Overview for Julian Alps and Mount Triglav
Take Julian Alps and Mount Triglav, one of the more spectacular treks in Europe across the stunning Julian Alps and summit Mount Triglav, the highest in Slovenia, privately guided by a licensed mountain guide. The jagged limestone peaks offer some of Europe’s best scenery and walking, with Mount Triglav at the centre of the range, and the glacial lakes of Bohinj and Bled far below.
This trek will reward you with green meadows, deep valleys, impressive peaks and, of course, the option to climb the majestic Mount Triglav. Walk across high passes and through Alpine meadows and recharge at night with delicious mountain cuisine at simple but welcoming mountain huts. This tour requires some experience of walking at high altitudes and narrow trails.
- Experience breathtaking scenery of high mountain peaks and lakes
- Beautiful Triglav National Park and Triglav Lakes Valley
- Stay in charming mountain huts
- Summit Mt Triglav (2864m) – the highest peak of the Julian Alps
- Take in the picturesque lakes of Bled and Bohinj
Itinerary for Julian Alps and Mount TriglavGo to top of page
Day 1: Arrival to Lake Bled
Arrive at Ljubljana Airport and take either a public or a private transfer to your hotel at Lake Bled. Meet our representative who will brief you on the walks and give you the maps and the documentation needed for your trip. Walk around the beautiful glacial Lake Bled, one of the most picturesque locations in the world, with its unique island church sitting proudly in the lake, and the castle perched high upon a cliff standing guard over the town. You can optionally book an extra night in Bled and enjoy some great panoramic walks in the area.
- Accommodation: 4-star Triglav Hotel on lake shore, or a similar 3 or 4-star hotel in Bled
- Walking for the day: none / walk around the lake
Day 2: Pokljuka – Planika or Dolic Hut
Day 3: Planika Hut – Mt Triglav – Vodnikov Dom
Time to climb to the top of Mt. Triglav, towering high above Planika Hut. This is best done very early in the morning so you may enjoy the sunrise and the stunning views. After traditional baptism, receiving the honours for climbing the “Three Headed Mountain” and thus becoming a real Slovene, you will start your descent. A short stop for lunch at Kredarica hut and you’ll head for your day’s destination – Vodnikov dom above Bohinj Valley
- Accommodation: Vodnikov Dom Hut, dormitory with shared facilities
- Walking for the day: 6.3 km, ↑610m, ↓1290m, 4-5 hrs
Day 4: Down to Lake Bohinj
- Accommodation: Kristal Family Hotel or similar
- Walking for the day: 14 km, ↑430m, ↓1720m, 5-6 hrs
Day 5: Extra night Bohinj or Departure
Enjoy an extra day at Lake Bohinj or departure by public transport (private transfers bookable on request).
Hotels for Julian Alps and Mount TriglavGo to top of page
Accommodation is in 3 or 4-star hotels (2 nights) and in mountain huts in dormitories with shared facilities (2 nights). Please see the itinerary above for accommodation details.
*Hotels are subject to availability. In case a particular hotel is fully booked for your desired dates we will replace it with a hotel of equal value and quality level. We will provide to you exact accommodation details upon booking confirmation.
Breakfast is included on all days. Dinner can be ordered from an a la carte menu in the huts. In towns each hotel has its own restaurant where you can taste international or Slovenian meals or you can also try Slovenian cuisine in other local restaurants. Each hiking day passes by several mountain huts with restaurant facilities where you can get water and lunch – or you can pre-order a packed lunch on previous night.
Travel for Julian Alps and Mount TriglavGo to top of page
Recommended arrival and departure airport: Ljubljana
Flight information can change rapidly and not all flights run daily. Please do check directly with the airlines’ websites or Skyscanner before finalising any booking with us. Please do not book your flights before we have confirmed your booking.
Transfers to/from Airports
Transfers from Ljubljana Airport to Bled and from Ribcev Laz to Ljubljana are very easy by public transport.
You can also book at an extra cost private airport or Ljubljana transfers on Day 1 and Day 5.
Baggage transfer to the huts is NOT included as the huts are not reachable by car. Your main luggage will be transferred in the morning of Day 2 and wait for you in the Bohinj hotel on Day 4.
For up to date travel advice and country info, please check here.
Trip Info for Julian Alps and Mount TriglavGo to top of page
Difficulty Grade: Moderate to Strenuous
This holiday is appropriate for experienced hikers. Average walking is 4-6 hours per day. You will be accompanied by a qualified mountain guide. There are via ferrata sections on day 3, you will need to use hands too. Not suitable for anyone with a vertigo problem, nor for children under 16 years (read more about difficulty grades).
You will walk on hiking trails, most of them in the Alpine zone, with mostly rocky terrain. The trails are very well signposted and you will be accompanied by a certified mountain guide. We strongly advise you to follow only marked trails and never try to shorten the path through the unknown and unmarked terrain. More detailed info on route navigation will be included in your holiday information pack.
When to Go
This tour can be organized between early July and early September. The itinerary contains high altitude routes which are closed to the public during winter, spring and early summer. Best month for hiking is August.
The flexibility of privately guided holidays means that there are no fixed dates and you can start your holiday on any date in the season – so please indicate desired starting date when booking.
Climate is mostly of a mountain and alpine character, cold and moist influenced by high altitudes. Snow cover in valleys and peaks persists from 180 to 250 days of a year. Windy weather is typical and during summer afternoon storms are usual. Average temperature in July is 15°C.
What to Bring
You should bring a comfortable rucksack which should hold your luggage for Days 2-7. It is essential to bring good hiking shoes and waterproof jacket.
On Day 2 your main luggage gets collected at the Bled hotel and is safely stored until you reach Ribcev Laz at the end of the high mountain walk on day 4. You will not have access to it until then, so make sure you have everything you need in your backpack. Below is a non-exclusive list of what you should bring to this trip. Via Ferrata equipment (harness, helmet) for the Mt Triglav climb will be provided by us. More detailed info will be included in your holiday information pack. If you need further advice, please contact us or a reputable outdoor retailer.
- Good hiking boots;
- Hiking socks;
- Several t-shirts (preferably breathable/fast drying);
- Packable waterproof and windproof jacket with hood;
- Synthetic mid layer or warm fleece;
- Trainers and/or sandals – to relax and wear inside accommodation;
- Sunglasses, sunscreen and lip salve;
- Hat/Baseball cap;
- Personal First Aid kit (wet wipes, flu remedies, stomach remedies).
Included for Julian Alps and Mount TriglavGo to top of page
- Pre-departure information pack
- IFMA licensed private Alpine high-altitude guide from day 2 to and including day 4
- Via Ferrata equipment (harness, helmet) for the Mt Triglav climb
- Accommodation on 2 nights in hand-picked 3 to 4-star hotels
- Accommodation on 2 nights in mountain cabins, dormitories with shared facilities, limited water and wi-fi
- 4 breakfasts
- Private transfer from Bled to Pokljuka (Day 2)
- Transfer of main luggage from Bled to Bohinj (day 4)
- 24/7 phone assistance by our local representative
- Single room supplement: Where individual members of a group require a single room, a single room supplement is available only for hotel overnights on Days 1 and 4 (not for the mountain cabins where accommodation is in dormitories)
- This privately guided holiday is NOT available for solo travellers
*To calculate the price of the tour for a specific date, including the cost of different options and supplements, please click the CHECK AVAILABILITY button above, pick your date and number of people. On the next screen you can choose desired options and extras and see the total price of your holiday before you decide whether to submit a booking.
Options and Extras
- Private airport transfers to/from airport
- Extra nights in Bled, Bohinj and Ljubljana
- Flights and connecting land transfers to first / from last accommodation from/to airports
- Lunches, dinners, drinks & snacks
- Travel insurance
- Luggage transfers on walking days
- Personal expenses such as phone calls, extra transfers, tips, etc.
- Any items not specifically mentioned in the programme