Overview for Julian Alps Traverse and Mount Triglav
Take one of the more spectacular treks in Europe, traversing the stunning Julian Alps with an optional climb of Mount Triglav, the highest in Slovenia. The jagged limestone peaks offer some of Europe’s best scenery and walking, with Mount Triglav at the centre of the range, and the glacial lakes of Bohinj and Bled far below.
This traverse will reward you with green meadows, deep valleys, impressive peaks and, of course, the option to climb the majestic Mount Triglav. Walk across high passes and through Alpine meadows and recharge at night with delicious mountain cuisine in simple mountain huts. This tour requires some experience of walking at high altitudes and narrow trails. Your main luggage will be transferred directly from first to last accommodation as the mountain huts are not accessible by cars.
- Experience breathtaking scenery of high mountain peaks and lakes
- Beautiful Triglav National Park and Triglav Lakes Valley
- Stay in rustic mountain huts
- Walk surrounded by dramatic mountain scenery
- Climb Mt Krn (2244 m) and Mr Razor (2601m)
- Option to summit Mt Triglav (2864m) – the highest peak of the Julian Alps
- Explore the magic Tolmin Gorges
- Finish in the picturesque town of Bled with its famous lake
Itinerary for Julian Alps Traverse and Mount TriglavGo to top of page
Day 1: Arrival at Kranjska Gora
Arrive at Kranjska Gora (well connected by train/bus to Ljubljana and Klagenfurt airports). Introductory meeting with our representative. Optional afternoon walk to Tromeja – the triple border point of Austria, Slovenia and Italy (1508m) or Belopeška lakes (Laghi di Fusine) (929m).
- Accommodation: 3 or 4-star hotel (Miklic or similar) in private en-suite rooms
- Walking for the day: none / 3-4 hours
Day 2: Planica to Vršič Mountain Pass
Breakfast in hotel and short transfer to Planica (910m). Then walk from Planica through Tamar Valley and Slemenova Špica (1911m) to Vršič Mountain Pass (1611m) and the hut where you will spend the night (1737m). In the morning your main luggage will be transferred to Tolmin (your Day 7 accommodation).
- Accommodation: Poštarski dom na Vršiču, dormitory with shared facilities, breakfast and dinner included
- Walking for the day: 5-6 hours, ↑1000m, ↓300m (add 2 hours, ↑300m, ↓300m for the optional Mt Razor climb)
Day 3: Poštarski Dom to Pogačnikov Dom. Optional climb of Mount Razor
- Accommodation: Pogačnikov Dom Mountain Hut, dormitory with shared facilities, breakfast and dinner included
- Walking for the day: 5-6 hours, ↑700m, ↓300m (add 2 hours, ↑300m, ↓300m for the optional Mt Razor climb)
Day 4: Pogačnikov Dom to Koča na Doliču
- Accommodation: Koča na Doliču Mountain Hut, dormitory with shared facilities, breakfast and dinner included
- Walking for the day: 6-7 hours, ↑450m, ↓300m
Day 5: Koča na Doliču to Koča pri Triglavskih Jezerih. Optional climb of Mount Triglav
- Accommodation: Triglav Lakes Mountain Hut, breakfast and dinner included
- Walking for the day: 6 hours, ↑200m, ↓750m (add 3 hours, ↑720m, ↓720m for the optional climb of Mt Triglav)
Day 6: Koča pri Triglavskih Jezerih to Krnskih Jezerih
Walk from Koča pri Triglavskih Jezerih via Koča pod Bogatinom (1513m) to Planinski dom pri Krnskih jezerih (1385m).
- Accommodation: Krn Lakes Mountain Hut, breakfast and dinner included
- Walking for the day: 6 hours, ↑200m, ↓500m
Day 7: Krnskih Jezerih – Mount Krn – Tolmin
Walk from Planinski dom pri Krnskih jezerih via Krn Lakes, Mt Krn (2244m) to the famous Tolmin Gorges and Tolmin town (258m)
- Accommodation: 3-star hotel in Tolmin (Dvorec or similar), private en-suite rooms, breakfast included
- Walking for the day: 7-8 hours, ↑1000m, ↓2000m
Day 8: Lake Bled Panoramic Walks or Departure
Private transfer to Most na Soči and by train to Lake Bled. Bled is a place that attracts visitors with its combination of natural wonders and unique culture and history. The surrounding area offers plenty of excellent hiking opportunities, including a walk to the stunning Vintgar Gorge. There is a ,600-metre long walk on a wooden walkway, which leads through the scenic gorge along the Radovna River to the Sum Waterfall. Heading east, following well-marked signs for Bled, you have about 1 km to the Church of St. Catherine. From here it’s about 4 km back to Bled Lake. If you prefer a nice leisurely stroll on your final day, a hike around the lake takes about 1 hour.
- Accommodation: no accommodation included, you can book however an extra night in the 4-star Triglav Hotel on lake shore, or a similar 3 or 4-star hotel in Bled
- Walking for the day: depends on walking route chosen
Hotels for Julian Alps Traverse and Mount TriglavGo to top of page
Accommodation is in 3 or 4-star hotels (2 nights) and in mountain huts in dormitories with shared facilities (5 nights). Please see the itinerary above for accommodation details.
*Hotels are subject to availability. In case a particular hotel is fully booked for your desired dates we will replace it with a hotel of equal value and quality level. We will provide to you exact accommodation details upon booking confirmation.
Breakfast is included on all days as well as dinners on the five nights in the huts. In towns each hotel has its own restaurant where you can taste international or Slovenian meals or you can also try Slovenian cuisine in local restaurants. Each hiking day passes by several mountain huts with restaurant facilities where you can get water and lunch – or you can pre-order a packed lunch on previous night.
Travel for Julian Alps Traverse and Mount TriglavGo to top of page
Recommended arrival and departure airport: Ljubljana
Flight information can change rapidly and not all flights run daily. Please do check directly with the airlines’ websites or Skyscanner before finalising any booking with us. Please do not book your flights before we have confirmed your booking.
Transfers to/from Airports
Transfers from Ljubljana Airport to Kranjska Gora and from Bled to Ljubljana are very easy by public transport.
You can also book at an extra cost private airport or Ljubljana transfers on Day 1 and Day 8.
Baggage transfer is NOT included as the huts are not reachable by car. Your main luggage will be transferred in the morning of Day 2 and wait for you in the Tolmin hotel on Day 7.
For up to date travel advice and country info, please check here.
Trip Info for Julian Alps Traverse and Mount TriglavGo to top of page
Difficulty Grade: Moderate to Strenuous
This holiday is appropriate for experienced hikers. Average walking distance is 12 km per day while total elevation gain is 3,000 m and average daily elevation gain is 600 m (read more about difficulty grades).
You will walk on hiking trails, most of them in the Alpine zone, with mostly rocky terrain. The trails are very well signposted and we provide detailed route notes (no GPS tracks necessary). We strongly advise you to follow only marked trails and never try to shorten the path through the unknown and unmarked terrain. You can call our 24/7 local assistance phone number anytime. More detailed info on route navigation will be included in your holiday information pack.
When to Go
This tour can be organized between mid-June and September. The itinerary contains routes which are closed to the public during winter and spring. Best month for hiking is August.
The flexibility of self-guided holidays means that there are no fixed dates and you can start your holiday on any date in the season – so please indicate desired starting date when booking.
Climate is mostly of a mountain and alpine character, cold and moist influenced by high altitudes. Snow cover in valleys and peaks persists from 180 to 250 days of a year. Windy weather is typical and during summer afternoon storms are usual. Average temperature in July is 15°C.
What to Bring
You should bring a comfortable rucksack which should hold your luggage for Days 2-7. It is essential to bring good hiking shoes and waterproof jacket.
On Day 2 your main luggage gets collected at the Kranjska Gora hotel and is safely stored until you reach Tolmin at the end of the high mountain walk on day 7. You will not have access to it until then, so make sure you have everything you need in your backpack. Below is a non-exclusive list of what you should bring to this trip. More detailed info will be included in your holiday information pack. If you need further advice, please contact us or a reputable outdoor retailer.
- Good hiking boots;
- Hiking socks;
- Several t-shirts (preferably breathable/fast drying);
- Packable waterproof and windproof jacket with hood;
- Synthetic mid layer or warm fleece;
- Trainers and/or sandals – to relax and wear inside accommodation;
- Sunglasses, sunscreen and lip salve;
- Hat/Baseball cap;
- Personal First Aid kit (wet wipes, flu remedies, stomach remedies).
Included for Julian Alps Traverse and Mount TriglavGo to top of page
- Detailed holiday information pack including GPS-checked and regularly updated route descriptions and road notes; maps with daily routes and optional hikes marked
- Arrival meeting
- Accommodation on 2 nights in hand-picked 3 to 4-star hotels
- Accommodation on 5 nights in mountain cabins, dormitories with shared facilities
- 7 breakfasts
- 5 dinners
- Private transfer from Kranjska Gora to Planica (day 1)
- Private transfer from Tolmin to Most na Soci (day 1)
- Private transfer to Most na Soči and by train to Lake Bled (day 8)
- Transfer of main luggage from Kranjska Gora to Tolmin (day 7)
- 24/7 phone assistance by our local representative
- Single room supplement: Where individual members of a group require a single room, a single room supplement is applicable. It is available only for hotel overnights on Days 1 and 7 (not for the mountain cabins where accommodation is in dormitories)
- This holiday is available for solo travellers; as accommodation and transfer costs are not shared, a solo traveller supplement is applicable
*To calculate the price of the tour for a specific date, including the cost of different options and supplements, please click the CHECK AVAILABILITY button above, pick your date and number of people. On the next screen you can choose desired options and extras and see the total price of your holiday before you decide whether to submit a booking enquiry.
Options and Extras
- Private airport transfers to/from airport
- Flights and connecting land transfers to first / from last accommodation from/to airports
- Lunches, drinks & snacks
- Travel insurance
- Luggage transfers on walking days
- Personal expenses such as phone calls, extra transfers, tips, etc.
- Any items not specifically mentioned in the program
- Guided climb of Mt Triglav including helmet and climbing gear rental
- One extra night at a 3 or 4-star hotel in Bled after the holiday
- One extra night in Ljubljana, the charming capital of Slovenia, before or after the holiday