery for Lycian Way Short TrekGo to top of page
Reviews for Lycian Way Short TrekGo to top of page
Submit your review
We had another great holiday thank you. Lovely area, great walks and nice quirky hotels. Logistically everything worked smoothly. My only criticism is that the walks were tougher than the equivalently graded walks we did last year in Albania. They felt more strenuous than moderate, particularly days 2 and 4.