Overview for Corfu Trail Highlights
Corfu, the greenest Ionian island, has the iconic long-distance Corfu Trail leading from the southern tip of the island to its northernmost point. On this classic eight-day moderate itinerary you will start at the very beginning of the trail, and walk its best and most picturesque sections.
- Arkoudilas Beach
- Santa Barbara/ Marathia Beach
- Issos Dunes and Lake
- West coast at Paramonas
- Strongili village
- Stavros View Point
- Agios Georgios
Itinerary for Corfu Trail HighlightsGo to top of page
Day 1: Arrival. Asprokavos
Arrive at Corfu Airport and enjoy our complimentary transfer to your hotel at Asprokavos (22 km / 30 minutes). Meet our representative who will brief you on the walks and give you the maps and the documentation needed for your trip. If arriving in the morning, afternoon optional loop walk Asprokavos-Spartera-Asprokavos. The shortest walk of the Corfu trail leads you to the southernmost tip of Corfu, where you will find the ruins of a monastery. You will continue through a forest to reach the sandy beach of Arkoudilas, where you will walk by the southern shore of the island to the northern end of the beach from where you walk up to the village of Spartera and back along the road to Asprokavos.
- Accommodation: Mediterranean Blue Aparthotel
- Walking for the day: none / 12 km, 3.5 hours, 250 m elevation gain
Day 2: Asprokavos to Santa Barbara
Crossing the island to the East through olive groves and fields you reach Lefkimmi. Here, your path takes you through the old neighbourhoods and historic city centre of the town with its many churches. Leaving Lefkimmi you will descend into the green valley of the Gardeno River. The last section of today´s walk leads you up again, so you will have splendid views of both the east and west coast of the island, before you descend to the west coast to reach the beach at Santa Barbara.
- Accommodation: Perfect 10 Taverna’s studio apartments
- Walking for the day: 22 km, 7 hours, 350 m ascent
Day 3: Santa Barbara to Paramonas
- Accommodation: Varangouli Apartments
- Walking for the day: 20 km, 6 hours, 150 m ascent
Day 4: Paramonas to Benitses
Breakfast at Sunset tavern on the beach of Paramonas. As soon as you leave Paramonas you will walk up on paths through olive groves. Once you reach the top, the views over the coastline are amazing. On the descent you pass through small villages (Ano Pavliana, Kato Pavliana, and Vouniatades) to continue your walk through a heathland valley. After the village of Strongili your way climbs again to reach today´s highest point at Dafnata, from where you have beautiful views. Afterwards, you descend on the road to Coyevinas from where a forest trail takes you down to the coast at Benitses, where you will find many options to have a delicious goodbye dinner.
- Accommodation: Benitses Arches Hotel
- Walking for the day: 19 km, 6-7 hours, 650 m ascent
Day 5: Agii Deka (Stavros) to Pelekas
Short transfer to Agii Deka Mountain. The second highest peak of Corfu is on the program today, Agi Deka Mountain. Narrow and old footpaths will lead you through forests and an impressive landscape of huge limestone rocks. After the village of Ano Garouna you will climb up steeply to the summit of Agi Deka, where you have great views towards the south. You descend through a forest to the picturesque village of Agi Deka. After this descent, it is almost level walking to another picturesque village, Sinarades, from where you continue through the olive groves to Pelekas, located on a hilltop.
- Accommodation: Jimmy’s Pension or similar BB
- Walking for the day: 18 km, 6 hours, 650 m ascent
Day 6: Giannades to Agios Georgios
A steep and rocky footpath brings you towards the old village of Lakones. Views over the west coast and Paleokastritsa are stunning. You walk on the road through Lakones and soon gain a view of Angelokastro, a Byzantine castle which served to protect the North of the island from pirate attacks. Coming out of an olive grove, you can optionally walk the extra 1 km (one way) to Angelokastro for a worthwhile visit (calculate at least one extra hour). The next picturesque village you come through is Krini, and then you descend on trails with breath-taking views to the beach at Agios Georgios.
- Accommodation: Belle Helene hotel & studios or similar
- Walking for the day: 23 km, 7-8 hours, 600 m ascent
Day 7: Agios Georgios to Rekini
From the beach of Agios Georgios, you start out climbing steeply through olive groves to the traditional villages of Prinilas and Paghi. You then descend through a fertile valley towards the cluster of villages up on the other side: Aspiotades, Manatades, Agios Athanasios and Agros. Optionally, you can visit the Monastery of Jesus Christ Pantokrator, open every day except Monday, from 8 AM till 1 PM and from 4 PM till sunset. Then you walk through a valley and olive groves to reach the road junction at Rekini. Take the local bus (Euro 2 per person) or taxi (Euro 20 per car) (not included) to Roda.
- Accommodation: Pegasus hotel & studios, Roda
- Walking for the day: 14 km, 4-5 hours, 400 m ascent
Day 8: Departure or Onward Travel
Return home or individual stay extension.
Hotels for Corfu Trail HighlightsGo to top of page
Accommodation is in hand-picked studio apartments or small family operated hotels.
*Hotels are subject to availability. In case a particular hotel is fully booked for your desired dates we will replace it with a hotel of equal value and quality level. We will give to you exact accommodation details upon booking confirmation.
Breakfast is always included. Half board option is possible to order on site. In towns there are multiple restaurants and taverns where you can sample the incredible local cuisine.
Travel for Corfu Trail HighlightsGo to top of page
Recommended arrival and departure airport: Corfu.
Please note that only one airport transfer is included, though we can arrange additional transfers. It is advisable therefore that all party members arrive on the same flight or at least at a similar time.
Flight information can change rapidly and not all flights run daily. Please do check directly with the airlines’ websites or Skyscanner before finalising any booking with us. Please do not book your flights before we have confirmed your booking.
Transfers to/from Airports
Airport transfers are included. Please note that only one airport transfer per party is included, though additional transfers can be arranged. It is advisable therefore that all party members arrive on the same flight or at least at a similar time. Night transfer extra charges may be applicable on private transfers in case of late night arrivals.
You have all private transfers arranged for you according to itinerary, apart from the bus or taxi transfer on Day 7.
Luggage transfer is included as per itinerary and we will arrange it from your current hotel to your next hotel. After check out, you will leave baggage at the hotel reception and you can start hiking. When you arrive at your next hotel, your baggage will be at the hotel reception.
Country Info and Travel Advise
For up to date travel advice and country info, please check here.
Timezone: GMT +2
Language: Greek. In big cities many people speak English, but in remote areas this might not be the case. However most of the hotel staff where we stay speak English and are ready to help you. Road signs/markers are normally in both Greek and Latin alphabet – and you can always call our 24/7 help line if there are any problems.
Electric supply and plugs: 220V, 50Hz, two pin round plugs.
Currency: Euro (€). We strongly recommend taking adequate cash for your daily requirements. Banks and ATMs are not available outside of cities but credit/debit card payments are accepted in most places.
Cost of living: in Greece it is cheaper than in the UK. Some sample prices follow:
- 3-course meal in a standard restaurant: 12€
- A litre of mineral water from a street shop: 1€
- A cup of coffee: 2.5€
Trip Info for Corfu Trail HighlightsGo to top of page
Difficulty Grade: Moderate
This holiday is suitable for walkers of good fitness. All days include walks of a moderate grade (read more about difficulty grades).
Terrain is varying from steep rocky footpaths to cobbled paths and asphalted roads. Routes are well signposted.
We strongly advise you to follow only marked trails and never try to shorten the path through the unknown and unmarked terrain. We will provide you with detailed road notes and maps and you can call our 24/7 local assistance phone number anytime. More detailed info on route navigation will be included in your holiday information pack.
When to Go
This trip is available between 1 May and 24 June and between 1 September and 24 October. July and August are too hot for walking and the hotels may become overcrowded.
The flexibility of self-guided holidays means that there are no fixed dates and you can start your holiday on any date in the season – so please indicate desired starting date when booking.
Corfu has a hot-summer Mediterranean climate. For more details, visit https://www.climatestotravel.com/climate/greece/corfu.
What to Bring
Main luggage is limited to 25 kg. On walking days your main luggage is transported to the next accommodation. For your daily essentials, you should bring a comfortable rucksack. It is essential to bring good hiking shoes and waterproof jacket.
Below is a non-exclusive list of what you should bring to this trip. We will include more detailed info in your holiday information pack. If you need further advice, please contact us or a reputable outdoor retailer.
- Good hiking boots;
- Hiking socks;
- Several t-shirts (cotton or preferably breathable/fast drying);
- Packable waterproof and windproof jacket with hood;
- Synthetic mid layer or warm fleece;
- Trainers and/or sandals – to relax and wear inside accommodation;
- Sunglasses, sunscreen and lip salve;
- Hat/Baseball cap;
- Personal First Aid kit (wet wipes, flu remedies, stomach remedies).
Included for Corfu Trail HighlightsGo to top of page
- Detailed pre-departure holiday information pack including GPS-checked and regularly updated route descriptions and road notes; maps with daily routes and optional hikes marked
- Accommodation for 7 nights as listed in itinerary
- 7 breakfasts
- Luggage transport to next hotel
- Complimentary airport transfers to/from Corfu Airport
- 24/7 phone assistance by our Corfu office
- Single room supplement: Where individual members of a group require a single room, a single room supplement is applicable
- This holiday is available for solo travellers. As transfer and accommodation costs are not shared, a solo traveller supplement is payable
- High season supplement: due to the popularity of the area, hotels charge higher rates during the peak months and this is reflected in the tour price
*To calculate the price of the tour for a specific date, including the cost of different options and supplements, please click BOOK NOW above, pick your date and number of people. On the next screen you can choose desired options and extras and see the total price of your holiday before you decide whether to submit a booking enquiry.
- Flights and connecting land transfers to first / from last accommodation from/to airports other than Corfu Airport
- Lunches, dinners and snacks
- Travel insurance
- Personal expenses such as phone calls, extra transfers, tips, etc.
- Any items not specifically mentioned in the program
- Bus / taxi transfer on Day 7
(please choose when booking)
- One extra night in Corfu town before or after the holiday, or add extra nights in accommodations along the trail